Old 01-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Site Team

Which tow bar do you like and why?

I'm looking at a 2006 Jeep liberty this evening for use as a toad behind a 2018 Forester 3011. Liberty weighs in at just above 4000#.
As I'm researching tow bar and braking systems, I see there are quite a few options. One bar I saw has surge brakes built on. Not sure how that works but I like the idea of not having the big brake box inside the vehicle.
Any advice and/or insights will be appreciated. Thanks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Kenny Kustom uses the Nighthawk by Roadmaster and wrote a review on my site:
Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow Bar – illuminated is better | Learn To RV

Old 01-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Kenny Kustom uses the Nighthawk by Roadmaster and wrote a review on my site:
Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow Bar illuminated is better | Learn To RV
Thanks. I'll read it.
Update. Excellent review. Brief and to the point. Video was what I needed to see. Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #4

I have an '06 Liberty that I tow with my Sunseeker 3010. I use the Ready Brake and Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. I wish I would have done a little more research and purchased the Ready Brute, which combines surge and tow bar. Been using my setup for a couple of years now. Has served me well - plus I have a unique setup for the brake cable. Might be able to find some pictures somewhere.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #5

We use the NSA Ready Brute Elite towbar. This works using a surge brake that really does the job. We tow a 2008 Jeep JK Sahara 2 door using the ready brute and have about 10K miles using it. Simple unit, can do installation of hardware yourself, if so inclined. We also use the NSA safety breakaway that you should also consider and another easy install. You can get these off of Amazon for around $1100. Link: https://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Produc...sa+ready+brake
You will also need a baseplate, pins to connect baseplate to towbar and clevises to connect to pins and towbar. Additionally, there is the electrical 7 pin harness from the RV to the Jeep and (probably) need a wiring harness for the lights on the Jeep to work when connected to the RV.
We are very happy with our setup and highly recommend the unit. It also has a lifetime warranty.
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
We use the NSA Ready Brute Elite towbar. This works using a surge brake that really does the job. We tow a 2008 Jeep JK Sahara 2 door using the ready brute and have about 10K miles using it. Simple unit, can do installation of hardware yourself, if so inclined. We also use the NSA safety breakaway that you should also consider and another easy install. You can get these off of Amazon for around $1100. Link: https://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Produc...sa+ready+brake
You will also need a baseplate, pins to connect baseplate to towbar and clevises to connect to pins and towbar. Additionally, there is the electrical 7 pin harness from the RV to the Jeep and (probably) need a wiring harness for the lights on the Jeep to work when connected to the RV.
We are very happy with our setup and highly recommend the unit. It also has a lifetime warranty.
Yep, Baseplate and lighting is a must and should also be considered as well as the breakaway. Since I have a Blue Ox tow bar, I use the Blue Ox baseplate. Can't remember where I got my wiring for the taillights, but I only use a 4-pin setup instead of a 6 or 7. We (my son and I) did the whole install ourselves, so we had no labor costs.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 01-24-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yep, Baseplate and lighting is a must and should also be considered as well as the breakaway. Since I have a Blue Ox tow bar, I use the Blue Ox baseplate. Can't remember where I got my wiring for the taillights, but I only use a 4-pin setup instead of a 6 or 7. We (my son and I) did the whole install ourselves, so we had no labor costs.
Thanks for the report. I did get the liberty but turns out, it's a 2006, so even better. Really clean.
The search for bar and other parts needed to tow it starts tomorrow.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

Lots of choices as to equipment and of course everybody is going to tell you theirs is the best On a tow bar I suggest you get one that is all terrain so it can be disconnected quickly should the need arise. Otherwise you need to be fairly level to disconnect easily.

I have heard the SMI stay and play is very good for a braking system. You may want to look into that. It's a bit pricey to have it installed but there is nothing in the way and all you do is flip a switch.

That being said, I bought the tow bar and brake system used (read cheap). I have a 12 year old Roadmaster Falcon 2 that serves the purpose but wish it was all terrain. For braking I have an old Hopkins Brake Buddy. I bought the red case Vantage for about $300 but it had some issues. Hopkins totally rebuilt it and upgraded it to the Vantage Select, new compressor and seals, new updated remote and a new power cord. Max is $399 to rebuild and they give you a 3 year warranty. Saved about $500 by not buying a new one.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #9

I agree with GL1800Rider completely.... we're all going to say ours is best. One thing I didn't want to do is have a box to take in and out of the driver's compartment. The SMI Stay and Play was a little pricey for me. The Ready Brake seemed like a good compromise.
If I can help with routing anything on the 06 Liberty, drop me a pm.
Larry

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I agree with GL1800Rider completely.... we're all going to say ours is best. One thing I didn't want to do is have a box to take in and out of the driver's compartment. The SMI Stay and Play was a little pricey for me. The Ready Brake seemed like a good compromise.
If I can help with routing anything on the 06 Liberty, drop me a pm.
Larry
Thank you Larry. I'll be looking for for that help soon I'm sure.