Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamokadave View Post
Looking to upsize our trailer and trying to factor in running gear differences between a few that would meet our needs. There are two TT that are on my short list. A Coachmen Freedom Express running on leaf springs but wide spread axles, and a Lance running on closely spaced torsion axles. I'm currently pulling a single axle on torsion axles and it has been trouble free and trailer is well behaved on the road.
New trailer will be close to twice the weight and up to 9 ft longer(28-29ft). Can people share experiences with the wide spaced axles. I've read they tend to greatly improve straight line stability and load handling but are prone to tire scrubbing in tight turn situations. Not sure that I need to worry about that but have no first hand experience.
Also, advantages/disadvantages of torsion axles vs leaf springs.
Tow vehicle is a f150 145" wb
I just purchased a Forest River Coachman 281RLDS, and it pulls just fine with the wider axles. As for the chocks I had for my previous camper (Forest River 2014 Surveyor Select), I shall see in the spring if they open far enough to clamp on the new camper.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #22

Up until we got the Windjammer, I had always had spring axels. Had all kinds of problems with them, including a broken spring (naturally the long connecting one), and when I replaced shackles, I was really alarmed at how much they had worn for the little we drove. Also, as they wore, the tires went out of alignment adding to tire wear. With the new torsion axels, everything is pretty much sealed up and I have found no real wear and nothing getting out of alignment. They pull like a breeze and work just great. I do store the TT on a level slab, so there is equal weight on all tires. I don't think I would ever get the spring setup again.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmstack View Post
I just purchased a Forest River Coachman 281RLDS, and it pulls just fine with the wider axles. As for the chocks I had for my previous camper (Forest River 2014 Surveyor Select), I shall see in the spring if they open far enough to clamp on the new camper.
Chances are you'll need to get the wider X-Chocks.

The standard X-Chocks won't reach the tires of the wider spaced axles.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #24
Senior Senior Member

IMHO

Well, I have owned both and will never go back to leaf springs. Too much to go wrong and the ride is not as good. Another nice feature on the new Dexter torsion setups is that if you are unlucky and spin a bearing on your axle, the new Dexter axles have replaceable spindles. An excellent idea. Turns a costly nightmare project you must hire out into a fairly manageable DIY.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #25

My previous Rockwood had close torsion axles and my current Heartland has spread leaf spring axles. I had no problems with the Rockwood’s torsion axles but it sat low enough that it dragged the sewer pipe frequently. There seemed to be no easy way to raise the ride height so I just put up with it. The Heartland also was too low and dragged so I had the axles “flipped” which helped and later had the flattened springs replaced with ones with more arch. Now I have lots of clearance. If I was to buy another trailer I would prefer one with the torsion axles if the trailer rode high enough.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #26

I have 1 2017 Lacrosse 338RKT. It came with the wide space axles. Both axles are leaf springs. Each spring we pull this TT from Fort Smith, AR to Whidbey Island WA. It does appear to be more stable while passing semi trucks and in crosswinds. We have a little over 10k miles in two years and I have no regrets with the wide spread axles.
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #27
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
My previous Rockwood had close torsion axles and my current Heartland has spread leaf spring axles. I had no problems with the Rockwood’s torsion axles but it sat low enough that it dragged the sewer pipe frequently. There seemed to be no easy way to raise the ride height so I just put up with it. The Heartland also was too low and dragged so I had the axles “flipped” which helped and later had the flattened springs replaced with ones with more arch. Now I have lots of clearance. If I was to buy another trailer I would prefer one with the torsion axles if the trailer rode high enough.
I had a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner that had flat springs and under rated axles.

Had the axles upgraded to the next level up and traded it off a week later for my current Heartland 5'ver.

The dealer where I traded it in asked me if I had 'flipped' the axles, and told me that had I flipped them that they would not have taken it in for trade.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I had a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner that had flat springs and under rated axles.

Had the axles upgraded to the next level up and traded it off a week later for my current Heartland 5'ver.

The dealer where I traded it in asked me if I had 'flipped' the axles, and told me that had I flipped them that they would not have taken it in for trade.
I recently had work done at an RV repair shop. The owner asked if I had literally flipped the axles so that they were upside down. He said he has seen many flip jobs where that was what was done. Mine were done the right way by welding on new spring saddles. The trailer handles the same as it did before I had it done and ground clearance is great.

I don’t worry about trade in because I’ve never traded in any vehicle and I don’t intend to.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 11-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
I recently had work done at an RV repair shop. The owner asked if I had literally flipped the axles so that they were upside down. He said he has seen many flip jobs where that was what was done. Mine were done the right way by welding on new spring saddles. The trailer handles the same as it did before I had it done and ground clearance is great.

I don’t worry about trade in because I’ve never traded in any vehicle and I don’t intend to.
Yep.... pretty stupid to flip an axle but people do it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Lance solely uses torsion as well as I believe airstream. I've heard they are significantly more expensive as well so there must be some justification to use them
BTW, one of the best built trailers you can buy are the Outdoors RV products trailers. They come with rugged suspension made for offroad. They are leaf spring trailers only.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
BTW, one of the best built trailers you can buy are the Outdoors RV products trailers. They come with rugged suspension made for offroad. They are leaf spring trailers only.
If can't disagree, at least from what I've read about those.
I'm assuming however that if you took their suspension, compared to the typical TT manufacturered leaf suspension, and did a part to part comparison, you'll see some major differences in parts quality and duty level.
Happy turkey day!
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #32

Quote:
If can't disagree, at least from what I've read about those.
I'm assuming however that if you took their suspension, compared to the typical TT manufacturered leaf suspension, and did a part to part comparison, you'll see some major differences in parts quality and duty level.
Happy turkey day!
Yep, They have the Moryde suspension parts which is what I happen to be adding to my trailer for a little over $200. They also have shocks.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #33
Just A Member

I have a Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition with spread axles and leafs. It is by far the best towing TT I have ever owned and this is my tenth one. Mine is 35 feet and 9k pounds never have sway issues but did have to buy the extended X Chocks also. I have owned many snowmobile trailers with torsion axles the last was a 28 foot enclosed 4 place with spread axles. When loaded with 4 sleds it never pulled as good as this Coachmen does. I do plan to upgrade with the Moryde suspension just to have more peace of mind with better bushings and greaseable joints. I have had nothing but good things to say about this Coachmen and have heard the Freedom Express plant is one of the best run in the area by the Amish people working there. I have toured it twice and Steve the service manager is top notch. Also Coachmen still has their own club just like Forest River so you have both options for rallys. Coachmen hasn't stayed in business for over 50 years because they make junk but like every other manufacturer they make all price point units. The Freedom Express is one of best values out there in my opinion.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #34

I have the Freedom Express as well. The frame and suspension is made by Lippert and not by Coachmen themselves.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #35
Just A Member

That is a true statement. I have also had the Lippert people work on mine at the Frog rally and they have treated me well. Nothing major just adjusted slides and installed their Strongarms. The rallys are one of the best reasons to buy a Forest River product.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #36

My SIL bought a new Freedom Liberty Express this summer 33’ 8k fully loaded for boon dock. Scaled out well and towed better than anything short of some Airstreams I’ve towed. Considering I got 490,000 miles on my lil Econodiesel transporting TTs its a strong testimony. Great quality relative to price point also.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #37

I'm on my third TT. I've had narrow spacing and wide spacing. You will immediately feel the difference between the two regardless of torsion/spring. The wider spacing allows for a very nice tow and stable feel. The narrower will react faster to winds and large trucks passing by. I felt comfortable towing at 75mph with the wide spacing, but now with narrow, 65 is all I will do.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #38

I have had a 33 foot Rockwood tt with torsion axles for almost 7 years. no problem with axles.
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #39

Fastway makes their One Step locking chocks in an extended version. This is what I use. I think they are easier to use than X Chocks.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 11-27-2018, 06:15 AM   #40

Love it

We have a coachman freedom express 24RBS. This summer past was our second season.
Love the way it tows. Compared to the Jayco we were hauling, it’s almost like there isn’t a trailer back there.
Haven’t had any issues, like those I read about here, as far as the build goes. Maybe we got lucky or maybe they just build them better.
Kaffeenjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle