Old 07-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

Wildwood 195BH - WD/Sway bar questions

The family is sharing this trailer and want to be sure its easy to use a WD hitch on each of our vehicles without a ton of adjustments. All the vehicles are full size trucks or SUVs. Its a light trailer in that its less than 4000lbs and around 400lbs hitch weight. A few quick questions:

what the hitch ball size?

what WD or sway hitch do you all recommend with transferability in mind?

thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #2

First, the ball size is listed on your hitch...and, unless uncommon, should be 2 5/16". Double check the listed size on your trailer hitch.

No matter which hitch you choose, the ball height should be adjusted on the stinger to specifications of the WDH so you will need to double check this for each vehicle. If you get lucky, the ball height will be the same or within specifications on each when the stinger is mounted. If not, you will have to rebolt the hitch on the stinger to achieve the correct ball height.

Otherwise, I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro and am very pleased with the performance. Ball height would be the only consideration using a Blue Ox. This may or may not be the same with other brands...hopefully others will chime in to let you know.

A couple of other considerations: I chose a Blue Ox because it was one of the WDH designs that does not require a separate sway control bar. Plus the weight distribution bars do not require lubrication making for messy handling...the lube is in the pivot points internally on the hitch. And, when trading trailers, only WD bars would need to be swapped if going to a heavier/lighter trailer.

Blue Ox isn't the only great solution but I think it would meet your needs well.

Oh, and don't forget a brake controller and towing mirrors for each vehicle. You might get lucky swapping those as well. Tekonsha P3 brake controller would be swappable if you purchased and installed a connection harness for each. And lots of mirrors are generically mounted.

windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
rvb

ball is 2-5/16"

as for moving WDH between vehicles, I'd think a traditional WDH that uses the chains and a separate sway bar would be best, since you could use a different number of links under tension if you needed to for the different vehicles. ball height might still be an issue, but as those are not very expensive, you could get a separate hitch for not much $ and share the sway control.

I use a Fastway E2, but I think it would be less ideal for swapping between vehicles.

-rvb
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
rvb

oh, and 400lb tongue weight is empty... most of the storage is up front under the bed. fridge and storage under table seats is forward of the axle. pantry is only storage [slightly] behind axle. water tanks are behind axle. and you have to add battery to tongue. I estimated my loaded tongue weight to be 700lb+ w/o fresh tank filled.

-rvb
Old 07-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #5

I'm partial to Equalizer 4 point with sway control hitch. Before the 5er I towed thousands of miles with the Equalizer and zero problems.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

Different chain links on a snap-up system is to adjust the amount of weight distribution, not to accommodate different tow vehicles.

Measure the distance from the ground, to the top of the square opening on each vehicle. If they are within 1.25" of each other (the hole-spacing on all WDH shanks), then you should not need to re-adjust the ball-height between vehicles. If the spread between vehicles is more than 1.25", then whoever has the offending extreme will need to move the head accordingly when they use the camper.

This should be considered part of the agreement to share a trailer. Everyone agrees to protect the shared investment by towing with a proper setup.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Different chain links on a snap-up system is to adjust the amount of weight distribution, not to accommodate different tow vehicles.

Measure the distance from the ground, to the top of the square opening on each vehicle. If they are within 1.25" of each other (the hole-spacing on all WDH shanks), then you should not need to re-adjust the ball-height between vehicles. If the spread between vehicles is more than 1.25", then whoever has the offending extreme will need to move the head accordingly when they use the camper.

This should be considered part of the agreement to share a trailer. Everyone agrees to protect the shared investment by towing with a proper setup.

Few TT setups are exactly the same even with the same type of TV.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post

I mentioned that because different wheelbase lengths, different distances from rear axle to hitch, etc may require different amounts of weight distribution. that type of system will give -some- flexibility vs requiring adjusting brackets or adding washers, etc. so it is a consideration to accommodate different TVs.

-rvb
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

The only way to do this that is convenient and proper, is for each vehicle to have their own shank, ball-mount and ball -- for the same WD system. Else, you will either have to make unwanted adjustments every time a different vehicle is used... or you will just be towing with an incorrect setup.

In addition, each vehicle will have the WD system setup/tightened differently, based on factors already stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukee View Post
The family is sharing this trailer and want to be sure its easy to use a WD hitch on each of our vehicles without a ton of adjustments. All the vehicles are full size trucks or SUVs. Its a light trailer in that its less than 4000lbs and around 400lbs hitch weight. A few quick questions:

what the hitch ball size?

what WD or sway hitch do you all recommend with transferability in mind?

thanks in advance!
I would recommend for ease of transfer from TV to TV the Andersen will work the best . no need to do without sway control or any other option . simple set up and light weight .

Tags
sway, wildwood