Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #1

Which truck do i need to tow my rv

Hi, I was wondering what I need to tow my rv puma 26 rks 2012? I would like something fuel saving. Thanks

Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #2

The Ford F150 EcoBoost would pull that like a dream, while giving you good mileage while not towing.
As for fuel mileage while towing, it doesn't make a lot of difference what you buy. It takes fuel to make the horsepower necessary to pull.
While a diesel might be a bit better pulling, it will be worse empty. And with diesel costing more, and the truck costing more, is it really worth it?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Well it looks like you have a dry weight of about 6,000 lbs depending on accessories. You need to add approx, 1,000 lbs for gear, so you will need a vehicle with a minimum towing capacity of 7,000 lbs. iw plus say a Chevy Silverado 1500 would be a good choice, dependable and comparable fuel efficiency. Plus it has Eco fuel when not towing which improves your mileage when not camping. My FIL just purchased one and is very happy. My vehicle is a traverse with a 5k capacity and I am happy, however, my camper packed is only about 4300 lbs. good luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

To be honest towing and fuel savings do not go together. The only way to save fuel while towing is try to keep the weight down and keep your speed down. I have a 2007 F150 and a 2008 34' trailer. I average 10.5 miles per gal while towing. I keep my speed below 60 mph and I will follow transport trucks up longer hills. If they slow down to 20 to 30 mph I will do the same. Being retired and not in a hurry helps.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Tinkerer and Putterer

The unit claims 4000 lb cargo capacity. How much of that capacity you plan on using will determine what you tow with. The F150 Ecoboost has one of the highest tow ratings and will cover the trailer even fully loaded. Just make sure that pesky sudden power loss caused by water vapor in the heat exchanger recall has been dealt with. Check for a baffle in the air to air heat exchanger for the incoming air in the turbos on 2012 and earlier models. 2013 models should be good to go.
Chevy would require the 6.2 and 1500 HD to match it which would shoot that unloaded gas mileage down.
Dodge would ask you to go to a 3/4 ton chassis. Again bad gas mileage.

A chevy with a 5.3 or the Ford with a 5.0 would tow 9200 maxed out so they could do it if you're nervous about turbos and don't plan on loading down the chassis but all in all the ecoboost should meet your requirements.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #6

go buy a diesel because you are going to up grade in a few years anyway and the truck will be paid for when the time comes around.. trust me.... after starting with a 05, then 2011, then the current 2012 everytime the trailer gets larger....

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
if you're nervous about turbos and don't plan on loading down the chassis but all in all the ecoboost should meet your requirements.
Rather than be nervous about the turbos, that is the main benefit. If one has any intention to ever pull in the high country, the turbos make all the difference in the world. Naturally aspirated engines die quickly as the altitude increases.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Grandpa's big Blue truck

Our 2011 F150 screw Ecoboost max tow has 30kmi. On it over 3k towing our 310BHDS 10mpg towing 19mpg otherwise no problems from new pulls trailer very well my experience with the Ford has bin great
Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
go buy a diesel because you are going to up grade in a few years anyway and the truck will be paid for when the time comes around.. trust me.... after starting with a 05, then 2011, then the current 2012 everytime the trailer gets larger....
X2...
If you THINK your going to stay under 10K (fully loaded), forever...the max tow EcoBoost would be your choice at this time....If your going to upgrade past 10K, get the diesel and be done with it.
A lot of truck choices out there for towing, take your time & have fun shopping!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Not everyone has the money to be doing that. And I wouldn't want a diesel for an everyday driver.