Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,364
Which truck?

We are considering making a change to a fifth wheel Rockwood 8289ws, we want to tow it with a GMC half ton max towing 5.3 with 3.73 rear end, where we are stuck is which box length to get either the 6ft 6 inch or the 5ft 8 inch anyone with any experience in doing this, we'd hate to go the wrong way.
__________________

__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
I would go with the 6'6" box strictly for convenience when not towing.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
X2 what OC Says. You are still going to have to use a Reese Revolution hitch and you will definitely appreciate the extra cargo space.
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 511
Have you checked your payload sticker to see if you will have enough truck for the pin weight? Just my guess but by the time you load everything up you'll be close to 1700lbs for the pin. Factor in you and whoever else and whatever else you put in the truck and it looks like you need a payload rating around 2000-2200lbs.
Not bashing the 5.3 but trying to tow close to 9000lbs with one seems like it's going to work it pretty hard.
Also the 8289WS is really cargo load challenged. Only 1268lbs for gear is on the real low side. That's also a 'dry weight' number. It will be closer to 1000lbs after it's shipped. By the time you load your normal stuff in you'll be maxed out on the tires and suspension.
Unless those weights from the FR site are a misprint I'd look for something different.
__________________
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Have you checked your payload sticker to see if you will have enough truck for the pin weight? Just my guess but by the time you load everything up you'll be close to 1700lbs for the pin. Factor in you and whoever else and whatever else you put in the truck and it looks like you need a payload rating around 2000-2200lbs.
Not bashing the 5.3 but trying to tow close to 9000lbs with one seems like it's going to work it pretty hard.
Also the 8289WS is really cargo load challenged. Only 1268lbs for gear is on the real low side. That's also a 'dry weight' number. It will be closer to 1000lbs after it's shipped. By the time you load your normal stuff in you'll be maxed out on the tires and suspension.
Unless those weights from the FR site are a misprint I'd look for something different.
Have the Flagstaff equivalent and have pulled it over 40,000 in 3 yrs with no problems and only have a 3.23 rear end. Your pin wt estimate is not even close as even when we load ours to go to FL for 3 months, it only drops the rear 1-1-1/2" which I get back with the air bags.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have the Flagstaff equivalent and have pulled it over 40,000 in 3 yrs with no problems and only have a 3.23 rear end. Your pin wt estimate is not even close as even when we load ours to go to FL for 3 months, it only drops the rear 1-1-1/2" which I get back with the air bags.
What was your pin weight when you last weighed you 5er?
__________________
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
What was your pin weight when you last weighed you 5er?
Have never weighted it!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,364
The pay load is 2100 and since GM now applies the SAE J2807 standards this includes two 150lbs people and adds 70lbs for extras, so I see no problem with weight, I would also be running LT tires and Like OC I have no intentions to weighing it, if it gets overloaded it will show it and I don't expect to see that.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 6,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
We are considering making a change to a fifth wheel Rockwood 8289ws, we want to tow it with a GMC half ton max towing 5.3 with 3.73 rear end, where we are stuck is which box length to get either the 6ft 6 inch or the 5ft 8 inch anyone with any experience in doing this, we'd hate to go the wrong way.
See if you can find this GMC half ton with the 6.2L engine. It's a beast...
... and if your trailer pin box is built right, you won't need a Reese Revolution hitch with the 6.6' bed. Look at the AndersEn Ultimate hitch for a little help with hitch weight.
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
See if you can find this GMC half ton with the 6.2L engine. It's a beast...
... and if your trailer pin box is built right, you won't need a Reese Revolution hitch with the 6.6' bed. Look at the AndersEn Ultimate hitch for a little help with hitch weight.
The trailer comes from the factory with the Reese Revolution and doesn't need or require anything but the Reese 16K hitch.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.