Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #1

Which truck would you buy

I'm currently looking for a new to me truck to pull my new to me 36' All American fifth wheel toy hauler. Kind of torn between th '05 & '06 Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins or a F-250 with a powerstroke in it. Which ever I get will be a 4x4 with a standard size bed on it.
There is a lot of knowledge and experience with pulling all over the country and in many different terrains on here so I thought I'd tap into that knowledge. I know everyone loves there trucks so I should get a variety of pros & cons. Thanks in advance & any help will be greatly appreciated.
2004 36CKSS All American Sport Toyhauler
dfd630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #2

My choice would be the cummins. But that's just just me. Time and tested proven engine. The powerstroke I know has had it's problems and I'm not a ford fan. But someone probably hasn't had any problems. So let the battle begin.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd630
I'm currently looking for a new to me truck to pull my new to me 36' All American fifth wheel toy hauler. Kind of torn between th '05 & '06 Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins or a F-250 with a powerstroke in it. Which ever I get will be a 4x4 with a standard size bed on it.
There is a lot of knowledge and experience with pulling all over the country and in many different terrains on here so I thought I'd tap into that knowledge. I know everyone loves there trucks so I should get a variety of pros & cons. Thanks in advance & any help will be greatly appreciated.
No duramax option? Bummer!

Good luck as I am well are in the hunt for a new tv .
Fingers crossed I'm making the deal on one today! Albeit a duramax to each his own right!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #4

I'm interested in this thread because we are considering making the switch to a 5th wheel toy hauler. We are looking at 1 ton dually, make doesn't matter.

Could people also add their input on how old of a truck you would buy, would you go 05 or 06? And how many miles on a used diesel would scare you away? Would you buy a diesel with 170,000 miles on it?
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I was able to find a Yellow Sticker weight for a similar camper to yours at 10,700 pounds. I am still looking for its maximum gross weight (with your toys and gear aboard).

With a 5th wheel, 15 -25% of the actual weight of the trailer should rest on the pin for safe handling.

I am guessing your GVWR (yellow sticker plus maximum payload to include water weight and toys) is around 15,000 pounds.

At 15,000 pounds, you would need a truck capable of carrying "optimum 20%" of pin (3000 pounds) without exceeding its own GVWR when loaded with hitch, family, and truck carried gear.

I believe (and you will find others quite willing to tell you this is 1/2 ton towable) that you are solidly in the F-350/3500 series range due to payload requirements. You most likely should also consider a dually if you have a large family or carry your generator or other heavy gear in the truck.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
I was able to find a Yellow Sticker weight for a similar camper to yours at 10,700 pounds. I am still looking for its maximum gross weight (with your toys and gear aboard).

With a 5th wheel, 15 -25% of the actual weight of the trailer should rest on the pin for safe handling.

I am guessing your GVWR (yellow sticker plus maximum payload to include water weight and toys) is around 15,000 pounds.

At 15,000 pounds, you would need a truck capable of carrying "optimum 20%" of pin (3000 pounds) without exceeding its own GVWR when loaded with hitch, family, and truck carried gear.

I believe (and you will find others quite willing to tell you this is 1/2 ton towable) that you are solidly in the F-350/3500 series range due to payload requirements. You most likely should also consider a dually if you have a large family or carry your generator or other heavy gear in the truck.
He speaks the truth.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
I'm interested in this thread because we are considering making the switch to a 5th wheel toy hauler. We are looking at 1 ton dually, make doesn't matter.

Could people also add their input on how old of a truck you would buy, would you go 05 or 06? And how many miles on a used diesel would scare you away? Would you buy a diesel with 170,000 miles on it?
I think you are solid looking at a 1 ton. As to mileage on a diesel, I can only tell you what I have been told about all cars/trucks.

Hard miles are to be avoided (taxicabs, police cars, work trucks, heavy tow vehicles) regardless of number. ASK what was towed. Low miles on a routinely overloaded truck is a nightmare about to happen.

"Easy Miles" are not to be feared (highway miles, plenty of truck for the camper, higher miles on a late model truck).

While not hard and fast, it is a pretty good "rule of thumb" in my opinion.

Diesel engines regardless of make will outlast (normally) the truck they are installed in. Look for signs of abuse and overloading (axles snubbers worn flat, frame showing worn spots at the rear snubbers, or straight/bent rear springs, brake pedal covering worn from heavy braking, front tires worn far more than rear tires). Brand new tires may be a selling point but they CAN be an attempt to hide: a bent frame, overloading, bent rear axle, damaged front end.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd630 View Post
If you're looking at a F-250/350/450 with the 6.0 powerstroke diesel, stay away from it. There have been waaaaay too many MAJOR issues with that engine. I know nothing of the 5.9 Cummins in the Dodge so I can't help with that.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

I had a 06 350 dually with the 6.0. It was a great truck when it ran, meaning not broken down. It seemed every 5-6 months something big went and its usually at least a $1000.00 to fix. I went through injectors, egr, head gasket, cooler. All the normal 6.0 failures. But when it worked it was great. I'd chose the cummins over it. Although those earlier years were prone to rust through on the body. The cummins is a solid engine.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
Site Team

I'm just posting to reinforce the fact that you should not consider anything less than a 1-ton and it should be a dually.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
I'm just posting to reinforce the fact that you should not consider anything less than a 1-ton and it should be a dually.
We have looked at a couple that made me think I would be more comfortable with a small Peterbuilt!
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Camper Less Camping

I've seen a few F550/650 trucks that are sweet looking pulling a large 5'ver...maybe one day if we don't go the motorhome route when retirement years come (that's a loooong ways)

Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #13

None of the trucks mentioned here are without problems.

I have an 06 F-350 that has been a good truck and the only problem I have had was the injector pump. It was under warranty at the time and I have not had any problems with it since. I also have an 05 F-550 with the same motor and it has injector problems (stiction) but not that bad to fix either.

A few company's I work for have bought Dodges and have had problems ranging from poor quality body panels and interior parts coming loose/off.

Both companies have had to replace the engines from blown head gaskets. These are year models 02-09.

All of the Dodge trucks (3/4 ton and above) gas or diesel have IMO, worthless transmissions and have been replaced at least 3 times per truck (5 trucks in total).

GM is not without it's problems either, but I have not owned one so I can not comment on that. We do have a few of their gassers and they are for the most part problem free as well as the Ford gassers.

Most of the newer trucks have better components now then before and all have their belivers and ney sayers so you will need to do your homework and research.

Trucks here in Colorado do get driven harder just because of the mountains and I find alot of failures happen because people try to do to much aftermarket upgrades and just plain take their trucks beyond what they are capable of.

I am not slaming these makers for anything other than what I see on a daily basis and no one is without blame.

I do however belive Dodge should have given it's owners a better tranny!!
It really is a pile of junk. JMO

Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I bought a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax diesel with the Allison Transmission and primarily use it to tow my 9200 pound 5th wheel. We have been VERY happy with it so far. No maintenance except oil and fuel filter changes when the on board computer says so (25% remaining is my change point).

On the one hand I wish I had waited till the 2010 model with its box frame and 900 pounds of more payload (2008 has a "C" frame); but then I would have missed out on 2 1/2 years of GREAT camping.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
I bought a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax diesel with the Allison Transmission and primarily use it to tow my 9200 pound 5th wheel. We have been VERY happy with it so far. No maintenance except oil and fuel filter changes when the on board computer says so (25% remaining is my change point).

On the one hand I wish I had waited till the 2010 model with its box frame and 900 pounds of more payload (2008 has a "C" frame); but then I would have missed out on 2 1/2 years of GREAT camping.
How many miles on it?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How many miles on it?
zero at delivery. I watched it come off the truck carrier.

OK, maybe 3 or 4.

It was a special order because I insisted on a 2WD bench seat diesel with posi rear and the Allison transmission. I also ordered it with the 5th wheel wiring harness and roof light wiring factory installed.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #17

Don't remember what the web site was, but when I was looking to buy my first trailer back in 2000, it said there is no such thing as too big a truck.
First truck was a 2500 with a 454, 295 hp I think. No problems what so ever pulling a 4100 dry weight 5th wheel. Second truck 6 liter, 300 hp, no problems. Bought a new 5th wheel with 6400 dry weight. No problems on the flat lands, but wouldn't mind a little more snoose in the mountains. At my age tho and only 52,000 on the truck it will have to last me the rest of my camping days.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #18

I would definitely take the Dodge given those options- and I tend to be a Ford guy. I know first hand that you are playing with fire getting any Ford diesel with a 6.0. You might get lucky and get a good one, but the odds are not in your favor. I have experienced tranny failures with the Dodge 1/2 tons using the 46re, but to my knowledge the diesels have always used a stronger tranny; the 47re in the years you mentioned, I think. Most of the Dodge diesels I am familiar with are stock and have had no tranny problems. If I was in the market for a used diesel(and planning to spend less than, say $20K), I'd be looking at Fords with the 7.3, Dodges with the 5.9, and GMs. JMHO
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #19

I have an older Ford, but would rather have the Dodge.
Mileage isn't as much of a concern as the condition of the body. Make sure it didn't come from a place that uses a lot of salt on the winter roads.
And if you don't mind shifting, a standard tranny will give you even better fuel mileage!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
I had a 06 350 dually with the 6.0. It was a great truck when it ran, meaning not broken down. It seemed every 5-6 months something big went and its usually at least a $1000.00 to fix. I went through injectors, egr, head gasket, cooler. All the normal 6.0 failures. But when it worked it was great. I'd chose the cummins over it. Although those earlier years were prone to rust through on the body. The cummins is a solid engine.
I have a 6.0 f250 today it is sitting at Ford for them to install a Engine Injector control Module, and a Fan Clutch. Cost is 1750.00 dollars, I have 116,000 miles on it. When it runs it will tow a house when it's not it drains my bank account. STAY AWAY FROM THE 6.0L TRUST ME.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote