Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
Oklahoma Proud
Man I sure like pulling the service records on a used vehicle i am thinking of buying and finding a bunch of of ROs ( repair orders) for regular (3-5k) service. But I live in small town USA and we keep our vehicles and equipment for a long time and I mean 60s, on up trucks and equipment still being used on original drive trains regularly.

MillerTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
I have a Chevy Avalanche (2007) with 140,000 miles. I change oil according to computer. When I was towing regularly I changed transmission fluid at 75000 instead of recommended 100000.

A word about the computer sensors. They have a formula programmed in them that considers all factors of oil life -miles driven, cold starts, length of trips, speed, etc. They translate that into what they think that means for usability of oil. They do not test or sample the actual oil. When my brother was an engineer for Ford, he invented a way to actually test effectiveness of oil. He holds several patents on it, but it was the property of Ford since he worked for them. Rather than implement it, they sold the technology to Mercedes for many millions.

Some things he learned about oil. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules than regular oil. This assures good lubrication when the oil is cold and thick. It does nothing different when the oil is warm. The amount of synthetic in a blend is sufficient to do this. Full synthetic adds nothing and costs more. Topping off oil when it is a little low can rejuvinate the protective abilities of the oil and lengthen life. Don't overfill, but if a half quart low, add a half quart instead of waiting for it to be a full quart low.

Generally the computer reading is accurate enough to use. Things like heavy dust conditions, long term storage, etc. would require changing sooner. These are usually mentioned in owner's manual. The oil change places try to get you back in 3000 miles. This is a total waste of money on a modern engine.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
I change mine when the computer tells me to I figure the engineers that designed the system are smarter than me so I listen to them.

2014 Rockwood 2604 WS
Chev 4x4 2500 HD v8
tugger is offline   Reply With Quote