Old 06-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #11
My current TT is 9' longer and about 1000lbs heavier than my previous one, but it's easier to tow and I get slightly better gas mileage. The front is shaped differently, so wind drag might make more of a difference than one would think.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
KDHfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #12

Could your trailer brakes be dragging? This is the first time I've ever had trailer brakes, so I'm just guessing.

2009 Roo 21ss + 2007 Superduty 6.0
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #13
The larger wheels do help some, and the tires can make a difference. I used to have Goodyear Marathons until all 4 developed tread separation. I replaced them with Maxxis M8008s. They cost more but I now enjoy less sway and better gas mileage.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #14
Originally Posted by ilovecamping View Post
I am just guessing that yours may weigh more loaded since you own it and probably like most of us have lots in it, where his was rented and probably had very little but personal items and clothes.
X2. Just realizing how much crap we carry this morning while loading the stuff from the old TH in to the new. Must be carrying a ton of stuff. Laterally .
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
Shape does matter, tire size and spacing also

[QUOTE=KDHfan;1240169]My current TT is 9' longer and about 1000lbs heavier than my previous one, but it's easier to tow and I get slightly better gas mileage. The front is shaped differently, so wind drag might make more of a difference than one would think.

Here are pics of both units. I agree that the shape matters a lot once you are up to speed.

They had moved all their gear, clothing, food etc. (which was considerable) to the trailer prior to his failed truck being towed. Plus the dry weight is 1000lbs different regardless of personal contents so if I loaded mine to death it would still probably weigh less or equal to the Jayco dry weight.

Based on discussion with other folks and some of the other responses to my post I think other contributing factors are not just wheel size but the fact that a bigger wheel would hold a bigger tire and therefore a larger volume of air to support the weight with less friction. The Jayco has 15s while mine are 14s. This combined with the larger space between the Jayco axles which distributes the weight differently per tire / axle vs. mine which are very close together. So my next one will definitely have a different axle / wheel / tire setup regardless of layout and size etc. and either a V front or a better slope on the nose. Thanks to everybody for feedback!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	112498   Click image for larger version

Name:	roo_nose_shape.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	112499  
2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.7L
2014 Rockwood Roo 25RS
Nights camped 2014 - 27, 2015 - 28
Nights camped so far 2016 - 26
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #16
Aerodynamics are the biggest factor on the highway. Not just the shape but the size combine to figure overall drag. The rolling resistance is tiny in comparison at 65 mph, and once up to speed it could weigh double and it doesn't effect mpg. The front of the camper is less then 1/2 the battle, technically the tow vehicle shields a bunch of the front anyway. I don't understand why trailer makers pay zero attention to the back where 1/2 the drag is coming from. A simple foldable trailer tail like you see now on semis would go a long way. The A/C units should be shorter and have a hollowed tapered fairing behind them that would also protect the cooling fins when backing up from tree branches. little things like the bubble above the shower on my new Palamino is actually designed well but installed backward. It should begin steep and taper slowly to the rear. Instead it starts slow and then rounds off steep, same as the vent covers on top, they are backwards aerodynamically wise. Also my new Palamino is built floor over tire with no relief for the wheel wells. Nice for the inside space but makes the whole camper sit up 8-10" higher in the wind then it needs to be. The air could go under I suppose if I were to also jack up my tow vehicle the same, but as it is a normal height truck is already cutting the wind in front at a lower level then the camper is.
The best info I have seen on this is over at What works on a Prius also works on a semi. Here is an online tool where you can see the difference between rolling resistance and drag at different speeds. Aerodynamic & rolling resistance, power & MPG calculator -
It shows where your horsepower is going and what effect reduced frontal aera or better aerodynamics would have and how much is going to rolling resistance.

Oh and longer is better for aerodynamics as well, the air has a better chance to reattach after being disturbed by the poor front cap design.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:52 AM   #17
Hitch weight have anything to do with it? Was the TV carrying a lot more weight with one than the other?

Lefty665 is offline   Reply With Quote