Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Which Road Side Assistance Program

Which Road Side Assistance Program is everyone using? I have decided that after our little issue that whe had over spring break in the smoke mountains that it might be worth having.

We had setup camp and was on a day outing and ended up sliding off the edge of a gravel road. Do just into a ditch I could have gotten out of that, this was straight down and about 3 feet deep. Lucky we didn't turn over. Had no cell signal and by luck a ranger came by about 15 minutes later. Another 90 minutes until a tow truck got there. 225 dollars later I was pulled out. That would have paid for 2 years worth of the Good Sam RSA program right there.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Paul & Karen and the 2 Little ones in tow.
2007 Nissan Armada LE
2012 Wildwood 26BH XLite
20 Nights campled in 2011.
25 Nights Planned for 2012!
pandkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
I have the CoachNet that Forest River provided when I bought my current 5th wheel on 2-17-2012. It goes for one year and after that I will have to renew or go with Good Sam. There are a number of posts regarding this issue on this forum and you should read then before you purchase. As you have found out, it is good to have if or when you need it. It is like insurance, it is good to have if you need it, but you hope you never need it!

whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
I use AAA Membership with RV Plus. It helps because my home and auto insurance is AAA so I needed the membership anyway.

Just another option for you.

and Good Sams Coverage Compare Roadside Assistance

Philip, DW, 3 DD, 1 DS, and Kadie our Dog
2013 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WTBS
2003 Ford Expedition 5.4 Liter with 3.73 Axle
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
48 Days of Camping Reserved for 2012
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
I've had Good Sams ERS for many years, I've used it twice and was very pleased with their service. Right now I also have Coach-Net too which came free for one year with the purchase of the Silverback and hopefully I won't have to use it.

Both Good Sams ERS and Coach-Net are designed specifically for the RV'er, so I think either choice would be a good one.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Hi Paul,

I also opted to go with AAA Plus RV

In full disclosure I have not had the misfortune to use AAA with any of our trailers. We have had great success using them with our vehicles and the description of their RV services fit my needs.

I really bought the "plus RV" for extrication and winching, the service of two trucks and two drivers if needed, and trailer towing.

One thing that is common with trailers are blowouts so this is important: AAA will only change the tire if you have a serviceable spare. They do not repair tires nor do they require their contracted drivers to carry extra tires.

I posed the question if there were two blowouts or no spare and they said that is a towing situation then, which is covered up to 100 miles ($3.75 per mile over 100 miles).
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member
Good Sam covers every vehicle titled at your home address, not sure about Coach-Net. They reimbursed us when my daughter hit a curb during a snow storm and the police called for a tow truck after she called GS. They paid the towing bill since they couldn't get a truck there as quick as the police did. We've had them for over 5 years and are very pleased with their service.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Director, FROG
We've used Coach-Net for years and have been very happy with them. They cover all of your vehicles, and any other that you might be driving. As a poster mentioned above, you get a free one-year membership with the purchase of a Forest River product.

There should have been a card in your owner's material about the free year. If you don't have it, click on "Useful Links" on the FROG website,, and you'll find the link to Coach-Net. Let them know you have a new Forest River unit, and they'll help you out.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
I currently have AAA plus RV coverage. For the most party I have been pleased with the service I have recieved.

One thing that really surprized me. Apparently AAA has a limit on yearly use. I was in my car and one day it wouldn't start. I called AAA and they said they would be happy to help me but also warned me that this was the last time I could call them. I had used up my quota of calls for this year. Good thing I had towing coverage on that car through my auto insurance (15 mile limit).

This is something I was not expecting. Yes I had used AAA for other things (mostly lock out call in my wifes car). I had no idea there was a limit in use.

I recently spoke to a Good Sam rep. He was very helpfull in bringing me up to speed on what there Roadside assistance offered. I actually think their plan offered more then what AAA plus RV did. But instead of 100 miles of towing the rep said they would tow to the nearest place that could do the repair. (Not sure if Good Sam has this 100 miles towing like AAA does)

My current AAA plus RV membership is good through August 2012. But again one more call to them and I use up my limit.

Good Sam was also cheaper in cost. They have a promotion going on right now too.
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
You might check your RV insurance policy. Mine covers towing, extraction, flat tire changing, etc. This was pointed out to me by my Nationwide agent. I think many people are paying for the same coverage twice. It doesn't cost anything to check it out.
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Ours is included with our RV insurance through Safeco.

2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is online now   Reply With Quote