Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
prof fate, you are assuming the engineers set the limits and we are all but positive that the lawyers set them to protect the company from litigation. The stickers should be used as a guideline with a little common sense thrown in. Should you exceed them by 500#-1000# NO, but by 1-200# shouldn't make them any more likely to wear out the truck or create anymore of a hazard on the road than any other vehicle.
Laywers? Nope, no way. Look at gas tanks explosions and all the other issues that the lawyers chimed in on and they still made dangerous vehicles.

The SAE towing spec/test thing that is out now is to make the truck manufacturers 'hones' - because before it was teh MARKETING dept that made up the tow ratings - "hey, if we claim to tow 100lbs more than X brand we can advertise we're number one!!!"

The stickers don't say "use common sense". They list a SPECIFIC WEIGHT. YOu just don't like that number so make up your own, one that you DO like.
You are not a lawyer, acct, maketer or engineer - so what numbers do you like and don't like, and why?

If you find a number 'inconvenient' for your purposes you do as you damn well please 'because of common sense'.

Well, it's common sense to not walk out in traffic and get hit by a car, but a lot of critters do it - and people too. kids are well known for it until mom says (yells!) STOP!. So common sense is LEARNED, not an in-born skill.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
No I'm not saying that at all so don't put words in my mouth. I care that my rig is safe and if it was not safe then I would be doing something about it. I don't need a 8 year old sticker on the door or someone that knows nothing about my TV to tell me whether I'm safe or not.
Dude, the people that BUILT your truck put teh weight sticker on it. And you're ARE IGNORING THEM.

I think THEY know more about your vehicle than you do.
And I'm not putting words in your mouth - go read what you wrote.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #83
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

Dude, the people that BUILT your truck put teh weight sticker on it. And you're ARE IGNORING THEM.

And they arevthe same people who put one sticker on for North America and one for the rest of the world... Depending on who has the more lawsuit happy people.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #84
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
Alright, here goes.

I'm over on GVWR, under on RGAWR, under on GCWR, and under my tire limits. So the big question is what component of the truck is affected by violating only GVWR? Over on GCWR would affect braking and drive train. Is it the frame, then why isn't the RGAWR still within limits; somewhat contradicting.

I'm not looking for an answer here as there have been many discussions on this site on the subject and I have yet heard anyone explain the relationships of the ratings.

I will say that I don't believe that I would be comfortable grossly violating (subjective) any of the ratings or violating axle or GCWR which I feel is mechanical in nature.

I do feel that my TV is safe, drives well, brakes well, and will have a long lifespan with my setup.

Happy Discussions!
X2. over on GVWR, substantially under on everything else.. Not sure why a 3/4 ton would have a 9200 GVWR and a 10700 combined total axle capacity.

I am taking EVERY thing out of the truck, except the DW and putting in on the back cargo rack of the 5er and that should get me closer. I figure every pound I take off the truck bed and put on the back of the camper (as long as I am under the rear rack capacity) I will be reducing my payload by 1.25X.

This will certainly not make my rig safer or more stable, but may meet the GVWR.

The rig is already stable and tow and stops fine, the truck is level etc.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #85

I may be wrong but being within sticker weights makes nobody any safer than somebody over loaded. They are idiots towing over and under limits. It takes common sense to tow safely. The problem is alot of people towing lack it.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #86
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex2011 View Post
I may be wrong but being within sticker weights makes nobody any safer than somebody over loaded. They are idiots towing over and under limits. It takes common sense to tow safely. The problem is alot of people towing lack it.
I believe you could find this answer with a quick call to your ins. Agent. Different vehicles along with different weights incure inherent risks. And for anybody knowing anything about ins. The greater the risk- the greater the cost. Thats why 16 year old kids pay more for ins., commercial ins. and even farm ins., more claims (I guess idiots fall in this catagory)- greater inherent risks to yourself or others. Look and see where the $$$ are going. Ive been 16, have commercial truck ins. From time to time as well as ag, so I know these expenses first hand.
Maybe im wrong- but I sure pay or payed alot more for all that.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

Again, I have never said that I don't care if my truck is safe or not because I do. And again, YOU and the people that originally put MY truck together know nothing about my truck. I guess the only thing that I have not upgraded on my truck is the stock transmission. Will I be sitting on the side of the road some day? Probably, but I doubt that is going to cause me to kill someone.

I'm not telling anyone to go over any weights they don't feel comfortable going over. If you want to stay 50% under the sticker weights then go for it. I just get tired of people on here say that if someone drives over 65 or goes over a listed weight sticker that the world is going to end and the insurance company won't pay and they are going to kill everyone around them and be in court the rest of their life.

It's BS. If someone comes on here and ask a question like "how much can I tow" then yes they should go by every rule and probably shouldn't be towing anyway. Some of us have been doing this for a very long time and know the whats and hows of towing and don't need someone to tell us how to operate our trucks.

I give my opinion on this matter and some didn't like it, I'm sorry but it is my opinion just like your opinion that you are posting.

2006 EZ GO 6" lift
Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #88
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post

Again, I have never said that I don't care if my truck is safe or not because I do. And again, YOU and the people that originally put MY truck together know nothing about my truck. I guess the only thing that I have not upgraded on my truck is the stock transmission. Will I be sitting on the side of the road some day? Probably, but I doubt that is going to cause me to kill someone.

I'm not telling anyone to go over any weights they don't feel comfortable going over. If you want to stay 50% under the sticker weights then go for it. I just get tired of people on here say that if someone drives over 65 or goes over a listed weight sticker that the world is going to end and the insurance company won't pay and they are going to kill everyone around them and be in court the rest of their life.

It's BS. If someone comes on here and ask a question like "how much can I tow" then yes they should go by every rule and probably shouldn't be towing anyway. Some of us have been doing this for a very long time and know the whats and hows of towing and don't need someone to tell us how to operate our trucks.

I give my opinion on this matter and some didn't like it, I'm sorry but it is my opinion just like your opinion that you are posting.

Great post. You've spoken for many on here.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #89

Wow, just WOW. I find all the opinions on the subject fascinating. For me, the bottom line is this:

First of all, with all the talk about common since, remember common since is what tells us the Earth is flat.

Second, I'm going to do what ever it takes to keep my rig safe, legal, and insured. That's why I just spent $66K to get a truck that will do just that for the foreseeable future.

I'm not the weight police and I don't play one on TV. Any one can do as they please. Exceed the sticker weights if you like, but when it crashes, insurance denies your claim, and the survivors in the other cars you hit sue your pants off, don't expect sympathy from me. And I wouldn't expect the judge an/or jury to be on your side because you were only "a little" over weight. Over is over, period.

Soap box off.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #90
Engineer of Crazy Train

When people say "insuance denies your claim", where is the proof and why. Does the insurance deny your claim if you exceed the speed limit and crash? Does it deny your claim if you exceed the BAC limit of .08 and crash (this one, maybe for your vehicle but what about poles and other people's property?)?
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
When people say "insuance denies your claim", where is the proof and why. Does the insurance deny your claim if you exceed the speed limit and crash? Does it deny your claim if you exceed the BAC limit of .08 and crash (this one, maybe for your vehicle but what about poles and other people's property?)?
Your probably right. Denial is an exaggeration. But you can bet the rates will go through the roof and the policy may not be renewed. Other insurance companies may be reluctant to take on a new client under those circumstances. I have seen that happen.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #92

Quote:
Second, I'm going to do what ever it takes to keep my rig safe, legal, and insured. That's why I just spent $66K to get a truck that will do just that for the foreseeable future.
I'm happy for you and congrats on the new truck and 5er. If that is what makes you happy then that's what you need to do.

My truck is just as safe , legal , and insured as yours and I pull more of a load with less truck. I spent half that 8 years ago for my TV.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
Old 06-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

This thread has run the course, and it is time to say bye-bye.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Closed Thread