Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Had 2010 Sierra 1/2 ton, but could not handle the load and engine screamed at 3000 rpm most of the time. Upgraded to Silverado 2500 with LML Duramax....what a difference.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34 TBOK
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD SRW CrewCab SB
B&W Companion
demoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
Looking at a 2010 F250 tomorrow. I'm just scared that if I get it that I will lead to me wanting a bigger RV because I have the capabilty to tow more

Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri
Looking at a 2010 F250 tomorrow. I'm just scared that if I get it that I will lead to me wanting a bigger RV because I have the capabilty to tow more

Sounds like you have a plan lol
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi but we keep them 50-55 psi
Superglide 2700
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Sorry, I'll have to blame my grammar goofs on my Iphone.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
We have a 26 ft V-Lite that I originally pulled with a Jeep Commander that had a 5.7. We used the Jeep for 2 years. The Jeep could tow on flat terrain with out too much problem. The Rockies were a different story. I spent on whole day in Wyoming with the Jeep in 2nd and 3rd gear due to head winds and grades. Seemed like I spent more time in gas stations than driving. I was also a nervous wreck when I pulled in for the night. The Jeep's problem was lack of power and too short of wheelbase.

I now have a 2500 HD Silverado with a Duramax. The main reason for the Duramax is a future purchase of a 5th wheel. The difference is unbelievable. It is a crewcab so the wheelbase is much longer, and it makes a huge difference in the handling. I hardly know the trailer is back there. Wind is not much of a problem and semis do not cause me any problems.

With the diesel I get at least 30% better fuel mileage. When I get pull in for the night I feel nice and relaxed and can get a good nights sleep. That alone is worth the move up to me.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
We went from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton 7 years ago. We use let our son race gokarts on a national level and only had a 12 foot enclosed race trailer and our 16 foot shasta TT that we only used a couple times of year (because we raced practically every weekend from end of April to 1st of November then again at the Tulsa Shootout in Dec/Jan).

After realizing that we were often in a different city/state every weekend and sometimes more, we wanted the security of new truck with warrenty. Hubby at that time said no to 1/2 ton and insisted on 3/4 simply because he wanted to be able to haul bigger trailers without straining the truck. 6 years later we no longer race gokarts but was able to enjoy going to a much bigger fifth wheel. And still have the same truck. Getting ready to pick up our new fifth wheel next week so during the 7 years that we have owned our truck it will now have pulled 6 different trailers.
2005 Chevy 2500HD
2013 Flagstaff 8528BHWS
4bnabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
Our TT is a 2012 23LBH. When we bought the TT, we thought and were told the 2003 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4.3 L would pull it ok. We now tow with a 2006 F259 Powerstroke. MPG while towing went from 8 to 12. It is hard to tell the TT is back there!
flaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #28
Resumed the RV life after a few years without on April 06, 2007 purchased a Starcraft Homestead Lite 292 RKS TT and towed with a 2006 Dodge Durango with Hemi, the Durango pulled it but was giving all it had especially in hilly country and was in fact slightly over the rated towing limit. In August 2010 we got chance to trade the Durango in for a 2010 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500 HD with the Diesel choice we ever made, it hardly knew the TT was behind it. As the Starcraft was somewhat uncomfortable especially when some of the kids & grand-kids wanted to go we started looking into a camper upgrade, especially now that we had a very good tow vehicle....on April 10th we ordered & on July 3 this year we picked up our new FW "Salem Hemisphere Lite 346 QBUD" and started the life as a Forest River Owner. The 3/4 ton Dodge Ram HD handles the trailer quite well, much better than the Durango did the earlier TT. We will be towing to Branson later this month so will see how it handles in some hills, but at this point foresee no problems. This is also our first FW & looks to be a good experience, looking forward to many trips, especially in 6 years + when I retire.
McCune, KS

2010 Dodge Ram QC 2500 HD w/Cummins Diesel
2013 Salem Hemisphere Lite 346 QBUD
papamcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
We went from a 07 Escalade 6.2 403HP... the truck had no problems pulling the trailer and was a great ride... MPG was around 10 but I didn't like the unstable ride in the wind even with the reese duo cam. The new DenaliHD LML we have is simply amazing and more than enough truck for our current trailer so lots of room to grow. One thing I real love is how the Allison transmission, break controller and the exhaust break work when descending down step grades... The feeling of total control is very reassuring.
26WRB - V-Lite
Denali HD LML
Coops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
Sounds like no one regrets changing up to heavier truck. I have a 09' Rockwood 8306 SS that I towed with an 09' F150 with MTP (says it can tow 11,300). Had plenty of motor but ride was a white knuckle experience, you know, feels like you were steering a boat most of the time. Had Firestone air bags, equalizer hitch and made sure everything was loaded even. What cinched it for me was when we headed for Lake Erie to do some scuba diving in the local quarries. Had 4 tanks and all the gear, 5 people and loaded trailer. I have to keep it around 50 mph cause I didn't feel safe with it. I also have plans to go west with trailer. I bit the bullet and bought a 2012 F350 with the new 6.7 diesel. What a difference, the ride, handling, no "porpoising" or "chucking" at all. I forgot the trailer was even back there sometimes. No more the tail wagging the dog. I was leary on the diesel cause TV is mostly a daily truck and tow occassionaly but I was glad I did. 12-13 MPG going 65 on flat ground and trailer felt secure and tight. Upgrade to the super duty truck was a good choice.
It was nice to see no one bashing Ford, Chevy or Dodge on thread. It is hard to believe that even tho the F150 was rated to pull TT I have, the peace of mind you have with bigger TV.

pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote