Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Will a Chevy Colorado pull a Wolf Pup?

I have a 2007 Chevy Colorado crew cab 3.7 I-5. It has a gross tow rating of 4000lbs. I have a brake controller, tranny cooler, and load dis. hitch w/ sway control.

I'm considering a Wolf Pup 16BHS. It has a dry weight of 2800, and gross weight just under 4000.

I have reservations of if my truck can handle this trailer with ease. Am I being too paranoid, or should I look at something smaller?
derrickalda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #2

2800 lbs dry camper of that size will be 3600 lbs by the time you include factory/dealer options, battery, propane, and your own gear. Assuming your tow rating is calculated like most trucks, that leaves you with only 400 lbs of capacity for any passengers and truck cargo (beyond the driver).

If my 800 lbs estimate (over dry weight) is accurate, I think this is too much for you. However, if you can get a look at the 16BHS interior, there should be a sticker showing the ACTUAL empty weight, including factory options. As the dealer to estimate the weight of their options, or even better if they can weight the actual weight for you. Then you can estimate the weight of your own gear.

All said and done, you need to be sure that the total weight of the loaded camper and all passenger/cargo in the truck, do not exceed 4000 lbs. This might limit you to a high-wall popup camper. And for a 5-cylinder motor, that's probably best anyway. You would have trouble pulling a full-height camper of any weight on the expressway.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply!!

I went with my instincts that the wolf pup would be too much for me. I just got home after buying a 2015 KZ E14RBT. It has a dry weight of 2260 and gross of 2800. I drove interstate for 150 miles across rolling TN hills. The temperature was a breezy 65 today and I didn't see my tranny temp go up at all.
derrickalda is offline   Reply With Quote