Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Every stop, gas, rest bathroom; walk around trailer and feel wheels and tires. You should be able to touch trhem. If too hot, have it checked out.
Check Amazon or Harbor Freight and get an infrared thermometer. Quick easy to use and accurate enough for what you are doing. You are primarily looking for hubs that are much different than the others. Also works great on tires.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #22

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlennick View Post
Hi, we are newbies and thought we had done our towing research, but notice when we are towing up or down hill, there is a very strong burning break odor. We have a 2015 Sierra Max 1500, towing a 2013 Wildwood 27RLSS. Do we have our trailer break system too high? Also since we do not have a weigh station anywhere close, how do we know we are within weight limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Might the odor be actually coming from other braking vehicles heading down hill?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #23

If it were Me I would take the Truck and have the Trans/Brakes/Belts checked BEFORE the Next Outing! Then I would have the Trailer Brakes/Bearings checked Before the Next Outing! Sitting along the Road is NOT a Good Trip! Youroo!! The smell is the Warning,now it is time for the Action!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #24

I have a 2014 247RKES, which when loaded is around 6700 lbs. I am pulling it with a 2014 Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L and the 3.42 gears.

I have driven my trailer probably 15,000 KM now and have never experienced a burning smell. We en drove up the Yakima mountain range (was at least 100 degree out) and even though the tranny temperature rose it was fine. We also had to go back down it and for the most part I let the truck do the braking but had to slow us down the odd time.

Being that you have the 6.2L max tow you are way better off than I am, so my guess is your brake controller is set to high or your trailer brake is possibly dragging. FYI I usually have my brake controller set at 5.5-6.0...
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #25

As for weighing a truck and trailer combo find a local business with a set of scales. Like a sand and gravel place or a feed store/grain elevator. Offer a box of donuts and they should let you use their scales. Try to judge if they are not real busy. Afternoons are best.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #26
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Should be able to feel drag if you try to roll to a stop brakes on tt control set to high. Also you can get the infrared thermometer at Lowe's works great. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlennick View Post
Hi, we are newbies and thought we had done our towing research, but notice when we are towing up or down hill, there is a very strong burning break odor. We have a 2015 Sierra Max 1500, towing a 2013 Wildwood 27RLSS. Do we have our trailer break system too high? Also since we do not have a weigh station anywhere close, how do we know we are within weight limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The question is, why do you think it's the trailer? If you can smell the odor going up/down a hill, you would be moving forward and the odor would be behind the trailer, not in the cab. If you smell the brakes, can you see one of them smoking? Have you been able to safely pull to the side to check your hubs? If one of the brakes is sticking, you should be able to feel it to be hot with your hand on the hub. You may also want to check for a loose hub or a wheel bearing that would cause the brake on that wheel to engage or possibly even loose wheel lug nuts.

For a moment, let's assume it may be the TV and likely the front brakes because you can smell it going forward. If you apply your TV brake hard, do you get a pulsing or shudder in the steering wheel with a load (TT)? I mention this because GM had a run of bad disc brake pads. When the brakes were applied under load, the rotors would warp, causing the shudder. Your 2015 TV should have disc brakes front and rear, so you need to check all of them. I had that problem and GM replaced the pads and rotors. Note, this was on a different year model.

Just throwing out some thoughts.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Is it just on hills or call the time? Are you riding your brakes down the hill? Use your engine for downhill.Are you sure you are not smelling g your tranny burning and not your brakes?
I think you are correct. If he is not riding the brakes and can smell burning brake/transmission while in motion, I would assume that the smell would be the transmission, if the trailer brakes were burning up you would not be able to smell them because the airflow is front to rear and he would not smell them until he came to a stop.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #29

Cool

Is this a manual tranny or automatic. If it's a manual you could be smelling the clutch slipping...
badgerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennise View Post
Might the odor be actually coming from other braking vehicles heading down hill?
I was wondering the same thing.

Bruce