Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #41

Are we there yet?

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #42

lol, right. I guess the only way to sum this up, is for the OP to buy what is needed for his towing needs. Dont buy a 1/2 ton if you need a 1 ton. Do the math and see what you need for towing, payload and have some left for a good safety margain. It seems no matter what, Ford, Dodge and Chevy all suck, who is left in the HD category?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Are you sure you’re talking about the Ford 6.0 diesel engine? Known problems include oil coolers, coolant, EGR systems, head bolts, turbo design and injectors. Most of these issues manifested themselves with less than 100,000 miles on the engines. Repairs cost big $$$. There was a class action lawsuit filed against Ford and Navistar over the 6.0 engine in 2010. Not every engine was bad but the percentage was high enough that I wouldn’t touch a truck with that engine with a ten foot pole.
I was told,and I don't know if it is true,that the 07 6.0 liters were a safe truck to buy.The guy told me that by then Ford had all the problems fixed but went with the new 6.4 for 08 because it had been developed prior to solving the 6.0 liter problems.It was also a clean slate for Ford to try and get it's reputation back that it had with the 7.3.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
I was told,and I don't know if it is true,that the 07 6.0 liters were a safe truck to buy.The guy told me that by then Ford had all the problems fixed but went with the new 6.4 for 08 because it had been developed prior to solving the 6.0 liter problems.It was also a clean slate for Ford to try and get it's reputation back that it had with the 7.3.

2006-07 were the best years for the 6.0. There were many small changes from 03.5-05 and then on til the end of that model run. But even with the improvements, there were still a high rate of failure with not many miles on the trucks.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie
lol, right. I guess the only way to sum this up, is for the OP to buy what is needed for his towing needs. Dont buy a 1/2 ton if you need a 1 ton. Do the math and see what you need for towing, payload and have some left for a good safety margain. It seems no matter what, Ford, Dodge and Chevy all suck, who is left in the HD category?
Well nobody had discussed freightliner, Mack, Peterbuilt, international, or kenworth yet! (sarcasim)

No matter what brand you go with I think a thread like this could at least be helpful when it comes to asking questions when buying. If people would just be honest about their problems. At least then it may give you an idea of things to pay attention to when buying used. On the fords you may want service records, on dodge you may want to slide underneath and look for rust starting, Chevy..make sure the dash isn't going to fall off in your lap. One brand doesn't have to be better then the other if you go into it knowing what some of the common problems are.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
Well nobody had discussed freightliner, Mack, Peterbuilt, international, or kenworth yet! (sarcasim)

No matter what brand you go with I think a thread like this could at least be helpful when it comes to asking questions when buying. If people would just be honest about their problems. At least then it may give you an idea of things to pay attention to when buying used. On the fords you may want service records, on dodge you may want to slide underneath and look for rust starting, Chevy..make sure the dash isn't going to fall off in your lap. One brand doesn't have to be better then the other if you go into it knowing what some of the common problems are.

That pretty much sums it up. Keep up the maintenance and you should be just fine.

One note buying used can always be a crap-shoot just for the plain fact you do not know how they were maintained or treated during their years with the previous owner. So be careful and do your homework, have a reputable dealer/mechanic check it out before you buy it.

If the seller won't let that happen, just walk, dont look back as there is most likely a problem with it.

Good luck hunting!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #47
phat phrog stunt crew

dump yer grey water wherever, we are building trucks
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #48

Just talked with a guy at a local campground yesterday and he was going on about the problems he'd had with his 6.0 Ford and wished he could have his 7.3 back. He was quite impressed with how clean my 97 was. The tally continues to rise.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

zero at delivery. I watched it come off the truck carrier.

OK, maybe 3 or 4.

It was a special order because I insisted on a 2WD bench seat diesel with posi rear and the Allison transmission. I also ordered it with the 5th wheel wiring harness and roof light wiring factory installed.
Lol no I mean now silly .
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #50

Yuuuup, I'm with Herk, get at least a 1 ton dually when pulling a toyhauller, and even tho I own one, stay away from the Ford 6.0.

2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote