Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #21

[QUOTE=Briorick;1668860]Excellent review......how many miles did you have on it before upgrading to another TV?

I did not upgrade the Truck, I upgraded the Camper to a motor home. Used the truck towing that trailer for about 7,000 miles.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Kinda like a few people that might have an issue with their truck shutting down on the highway,only means its possible.
The use of 'possible', while true as you stated, applies to most anything...as anything is possible. When the occurrences are recognizable due to the number of them having been observed...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not a fan boy. I love trucks and have owned Nissan, GMC, Chevy, Ram and Ford. When truck shopping, I research and test everything made that will meet my requirements. I even tested the Fords this year and my last truck from Ford was a real pain in the rear (related to the current 1.3 plus million recalled 2015-16-17 F150's). That recall included the 17 F250...I didn't know at the time but I found reports of it having the same issue. Ruled it out.

I like the 3.5. My only complaint was how they programmed the transmission with the 6 speed. I haven't driven one with the 10 speed.

I would be in disagreement with some on here wishing this motor into the heavy duty line and I'd be willing to bet it never happens. I remember towing really heavy with a 350 (210 hp). On the floor or near to it all the time. That work truck went 175,000 miles towing and plowing snow. The poor trucks final day was due to a collision. Those older, low stressed motors (and not just the Gm one) could take a beating. I think the key is the 'low stressed' part and the 3.5 is anything but that.

Putting that 3.5 in a truck that weighs 2000+lbs more and put a 14,000lb trailer behind it for 150,000 miles is not on Ford's list. The 2000+lb increased weight and air drag from the larger frontal area of the HD would require more right foot with an empty truck and no trailer. More right foot means the little motor is in the boost more and as we all know this motor starts to drink fuel under load. Also, considering the mpg when towing would not be much of an improvement (if at all-it might be worse) over the larger naturally aspirated v8 and you would loose engine braking...I don't see the improvement. But for 1500 duties with increased capabilities and MPG for folks needing a truck to fit multiple rolls...its hard not to see the love.

However, a twin turbo setup with a larger motor might happen with lower boost pressure, especially if big brother makes manufacturers include HD's into their MPG limit/average.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post

I like the 3.5. My only complaint was how they programmed the transmission with the 6 speed. I haven't driven one with the 10 speed.

The 2013 EB I had before my Ram, shifted flawlessly.. Now I did only tow with it twice before realizing I needed a bigger truck for more cargo capacity, but it never searched or shifted early or anything. Even on tight switchbacks etc..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #24

I would love to see a 5.0 Ecoboost. Should run reasonable mileage unloaded but when you spool up the turbos pull like crazy.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
The 2013 EB I had before my Ram, shifted flawlessly.. Now I did only tow with it twice before realizing I needed a bigger truck for more cargo capacity, but it never searched or shifted early or anything. Even on tight switchbacks etc..
I agree about the shifts being flawless...I thought the 6 speed was fantastic with the 5.0. What I didn't like is the shift point strategy on full throttle with the 3.5 allowing the motor to spin up beyond 4.5k rpms. After this point the torque drops off and when it shifts at redline it puts the motor past the best part of it's most useful power. I have a feeling this program was intentional to keep the maximum torque down during shifts. Check out a stock dyno for the 3.5.

Interesting that a 3.5 is quicker in the quarter mile than the 5.0 (both with 3.73's and the 6 speed) but the 5.0 crosses the line at higher mph...

Of course none of this applies to the 10speed...
Old 11-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #26

I want to take a moment and say "Thanks" to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Really appreciated it.

You all have went above and beyond submitting and sharing great first hand information, more detailed than I could have received from the Ford Forums. And, due to the fact that I was looking for real time performance info pertaining to TT towing, and the longevity performance. I received more information than I could have ever expected. Hopefully others seeking same / similar information will have increased their knowledge as well.

Lots of great info here. As is said, "Knowledge is Power".

THANKS AGAIN! Much appreciated!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford