Old 11-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #31
You can bulletproof a 6.0, but you might as well spend a little more money and get a 6.4. I would say an 09-10 as the 08's had a few issues during it's first year run. I've ridden in my buddies Dodge and it's not bad, but it doesn't have anything on my Ford in my opinion.

Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
Originally Posted by Campster
I bought a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 with the the 6.7l cummins last year. I chose it because it is a time tested engine that has been around for many years. Although the cummins is "only" an inline six diesel it pulls like a scalded pig. I couldn't be happier with my choice and only wish I had bought one sooner. The newer six speed transmissions along with engine braking are another great feature for trailer pulling. I will leave mine stock, plenty of power but they are relatively easy to modify and make even more power and torque. No matter your choice, don't make it until you drive a cummins. I don't think you will be disappointed...
Ditto Campster's quote. I got my first new/used 2011 with 12k on the odometer last March. No comparison to my 1/2 ton ram Hemi. I liked the "no urea" needed with this model. The 5.9 is supposed to have the towing power and great fuel economy from what owners of that engine have told me. I'd stay away from the ford 6.0, again from what owners with that engine have told me. Good luck

Jmjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #33
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Most 5er toyhaulers I have seen have a pin weight that is too heavy for a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm a gm guy, but I would go with the ford. Yes the 6.0 has a lot of problems that everyone knows about- dont put a programer on and that will help on some, most are not that big a deal to fix. And fords long term fit and finish is much superior to dodges on body and interior.

Dodge has terrible transmisions and the trans are not cheap. They also seem to have problembs with chrome peeling, interiors cracking or showing premature wear on interior. And some reason some really roll the smoke( my pet peve). My insurance guy says that dodges are higher to insure- fyi.

Ps. Gm newer frame and other changes on HD trucks was for 2011 models released in 2010
I know you have your opinion just like I do so here goes. I have owned 4 GM trucks and 3 Dodges. Out of the 7 trucks the GM's did not hold up to any of the Dodges. I was always a GM man until I got tired of fixing all of the little things like rattles, instrument clusters, HVAC problems, stuff that bugs the heck out of me. I usually bought new trucks every 2 years. I bought a 99 RAM Cummins and fell in love. Then I found a 2500 HD that I thought I loved more. Well 6 months later it was traded in on the '05 Ram Cummins that my wife drives now. I wouldn't take $50,000 for it still. I own two Ram Cummins right now. The one my wife drives to work is putting better than 450 hp through the stock "terrible" transmission you speak of. The interiors and exteriors are perfect but the oldest one is only 8 years old so I guess it's still young yet. I guess we will have to see in 10 or 15 years from now. My FIL has a Duramax/ Allison and right now has 2 injectors bad and the Allison won't shift sometimes. So I guess they all have their bad ones.

Oh BTW, the 6.6 is still a baby in diapers compared to how long the 5.9 has been pulling loads. As a matter of fact it's still being used in industrial equipment and trucks. How many 6.6 Duramax engines do you know of in equipment?
2005 Ram 5.9 AT SB QC (Retired)
2010 Ram 6.7 G56 QC CC Aluminum flat/Leveled (Sold)
2008 Nitro Z9 towed by a 2015 Sanibel 3601 towed by a 2013 Ram 3500 SRW CCSB Cummins
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
Originally Posted by Chewie
The bi-turbo design lasted 3 my's. 2008-2010. Not true twins since they are sequential in design. They had their share of problems too. Early egr and regen problems, oil leaks, radiators, etc. problems improved throughout the my's. Now the current single turbo 6.7 has a ton if transmission issues. Currently I'm that guy with a ton if trans issues in the 6.7. No fixes yet so just another Ford pain in the rear. Buy what suits you but I know this is my last Ford.
I wonder what it is with the new trannys that IF they have issues (and i know some have, mostly job 1 trucks) that the issues are lingering and can never be addressed?....I realize it is an issue and I'm sure an aggravating one , but it's not really that common in the perspective Of the number of units out there already....kinda like the high pressure pump failure that Is real and expensive but not a widespread quality issue...?...I'm sure if it was my truck I would think it to be a 'Known issue' as many call it, but it seems more like a glitch more than an 'ISSUE' like the THAT one had issues and enough of them percentage wise to call it that!...but the ones that ran well ran REALLY well and owners loved them....?
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #35
You got me but mine for sure isn't a job 1. But Ford has no idea what's wrong with mine. I'm a small percent of people with issues like mine but none the less Ford has been pathetic with standing behind their product. Hopefully in a month it's gone, it's in court now. I've always been a Ford guy with a 7.3, a 6.0, and 2 6.4's before this '12 now, but they have really left a sour taste in my mouth. So like I said before to OP, buy what suits them whatever brand. This is another brand war thread now. I should really derail this thread and say I dumped my grey water on the ground. Lol.
2016 Forester 3171DS Class C Motorhome
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport - Toad
1993 Mustang 5.0 Notch 5-speed
Chewie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #36
john I
Originally Posted by dfd630 View Post
I'm currently looking for a new to me truck to pull my new to me 36' All American fifth wheel toy hauler. Kind of torn between th '05 & '06 Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins or a F-250 with a powerstroke in it. Which ever I get will be a 4x4 with a standard size bed on it.
There is a lot of knowledge and experience with pulling all over the country and in many different terrains on here so I thought I'd tap into that knowledge. I know everyone loves there trucks so I should get a variety of pros & cons. Thanks in advance & any help will be greatly appreciated.
cummins all the way
John I
2012 Columbus 365RL
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 cummins
1963 5'2" wife Sheri
johnemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #37
phat phrog stunt crew
cummins power backed by an allison in a ford body would be the truck to get.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #38
Oklahoma Proud
Ok if I had to build my perfect truck.

N-14 cummins
Class 5 frame(5500) and 4x4 axles
2003-2007 chevy body
Ford- King ranch interior
Allison auto trans.- But I would want it to have about 10 gears

Chasing rabits now- sorry!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #39
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
I should really derail this thread and say I dumped my grey water on the ground. Lol.
I still laugh when I think about that thread.

I figured this thread would turn into a brand war
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #40
I hope it doesn't turn into a bashing thread. I personally don't care what brand you like, I just want people to be honest about the problems they have had. I'm a Chevy guy but I'm not going to sit here and tell you all my Chevys were the greatest things on earth and I never had any problems with them. My 05 3500 Express van for work is turning into the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I can't go a week without a random miss popping up some where on the 6.0 liter.

MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote