Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Which Air Bags? RAM 3500

I'm going to look at a used 2018 SRW Ram 3500 tomorrow at a dealership in the next state over.
A friend of mine (who owns a towing company) was in the area and looked over the truck and took it for a test drive. Everything looked good to him (one buffable mark on the pass fender and a skuff mark near floor panel same side) and he test drove the truck on roads and the highway. He did say that it rode rough being a 1 ton truck on the 3/4 ton (SRW) frame.
My question is, what are the best air bags for load/towing and ride comfort?
Being a used truck I will be getting a great deal on the truck so I am not afraid to throw some money at comfort, if needed.
I am towing a 13K 5th wheel.
Thanks
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
I'm going to look at a used 2018 SRW Ram 3500 tomorrow at a dealership in the next state over.

A friend of mine (who owns a towing company) was in the area and looked over the truck and took it for a test drive. Everything looked good to him (one buffable mark on the pass fender and a skuff mark near floor panel same side) and he test drove the truck on roads and the highway. He did say that it rode rough being a 1 ton truck on the 3/4 ton (SRW) frame.

My question is, what are the best air bags for load/towing and ride comfort?

Being a used truck I will be getting a great deal on the truck so I am not afraid to throw some money at comfort, if needed.

I am towing a 13K 5th wheel.

Thanks

RMc

It will ride rough until a load is put on it. It’s not a 3/4 ton frame, either. Seems to be some confusion about what to expect and what it is.

Don’t throw parts at it until you drove it with the 5th wheel hooked up and then see how it rides.

All trucks ride different empty vs with a load. It’s a waste of time to spend money on the truck based on the empty ride and wanting to make it ride better with a load. Get what I’m saying?
Old 07-24-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Kindelman.. full air ride. or ride rite bags are basically your options.

But what is pin weight on your trailer? What is door sticker say for weight limits. I have a drw and like the way it tows.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #4

Diesel Drax
Copy that sir. Good call to hook up and see what is really needed. Was just wondering what air system I could get that would adjust out for the different rides,loaded and unloaded. Thanks for your info.
imjustdave
The pin is 2065 lbs. Have not seen the door sticker yet. Will tomorrow.
Thanks for the product recommendations.
RMc
Old 07-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

AIR-Lift have great systems . you can adjust on the go or just use the key fob controller
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #6

Anyone used Sulastic shackles? I guess they are supposed to improve ride quality significantly.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

Roadmaster spring assist.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

OP - are you trying to address ride quality or load carrying capacity? I'm confused..
Old 07-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #9

007matman,
I am actually looking for both. Meaning with the "flexibility" of an air system I would like something that can adjust for towing a load and then set for comfort in the ride when not towing. Just wondering what setups others have used that meet that criteria.
Thanks,
RMc
Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #10

Ok. I wasn't aware that an air bag setup would improve ride quality. Maybe they will.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
007matman,
I am actually looking for both. Meaning with the "flexibility" of an air system I would like something that can adjust for towing a load and then set for comfort in the ride when not towing. Just wondering what setups others have used that meet that criteria.
Thanks,
RMc
SO I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 DRW pickup.

Airbags will do NOTHING empty for ride except make it harder then what you have now. they are designed to help the spring hold the weight, and level your truck.

IF you want to soften your ride up here are a few options.

Tires Rims ... you have to get big sidewall smaller rims while running lower air pressure to help soften the ride, the tires will flex to help with the ride, look at a lifted jeep air downs to go wheeling, you can fly across a boulder field and not feel anything.... yes tread life will suffer. Newer trucks with 20+ inch rims = harder ride.

Next option is 100% full air ride front or rear or both with automatic leveling. This is a sort of best worlds application. You have just enough capacity for what your hauling at that moment in time. There are a few companies out there but from my experience and from what I have seen I like the Kelderman setup. I installed on my truck a r4Tech made by Firestone but they no longer make a kit and the things I have learned along the way point my advice towards Kelderman as a good option. Basically you remove your springs that you have now on the turck, install parts that hold the axle in the location you need it in and then there are air bags that do all of the lifting. Remove air and the truck will squat down onto the bump stops, fill it back up and you can drive. Makes hitching up the trailer really nice. Simple mechanical inflators - deflators adjust the air pressure in the air bags every few seconds, so if you were to jump up and down in the bed the pickup actually bounces vs just being a basic stiff semi movable object like you see with leaf springs, they also inflate as you put on load, so dumping in rock in the back it lifts back up, keeping you at 1 ride height empty or loaded... forklift operators and topsoil people always have a puzzled look when my truck doesn't squat.... FYI most of your over the road trucks use this same system.

The next option is basically what the truck manufacturers have already done, long long leaf springs... Take a look at a 1990 erra leaf VS the leaf spring in current gen truck... one is 4 feet the other is 8 + that additional length helps soften up the ride, Ford actually is known for soft rear springs and you see a lot of them ass end low driving with heavy loads, but they ride nicer empty.
Coils help with this as well which is why Dodge has them on the front and on the 1/2 ton pickups... helps turning too but they are on almost all cars.....
Mercedes Unimog also has 4 wheel cols so you can do weight capacity and comfort it just has to be designed into the platform.

I like the air ride I have "rear only" stock height and the DRW rides more like a 1/2 ton then 1 ton, now if I just could fix traffic I would be set.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #12

OK,
Thanks for the responses and info.
I just drove about an hour and a half one way to look, test drive and purchase the RAM. The truck does ride better than I expected (stock) and it is good advice to hitch up and tow before any modifications are needed.
The truck is the Tradesman package and is not the same truck (luxury) that I am driving now, but it is clean,low miles and set up nice with the 5th wheel tow eqip.,Aisin trans and an exhaust brake. I'm very happy and eager to put this in front of my trailer and see how she rolls. The truck does have
LT 275/70R18 125/122S tires on it. These OK for a while or should I be looking at some tougher rubber on the ground?
I have an appointment next week to remove my fifth wheel hitch from my Ford and then will drive it over and exchange for the RAM.
Also will need some side steps for DW and I am going to install a hard roll away top on the bed.
Will be nice to have a TV like you guy's.
Thanks again,
RMc
Old 07-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #13

I have Firestone airbags on my F350 and have been very happy with them. On this truck I opted to not put in the air compressor because the only time I need the bags is when I'm towing. The tongue weight on my 5w is about 3k and it squatted the 350 a little more than I liked w/o them.

On my old F250 I had the Firestone bags and the Airlift compressor with the remote that looked a little like a garage door opener. Very happy with it.

Air-lift probably has the best system right now but Firestone is fine also.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #14

Firestone airbags on my 2016 F350 dually with onboard (under the frame) air compressor. I like being able to adjust my air pressure for different conditions and to always make sure my headlights are not set up for coon hunting! (Level)

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #15

Indeed the first thing I will do is measure the truck unloaded, then hitch up and see what the "drop" is. Also I will measure the front and back of the trailer when hitched up. May need an adjustment to the hitch height to get it level.
If the ride is comfortable towing and I do not "bottom out" too bad,I may be good to go. The jury is still out,but I do appreciate the feedback.
Thanks
RMc
Old 07-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #16

Wheel Down, If your new truck has the fifth wheel prep kit you will need a new hitch or at least an adapter to make your old hitch work. I have Firestone Airbags on my 2015 RAM 3500 DRW with the Wireless One compressor the system works well for me. but adding airbags will not give you more payload capacity.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #17

It will be a few weeks before the verdict is in. I have an appointment next week to have my 5er hitch removed from my present truck and then will get that hitch installed in the new truck. A tape measure sounds like the proper tool to have. I will measure the truck before and after hookup and measure the front and rear of the trailer for hitch adjustment.

Thanks again,
RMc
Old 07-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #18

I had air lift on my 05 dodge 2500 for a while. I couldn't stand the unloaded ride. I tried 0 to 100 and everything in between. The roads around SE Va are too rough and it just wasn't worth wearing a kidney belt. With the trailer, by the time I put enough air in the bags to level out, the rebound was so bad I thought I would launch the hitch out of the bed. I sold them on craigslist and decided to just let it squat.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #19
dgibbs1955

I installed the Firestone 5000 air bag automatic system on my 2012 SRW 3500 and it made a big difference in the way the 5er rides, especially when the Harley is in the back.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, air bags