Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
MrT

Which Brake Controller & Why?

With our recent step up to a TT, we now have electric brakes for the first time. Our two fold-downs had surge brakes.

The dealer installed a Tekonsha Voyager controller, and the unit seems adequate, although a bit finicky on an incline. However, I am a gadget guy for sure--and I can't help but read the features & claims of more sophisticated models.

What do you use and why?

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Team

I use the tekonsha Prodigy.
It seems to be the most popular.
As I understand it the voyager is a "time delay" controller
and the prodigy is "proportional".
Read this thread What type of brake controller to buy? - TractorByNet.com

Also e-trailer.com (a sponsor of THIS website) has
a pretty good price on all versions .

I wonder if your dealer will let you trade up to the Prodigy??
I would if I were you.
This is JUST one man's opinion!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Like KyDan states, a proportional controlled has it all over a time delay unit. A proportional will sense how much you are braking, and apply the needed electricity to the trailer brakes. A time delay won't help much in an emergency situation.

I use the Valley Odyssey, but it seems like the Prodigy is the most popular on this site.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
With our recent step up to a TT, we now have electric brakes for the first time. Our two fold-downs had surge brakes.

The dealer installed a Tekonsha Voyager controller, and the unit seems adequate, although a bit finicky on an incline. However, I am a gadget guy for sure--and I can't help but read the features & claims of more sophisticated models.

What do you use and why?

I started out with a Voyager with my first trailer then switch to a Prodigy now I have a Prodigy P2. Quality proprotional braking which makes it smooth stopping. It has 3 boost modes that gives you more control in stopping. Nice smooth stops and is auto leveling so you can install in any position. 360 degrees.

Here is a link to the Prodigy P2. LINK

I picked my new on up on Ebay from a dealer for $119 delivered to my door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA020059.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	3153  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #5

My Prodigy is on it's second tow vehicle and it's third trailer. It works so good, I won't let it go.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Looking on the 'net & talking to my brother, I got a Tekonsha P3 for my TV. On the GMT800 truck it's an easy play & play installation. 3 boost settings are available. I've only towed the trailer 4 times, so can't really comment on how good or bad it is.

On a side note w/ the introduction of the GMT900 trucks (current trucks) there is a "blunt cut" underdash pigtail. It doesn't has a terminal connector. You have to solder the connections.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
camping

I have the P2 and really like it . I got mine at brakecontoller.com, enter the word "autoforum" in the coupon code are and get a 5% discount. mine was 119.00 with the harness and shipping.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #8

I have a Primus IQ from Tekonsha - seems to be more or less the same as the Prodigy model - but only supports up to 3 axles. Paid under $100 and it works real well.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Grape Escape

Prodigy or P2 by Tekonsa. Can't go wrong. Had Voyager as well but P series much better.
I believe my factory Ford controller was designed by Tekonsa as well.
All worked flawlessly
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
Site Team

Prodigy is by far the most loved BC made. and mine cost less than $99 from RVW.

better technology than most. time-delayed is way old technology and the proportional ones are great.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #11

I've still got my Jordon Ultima. Too bad they sold out and the new owners didn't keep up the line. Dang good controller. I really like the old school cable attached to the brake peddle. Will either be a Prodigy or a Max Brake when this one dies.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

Tekonsha P3 proportional unit. It can run electric or elictric over hyd and up to 4 axles. Probably overkill but it is rated as one of the best on the market and IMHO it lives up to it's ratings.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
bmg

Reading this thread got me concerned, since the dealer installed a Voyager when we picked up the TT. But from what I read on line the Voyager is proportional as well however, it does appear to be the poor man's choice. So far we've been pleased with it; no skids or locking wheels. We had it up in the mountains last week in a rain storm and it performed well. We're leaving tomorrow for about 3 weeks, so I'll have some time to play with it, but so far I have no complaints.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Plug It Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
I've still got my Jordon Ultima. Too bad they sold out and the new owners didn't keep up the line. Dang good controller. I really like the old school cable attached to the brake peddle. Will either be a Prodigy or a Max Brake when this one dies.
We too were extremely happy with our Jordan Ultima. He retired and Camco didn't go anywhere and we didn't want to get stuck if/when our Jordan quit so we tried a few and the Max Brake was the one. Far superior to anything we have ever tried. We have been completely satisfied with it for the 2 years we have had it. Diana
Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I use the tekonsha Prodigy.
It seems to be the most popular.
As I understand it the voyager is a "time delay" controller
and the prodigy is "proportional".
Read this thread What type of brake controller to buy? - TractorByNet.com

Also e-trailer.com (a sponsor of THIS website) has
a pretty good price on all versions .

I wonder if your dealer will let you trade up to the Prodigy??
I would if I were you.
This is JUST one man's opinion!

FYI the Voyager is proportional not time delayed. Ours came installed from the dealer. I guess I'm in the minority here but so far I've been happy with it. We pulled with it all over the mountains this summer. Here are the specs:

Tekonsha Voyager Electric Trailer Brake Controller

Inertia or pendulum style controllers are enabled by the brake pedal switch and activated by a pendulum circuit that senses the vehicle's stopping motion and applies a proportional voltage to the trailer's brakes. The brake controller must be mounted and calibrated level.
Features:
  • Designed for 2, 4, 6 and 8 brake trailers
  • Green LED monitors a secure connection with trailer and changes to red to indicate an increase of power to the trailer brakes
  • Inertia Activated (Proportional Braking Power)
  • Ergonomically designed control lever for easy, accurate gain and level settings
  • Includes mounting bracket
  • Vehicle specific wiring adapter is included to ease installation
  • 5-Year limited warranty
Specs:
  • Dimensions: 3" Wide x 5" Long x 1-1/2" High
  • Made for up to 4-axle trailer brake systems (2 to 8 Brakes)
  • Must be mounted between -20 degrees and 70 degrees vertically
Installation: The vehicle specific adapter has one end with a plug that connects to a port located under the dash. The other end of the adapter has four bare wires that attach to the four corresponding wires on the brake controller.
Note: If your vehicle has a factory installed hitch and 7-way connector, then all of the wires for the brake controller have already been run. If not, additional parts will be required to complete the installation of the brake controller.
Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller 39510 with Adapter 20272
Old 08-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #16

We started out using the $70 time delayed model on our p/u. When we upgraded to a TT it wasn't cutting the mustard. The Wife hated the pulsating motion with in-town driving. So last year prior to our 8000+ mile cross country trip and I figured it was time to upgrade not only our break switch, but the hitch as well. The extra money for safety is priceless. We wound up getting the Hensley Arrow hitch (used - Craigslist) and their TruGold break switch new. I don't know nor care how it works, but it was smooth and flawless the entire trip.
Henlsey Arrow & TruControl Gold
Longest Trip: 2009 - 4 Weeks - 8030 miles Coast to Coast.
zbittsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #17

I had a Voyager for 5 years and I was constantly fiddling with it. I upgraded to the P3 a few months ago and wouldn't go back! Set it up and forget about it. As far as I can tell the P3 is a P2 with a cool display but when I bought mine it was only $15.00 more.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Just curious if anyone who has a brake controller that ties into the brake's hydraulic system, if they did the complete installation themselves or had it installed by a RV shop or automotive dealership?

Usually brake controller discussions break down into the 2 camps, electric contollers or the hydraulic type. I think most people have no problem installing a plug & play electrical controller, but are hesitant to dive into the hydraulics.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #19
Plug It Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Just curious if anyone who has a brake controller that ties into the brake's hydraulic system, if they did the complete installation themselves or had it installed by a RV shop or automotive dealership?

Usually brake controller discussions break down into the 2 camps, electric contollers or the hydraulic type. I think most people have no problem installing a plug & play electrical controller, but are hesitant to dive into the hydraulics.
Dutch installed our Max Brake on our Dodge. He is a handy guy but doesn't feel it is a hard job. The instructions are good and easy to follow. Diana
Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
I had a Voyager for 5 years and I was constantly fiddling with it. I upgraded to the P3 a few months ago and wouldn't go back! Set it up and forget about it. As far as I can tell the P3 is a P2 with a cool display but when I bought mine it was only $15.00 more.
When you upgraded to the P3, were the plug in cables the same? Did you have to make any modifications or change the wiring?

The dealer installed and set our Voyager up. So far I've made no adjustments, it works just fine. The P3 displays are probably nice, but I hate to have one more thing to look at and take my eyes off the road.

Tags
brake control, controller, tekonsha, voyager, brakes