Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #31

I had a 2009 6.4 which pulled my TT very well and gave me around 8mpg towing and 11mpg empty in town. I've had my 2012 6.7 for a little over a year and can attest to its abilities. The 6.4 was no slouch by any means but the 6.7 tows so much better. I've seen towing numbers of 10-11 mpg and 15 mpg empty in town. No Loud diesel rattle and zero stink makes the 6.7 hard to walk away from after you test drive it.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfar View Post
I know this questions gets beat to death - but I'm a newbie. Looking at 2006 Wildcat 29RLBS and Cougar 276. Like the Wildcat better, but the Cougar is lighter? Not even looking at 1/2 tons. Leaning toward a 2010 F-250 gasser - I've studied all the big 3 tow guides and have concluded pin weight/truck load capacity is the main issue with 3/4 tons. F-250 will easily handle the Cougar , will likely be closer to weight limits with the WC. Question I have is, irrespective of mfg ratings - how will the 250 pull if I decide to go through the mountains or the big hills on the north shore of Lake Superior. I'm not adverse to a diesel - just all the stuff I read on the ford diesel doesn't make it sound like a good engine. GMC 2500 with a duramax is an option - but truck doesn't seem to have the carrying capacity of a Ford. Dodge with a cumminngs would be great but too expensive - i know the engine will last for years, but with the salt they use on the roads in Ontario - the body will fall off, long before the engine goes (truck will be my driver, retired so just local small town miles on a daily basis),

I've got three trailers lined up - and need to make a decision - really want the WC but ................

Any advice on the the 250 or other options/

Thanks
The Ford Gassers have a 6.2L engine now. NO V10 Oakman.
Malfar if you are full timing get a diesel.
If you are like most go out a few weeks in spring and fall and maybe 3 weeks in the summer get the gasser. It will pull just as well and the $10,000 you save on the sticker price will buy lots of gas.
Here is my F-250 6.2L gasser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Truck & Trailer 003.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	42949   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck7.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	42950  
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #33
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The Ford Gassers have a 6.2L engine now. NO V10 Oakman. Malfar if you are full timing get a diesel. If you are like most go out a few weeks in spring and fall and maybe 3 weeks in the summer get the gasser. It will pull just as well and the $10,000 you save on the sticker price will buy lots of gas. Here is my F-250 6.2L gasser.
😂.....a gasser pulls just as well. Now that's funny.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
.....a gasser pulls just as well. Now that's funny.
And is less expensive and cheaper to maintain and run too.
Now that's the truth.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #35

I just replaced the EGR cooler on a Ford F550 6.0 @ 58,000 miles. I should say I am the mechanic that drives that truck and works on it when it breaks. You couldn't give me a diesel truck - maybe a Dodge Ram - but I will stick to my Ford gassers for now. Saw a real sweet low mileage F250 6.2 on the lot last week.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #36
RKR

There's no doubt that we all have our preferences gas vs diesel , which is a good thing. There are benefits of each fuel type.
I have worked in the oilfield most of my adult life and continue to do so. I have driven HD trucks of all makes and fuel types. For pulling power a diesel takes it hands down. They have much more torque than a gasser. Diesel pickups do cost more but you will get some of that back if you trade it in or sell it. The fuel cost is obviously higher, oil changes and changing the fuel filter at every other oil change ( my preference ) will cost more to maintain.
I really like the power my diesel has and I have the added bonus of an Allison transmission and engine brake. That for me justifies the higher cost. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.
Just one more note, I deal with a lot if commercial hot shots , they deliver stuff to the drilling locations. They pull pretty heavy loads and I don't ever recall seeing a gasser. Maybe they're onto something , lol.

Happy Camping
Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #37

I have no complaints with my 6.2 gasser. Pulled my 5er over 2000 miles this summer and included an 1100 mile tour along Lake Superior. Averaged 9.5-10 MPG and I was very pleased.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	42976  

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #38

My previous truck was a 2010 F250 with the 6.8 V10. Really a great truck with a great motor, but mileage was awful. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with my current truck, a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 diesel from the git go. Why, well the diesel is a beast and there is NO comparison between it and the 6.8. I really prefer low RPMs and a ton of power while on hills or passing vs. a motor that screams while climbing because of the high RPMs.

The major factor for me was the limitation to upgrade to a bigger camper (which I did after I bought the new truck).

Really, from my perspective they are both great, but don't just think about the hear and now, think about anything you may need or want later down the road.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #39
Fulltime family RVer

We had a running thread on gas vs. diesel over here:
Another Diesel vs. Gas Thread Moved From the Picture Thread
Old 11-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #40

I didn't see this mentioned yet. Don't forget to check the gearing. This is just as important as the engine. I love Ford, but I've seen some really stupid engine and gearing combos that frankly can't be explained when looking at a 3/4 pickup.

FWIW, I hope to upgrade to a F-250 in the next year. I would feel comfortable with the "stock" engine (6.2L V-8) with 3.73's but then again I don't plan on crossing any mountains. If that's you goal then diesel might be your safest option.

I've seen a lot of good comments in this thread. Weigh out you're mileage if this to be a daily driver, your needs while towing, and any future plans you have. Best advice I can give, don't get SOLD a truck by a dealer, make sure it's the best fit for your needs before you sign.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f250, truck