Old 02-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #71

I use it as much as possible. Once the truck is in 6th gear, it almost never downshifts for any hill so no worries.

My buddy in his gasser can't because even at the slightest sight of a hill it downshifts and brings the revs to almost redline and the truck sounds like it's going to explode.... Therefor, he has to modulate the throttle all the time and that is extremely tiring...

TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
I use it as much as possible. Once the truck is in 6th gear, it almost never downshifts for any hill so no worries.

My buddy in his gasser can't because even at the slightest sight of a hill it downshifts and brings the revs to almost redline and the truck sounds like it's going to explode.... Therefor, he has to modulate the throttle all the time and that is extremely tiring...
Does your buddy have a 4-speed or 6-speed in his gasser? Our '08 Sierra had a 4-speed and it was a terrible experience driving because it had the tendency to over-rev even after cresting a hill. The 6-speed in the '13 Silverado is more well mannered.

We have a neighbor that pulls a 12' cargo trailer long distance with a '05 Silverado 4WD and 4-speed auto. He has replaced the trans twice, once while travelling. He is considering trading to get away from the 4-speed.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #73
Who Dares, Wins

My 6 speed would rev on the hills.. I can only imagine a 4 speed!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I use only on flat ground when ther is no wind. If you use it on uphill with a diesel there is a chance the engine computer will shut the engine down.

I have never ever heard that. I use it all the time in my diesel 3500 ram with our trailer behind. Worked perfect last year as we went through the Rockies. With the jake brake kept speeds down hills from Denver to the Grand Canyon no problem.... Only time we backed off the cruise was through the dessert at 116 degrees on the last climbs into Phoenix as the motor temps were climbing a bit too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Does your buddy have a 4-speed or 6-speed in his gasser? Our '08 Sierra had a 4-speed and it was a terrible experience driving because it had the tendency to over-rev even after cresting a hill. The 6-speed in the '13 Silverado is more well mannered.

We have a neighbor that pulls a 12' cargo trailer long distance with a '05 Silverado 4WD and 4-speed auto. He has replaced the trans twice, once while travelling. He is considering trading to get away from the 4-speed.
He has the 4 speed 4L80 trans.

6 speed would be better. The new 6.2 vortech has that new 8 speed tranny. I bet that really helps the gassers.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
My 1500 locked out the 6th gear I believe. I wonder if my 2015 D-max does as well? Never looked and it never seemed to care...
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I use only on flat ground when ther is no wind. If you use it on uphill with a diesel there is a chance the engine computer will shut the engine down.
Say what???

I've had 7 diesel trucks over the years and none of them did that.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #77

Usually does not work well for me. If it's flat and calm, I leave OD on. In that condition, I need a steady foot to keep it from unlocking the converter.

But if it's windy or hilly enough for me to lock out OD, my particular vehicle locks out both 6th and 5th gears, forcing me to run in 4th. In that condition, as long as it's not to hilly, rpm is high enough to have adequate torque to keep the convertor locked, even with cruise in operation.

Either way, if I see or feel the trans hunting (or see the convertor slip gage jumping on the Scangage), I shut of cruise control.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #78

Tow / haul needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
I use it a lot while towing. I read the manuals and was not able to find anything that said I shouldn't, unless I missed it...

I keep it in tow/haul and let the truck decide what it wants to do and intervene when necessary. Just what I do, I am not saying it is right or wrong...

I use cruise on the interstate as much as traffic etc. will allow. Never had any issues with it. Drops back about 4mph off of target speed on hills and downshifts until it gets it back. Used to use tow / haul all the time, now only when needed on hilly, secondary type roads or I just shift it myself with the button. Is it hurting the tranny to not use it all the time? Never see the trans temp go out of bounds and others who tow heavier trailers than mine with the same engine / tranny setup have said it's not needed and only hinders MPG. But I've also been told that it's too hard on the tranny when it goes into overdrive even if the temp stays in bounds, and will potentially burn it up when I"m well past my 100k warranty. Thoughts?
Nights camped so far 2017 - 16
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #79
Engineer of Crazy Train

Use it on both the Jeep and the Ram.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #80

I use cruise control on my last trip from Huntsville to San Jose ca. The only time I did not was when it was not safe or in town. I have a new 2015 ram 1500 with the Hemi. My old 1500 Chevy did not do so hot on cruise.

Tags
towing