Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #61
Fulltime family RVer

MillerTime and OldCoot- I'm known for my stance, obviously.

I think what I read in OldCoot's response is that he's willing to overload all of the numbers as he feels the companies are publishing conservative ratings due to fear of liability. I'm not sure why it matters if I ever have or haven't overloaded anything. In this case, I'm not trying to wag my finger at anyone. I legitimately want to know why people often feel like some ratings are recommendations and others are firm ratings (not OldCoot, apparently).

MillerTime is firmly in the do not exceed ratings camp. I get that and can relate. But, my curiosity is still there- why do some ratings really matter to some folks but others are ok to be fudged. I've literally seen people say, it's ok to go over GVWR, but not RAWR. For those that feel this way, why? (For those that feel all ratings are to be respected- I dig that.)

Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #62
Fulltime family RVer

I'm obviously failing to keep my bias out of the question. It's unintentional and I genuinely want to understand.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #63
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think what I read in OldCoot's response is that he's willing to overload all of the numbers as he feels the companies are publishing conservative ratings due to fear of liability. I'm not sure why it matters if I ever have or haven't overloaded anything...
Not my intent in any way shape or form. I have been in the design field and I know what we recommended for brochures and after the corporate lawyers got finished and the brochures printed, you would not recognize the numbers as they had been altered downward by 25%-30% most times and our original numbers were from exhaustive actual tests. I'm just saying that none of the stickers are gospel, but guidelines. As for whether you have or haven't overloaded anything, my point was why are folks so adamant about a truck, but neglect their car/van when it is loaded for vacation and very possibly overloaded for the tires/suspension but they don't head to the Cat scales.

I feel I can exceed my sticker numbers by a couple hundred pounds and be just as safe (as some folks insist on calling it) as everyone else.

Not saying it was right, but people have been towing trailers for years before all the stickers were on vehicles and if it were so dangerous, it would have been all over the news about crashes/accidents and federal and state laws would have been enacted would be enforced very rigidly. JMO. I'm off my soapbox now, carry on.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #64
Fulltime family RVer

OldCoot- my first post had been gnawing at me with how I worded my interpretation of your response and you nicely restated it. I understand you mean that the numbers can be exceeded to a "reasonable degree" as the published numbers are scaled back from the actual testing data indicated.

Do I have have that right?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #65
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OldCoot- my first post had been gnawing at me with how I worded my interpretation of your response and you nicely restated it. I understand you mean that the numbers can be exceeded to a "reasonable degree" as the published numbers are scaled back from the actual testing data indicated.

That is correct. Would I exceed them by several hundred pounds NO!
I still wonder why you are so adamant about truck/trailer wts but not your car/van when loaded for trips/vacations or everyday travel. If a car is rated for 5 -150# people what do you do when you have 4-or 5 200# people plus stuff in the trunk? Get my point?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #66
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
.. plus stuff in the trunk? Get my point?
In not sure I'm comfortable about you talking about my junk in the trunk!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #67

Ependydad, I'll offer my theory on why many feel GVWR is not as critical as axle weights.

The manufacturers do not know how the vehicle owner is going to load the truck... specifcally the placement of the payload.

Isn't there a difference between placing 2000 lbs dead center in the truck verses placing 2000 lbs directly over the rear axle? Such as a 5th wheel pin wt?

Wouldn't the stresses on the frame and other components be significantly different depending on the placement of the payload? Isn't it possible the manufacturers determine the GVWR by assuming the worst placement of the payload?

In part that's why I believe there is a big difference between the sum of the axle weight ratings verses the GVWR.

Personally I would prefer to stay below all the ratings but with the number of 3/4 ton trucks I see towing 12,000 lb 5th wheels who are obviously exceeding the GVWR... I don't see how being over the GVWR by a few hundred pounds when towing a 5th wheel is big problem.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #68

So what you're really saying is you're over what the engineers deem safe for your vehicle but as long as the state says you're legal you dont' care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
I am over weight according to the weight police on here but fine by the real weight police where I travel.

Peace out, and camp safe.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #69

Say that is correct...why are the published numbers 'scaled back' and by how much?

Is it because they KNOW users will overload - so if the truck CAN handle 7500 and they tell you 7000 you'll load to 7300 and be fine - where as if they said 7500 you'd load to 7800 and be over?

Quote:

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
Old 06-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #70
Mod free 5er

prof fate, you are assuming the engineers set the limits and we are all but positive that the lawyers set them to protect the company from litigation. The stickers should be used as a guideline with a little common sense thrown in. Should you exceed them by 500#-1000# NO, but by 1-200# shouldn't make them any more likely to wear out the truck or create anymore of a hazard on the road than any other vehicle.