Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
GAGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 25
Which diesel motor is more dependable?

I'm thinking of trading my F-150 in on an F-250 diesel, and a friend who is MUCH more knowledgeable on diesel motors than I am, recommended I stay away from anything other than a Cummins. What say you guys? Note: I've been a Ford truck guy my whole life.
__________________

__________________
Randy Lyons
Retired and loving it!
Chickamauga, GA

GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGator View Post
I'm thinking of trading my F-150 in on an F-250 diesel, and a friend who is MUCH more knowledgeable on diesel motors than I am, recommended I stay away from anything other than a Cummins. What say you guys? Note: I've been a Ford truck guy my whole life.
I drive a RAM3500 6.7 cumming, I love the truck but I call bull hockey, all three are good motors when it comes to the 6.7 (ford and RAM), I think Chevy has a 6.6 duramax, all good motors, now if you are looking at used I would stay away from the 6.0 ford diesel unless the whole engine has been bullet proofed, there have been a lot of probelm's with the ford 6.0 motor. Buy what you like, they all have there pros and cons. Just an reminder, this is coming from a RAM guy. :-)
__________________

__________________
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 5,628
OH boy!...
This is a LOADED question.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec but this topic is debated daily here and quickly turns into trouble.
There are YEARS worth of reading on what is 'best' if you do a forum search.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
GAGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I drive a RAM3500 6.7 cumming, I love the truck but I call bull hockey, all three are good motors when it comes to the 6.7 (ford and RAM), I think Chevy has a 6.6 duramax, all good motors, now if you are looking at used I would stay away from the 6.0 ford diesel unless the whole engine has been bullet proofed, there have been a lot of probelm's with the ford 6.0 motor. Buy what you like, they all have there pros and cons. Just an reminder, this is coming from a RAM guy. :-)
The only thing I know about the truck I'm considering is that it is a Powerstroke Turbo V8 Diesel on an F-250. Is that a 6.0?
__________________
Randy Lyons
Retired and loving it!
Chickamauga, GA

GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
GAGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
OH boy!...
This is a LOADED question.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec but this topic is debated daily here and quickly turns into trouble.
There are YEARS worth of reading on what is 'best' if you do a forum search.
I did do a search and there are millions of gas vs diesel, ford vs chevy vs dodge, etc, etc, etc. I didn't see any discussing the merits of specific motors. Just looking for a little advice - never owned a diesel before.
__________________
Randy Lyons
Retired and loving it!
Chickamauga, GA

GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,566
I have a Silverado 3500 diesel that has 125,000 miles and have had no problems with the engine, only the def part. I had a 08 2500 Silverado and put 80,000 miles on it, no problems with the engine. Ford, GMC/Chevrolet and Ram Cummings is just a personal choice. It's what truck you like, all are good trucks.
__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 5,628
Understood... best of luck.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 427
What year is this F250 you are considering?
...and what are you planning to haul or pull?

Islander
__________________
'07 WildCat 30 RLBS ~ West Coast Edition ~
Trail Air - Tri Glide Pin Box
2000 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 7.3 Diesel 89k miles
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGator View Post
The only thing I know about the truck I'm considering is that it is a Powerstroke Turbo V8 Diesel on an F-250. Is that a 6.0?
What year? The 6.0 was from mid 2003 to 2011, here is a link to read up on the problems with the 6.0 if that is what you are looking at. A friend of mine has a 2004 F250 6.0, he just spent 2500 dollars on replacing the EGR cooler, this is one of the items that should have been bullet proofed but wasn't. Just do your research on the year that you are looking at, there is a lot of good knowledge and experience out there. I'm not saying the 6.0 is a total piece of junk, just be careful and do your research on all makes and models you are looking at.

https://www.littlepowershop.com/comm...ues-and-fixes/
__________________
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
GAGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
What year is this F250 you are considering?
...and what are you planning to haul or pull?

Islander
2005 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat with 178,000 miles and I'll be pulling my 26' Wildwood Lite with it.
__________________

__________________
Randy Lyons
Retired and loving it!
Chickamauga, GA

GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.