Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 04:02 AM   #81
GLCM Warrior

We use cruise control whenever we can while towing unless going up fairly steep hills or on downhills - regardless of the grade. Typically I like to let the truck 'roll' or coast down the smaller hills and cruise will often downshift to slow things down unnecessarily IMO most times...especially when the downhill is short and leads right back to an uphill stretch.

On the steeper/longer downgrades, I like to control the descent using the tow/haul mode (always active when we're towing) and the engine brake feature.

We averaged close to 12 mpg towing on our trip to Canada last summer and the majority of the trip was with the cruise control engaged.

Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemax542 View Post
I use cruise control on my last trip from Huntsville to San Jose ca. The only time I did not was when it was not safe or in town. I have a new 2015 ram 1500 with the Hemi. My old 1500 Chevy did not do so hot on cruise.
I have to agree, GM needs to improve their cruise control. We had an '08 Sierra with 4-speed auto and HD tow package. It was miserable trying to use cruise when towing even on mild inclines. The tendency was to over-rev even after cresting. It was like anticipating a thousand piece puzzle yearning to come apart under the hood. The 6-speed in the '13 Silverado has made a vast improvement-still not what one should expect from one of the largest car companies. Information is that they are coming out with an 8-speed that may help the cruise when pulling a load. See what happens.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #83
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I use only on flat ground when ther is no wind. If you use it on uphill with a diesel there is a chance the engine computer will shut the engine down.
On my 4th diesel, although the 2nd computerized, and never had an issue. Never heard of this issue.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #84

I use CC when ever possible the only exception is for weather and traffic. Will use tow mode when towing slightly less MPH but a lot less stress on the truck. And going down hill let the transmission and engine save the brakes. Cooking the trailer brakes on a down hill is not good for the bearings let the truck do the braking in TM.
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #85

Wish i had cruise control😎

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing