Old 11-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #21

I bought a 2012 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 6.6 Duramax Diesel. Love this truck !!!!! Pulls my 11,000 lb trailer like it isn't even there. Put it on Cruise Control at whatever speed I want and it just stays there. Even Hills.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #22

I bought a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 with the the 6.7l cummins last year. I chose it because it is a time tested engine that has been around for many years. Although the cummins is "only" an inline six diesel it pulls like a scalded pig. I couldn't be happier with my choice and only wish I had bought one sooner. The newer six speed transmissions along with engine braking are another great feature for trailer pulling. I will leave mine stock, plenty of power but they are relatively easy to modify and make even more power and torque. No matter your choice, don't make it until you drive a cummins. I don't think you will be disappointed...

Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
Oklahoma Proud

Most 5er toyhaulers I have seen have a pin weight that is too heavy for a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm a gm guy, but I would go with the ford. Yes the 6.0 has a lot of problems that everyone knows about- dont put a programer on and that will help on some, most are not that big a deal to fix. And fords long term fit and finish is much superior to dodges on body and interior.

Dodge has terrible transmisions and the trans are not cheap. They also seem to have problembs with chrome peeling, interiors cracking or showing premature wear on interior. And some reason some really roll the smoke( my pet peve). My insurance guy says that dodges are higher to insure- fyi.

Ps. Gm newer frame and other changes on HD trucks was for 2011 models released in 2010
Old 11-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #24

duramax diesel would be my vote eventhough it seems it is not an option for you. I have a GMC 2500HD short bed single rear tires. I tow a 35 foot fifth wheel and it handles better then I would have ever expected. It tows like I do not even have a trailer back there.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Most 5er toyhaulers I have seen have a pin weight that is too heavy for a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm a gm guy, but I would go with the ford. Yes the 6.0 has a lot of problems that everyone knows about- dont put a programer on and that will help on some, most are not that big a deal to fix. And fords long term fit and finish is much superior to dodges on body and interior.
Are you sure you’re talking about the Ford 6.0 diesel engine? Known problems include oil coolers, coolant, EGR systems, head bolts, turbo design and injectors. Most of these issues manifested themselves with less than 100,000 miles on the engines. Repairs cost big $$$. There was a class action lawsuit filed against Ford and Navistar over the 6.0 engine in 2010. Not every engine was bad but the percentage was high enough that I wouldn’t touch a truck with that engine with a ten foot pole.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Are you sure you’re talking about the Ford 6.0 diesel engine? Known problems include oil coolers, coolant, EGR systems, head bolts, turbo design and injectors. Most of these issues manifested themselves with less than 100,000 miles on the engines. Repairs cost big $$$. There was a class action lawsuit filed against Ford and Navistar over the 6.0 engine in 2010. Not every engine was bad but the percentage was high enough that I wouldn’t touch a truck with that engine with a ten foot pole.
Oakman, you know your truck engines. I do understand that the new fords with the twin turbo's have been good but maybe to early to judge. I own a 6.0 what a piece of garbage...
Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #27

The bi-turbo design lasted 3 my's. 2008-2010. Not true twins since they are sequential in design. They had their share of problems too. Early egr and regen problems, oil leaks, radiators, etc. problems improved throughout the my's. Now the current single turbo 6.7 has a ton if transmission issues. Currently I'm that guy with a ton if trans issues in the 6.7. No fixes yet so just another Ford pain in the rear. Buy what suits you but I know this is my last Ford.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #28

Chevy 3500 all the way.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman

Yes I was talking about the 6.0 ford. And I was talking between the dodge and ford. I absolutely hate
Mopars so even with fords problems I would choose them over dodge.

I recomend chevy or gmc all the way, but that was not what the op was asking about.

Quick run down of big 3 diesels in the past 12 years

GM- 6.6
Ford- 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, 6.7
Dodge- 5.9, 6.7

Seems to me gm has a really good thing going, and the allison helps too
Old 11-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
Oklahoma Proud

Isn't it a little funny that ford sues their suppliers- firestone, navistar. You don't hear of others doing it, but maybe you got to do that so you don't need bailouts??
Really I'm not trying to start any thing, just an observation.