Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #11

Ok, good to know -thanks.
I guess I just assumed a little Roo or the like would be under 400 TW.
No worries. We've not yet spent 1 night in the pop-up so looking ahead to something bigger is a tad premature, I suppose.
You're right, not many people use WD on pop-ups, do they? I had never heard of one until a couple of months ago and if not for someone pointing it out as something I should consider, I would have simply gone with a weight carrying hitch and, since I'm way under the 3500Lb limit of the vehicle, assumed I was golden. Even my RV dealer said "we never install WDH for popups". The more I read though it just seems silly to go w/out one. I bet that's a lot of it. People just don't know.
Kind of like winter tires up here in Canada, I guess. For years and years all I ever drove on was so-called all season tires. As soon as my wife got pregnant I got a set of winter tires and have never looked back. Night and day difference and I'll never go w/out them agian. To someone who has never tried them it's sometimes hard to convince them that they are worth the added expense. I suspect a WDH on a pop-up is the same sort of thing. Thing is, they more than pay for themselves if they help avoid the unthinkable just once. When I look at it that way it's a no-brainer.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
You're right, not many people use WD on pop-ups, do they? I had never heard of one until a couple of months ago and if not for someone pointing it out as something I should consider, I would have simply gone with a weight carrying hitch and, since I'm way under the 3500Lb limit of the vehicle, assumed I was golden. Even my RV dealer said "we never install WDH for popups". The more I read though it just seems silly to go w/out one. I bet that's a lot of it. People just don't know.
I don't think a WDH for a pop-up is silly. Putting 300 lbs. on a hitch will put somewhere in the vicinity of 400 lbs. on the rear axle, and take away ~100 lbs. off of the front axle. Depending on the rear axle load rating of the Quest, an extra 400 lbs., plus camping gear, plus passengers may exceed the rear GAWR.

Here is an interesting article with a guy that installed a WDH on pop-up being pulled by a Chevy Astro....a pretty substantial TV for a pop-up: Reese WDH Install

Here is that Reese hitch for sale: Reese 350 Mini-Lite Trunnion Style Weight Distribution - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts

Don't rule out a WDH.....I betcha the Quest will handle and ride much better with it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #13

I'm going to be pulling a 1910 with a 2009 regular cab Toyota with AT.
I had read somewhere that Rockwood discouraged a WDH and I wanted to ask them about it.
I called Rockwood two weeks ago and was told that I did not need a WDH for a 1910.
It was really hard to get someone at Rockwood to step up to the plate and give me an answer one way or the other. I had to make 3-4 calls and spoke to 5-6 people, all wanting to pass the buck to someone else to make the call on the WDH. Why? I don't know???
Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #14

Hmmmm. I really don't care whether or not FR thinks I need a WDH. I'll decide that for myself. What I'd like to hear them say is whether or not using one will void the 1910's warranty. That's a black and white, yes or no question they should be able to answer.
I've heard that all newer Rockwoods will accept a WDH no problem except for the LTD units. Not sure what "newer" means exactly but since mine is a 2011 and not an LTD I think I'm good.
Will you be towing with a Tacoma or a Tundra? I don't know the specs on either but would guess that you'd be ok w/out WD with the 1910 on a Tacoma and most certainly would be ok w/out WD on a Tundra. Sway control might be somethung to consider no matter what your TV is though.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #15

Tacoma
Old 03-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
2007 Nissan Quest. The issue for me is not so much whether I need WD - I could probably get away w/out it. Once loaded TW will be around 300lbs and for my van that's getting up there. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not adding a WDH will void the 1910's frame warranty.
Hi!!
Im confused about what you are asking.
So lets start this way.... Are you going to be exceeding your GVWR for either the TV or the trailer?
How about the GCWR?
If you answered 'no" to both those questions then I think you are safe.
And I think the only way you can void the frame warranty is if you are overloading your trailer while towing.
What do you mean the 300lb TW for your van is getting up there?
'cuz the TW is not added into your payload capacity of your van.
Im assuming your TV is rated to tow the trailer weight?
Also be aware that the weight distribution adds weight to your TV axles
front and back so make sure you stay below the axle weight ratings.
I cant see needing a WD hitch for a 300lb TW, but then again, idk your situation.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy
What do you mean the 300lb TW for your van is getting up there?
'cuz the TW is not added into your payload capacity of your van.
TW is considered part of vehicle's cargo cap (i.e. Payload).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #18
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
TW is considered part of vehicle's cargo cap (i.e. Payload).
Hmm.. are you talking for the tow vehicle payload?
TW is not included in the payload of the tow vehicle, as payload is defined as cargo. It is however part of the trailer weight.
I was confused about this awhile ago and actually called Chrysler and had them confirm it for me.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

The tongue weight of a trailer exerts weight on the TV, so that should be considered cargo weight. If you have a GVWR of 7000 lbs, and the vehicle, passengers, and other items weight 7000 lbs., then adding the tongue weight of 300 lbs. will exceed the GVWR.

People also need to consider the individual axle ratings. Putting a 300 lbs. of tongue weight behind the rear bumper is probably going to put an extra 400 lbs. on the rear axle, and reduce the weight on the front axle. If the rear axle is already approaching the GAWR, then a trailer might put it over the limit. That is why a WDH is good......it will reduce the weight on the rear axle, and put some of that weight back on the front TV axle, and also some of the weight back on the trailer axles.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
(Kim)

Well, most pick up trucks have more weight over the front axles than the rear.
And sorry, but I disagree with you on the TW concept, although I understand your thinking. As I said earlier, this completely confused me for a long while lol. I didnt believe any of the trailer dealers who told me that the TW was not considered part of the payload. Then I called Chrysler, and they explained it all to me. The Tongue Weight is not considered part of the trucks payload, although it is part of the overall GCWR. The payload is only cargo inside the truck itself ie. passengers, fuel, and cargo in the trailer bed. It does not include the 'weight' of the trailer on the hitch.

If what you are saying is true....then 99% of the trailer/truck combos that are on the road are exceeding their payload limits!!!!
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram with a total weight of 5700lbs and a GVWR of 6800 lbs which makes my payload 1100lbs.
This truck is rated to tow 9750 lbs, and the GCWR is 15,500.
If I towed this pretend trailer weighing 9750lbs that would make my TW anywhere between 975-1460 lbs, which would be way over the payload capacity, if TW was to be included.
Anyways, lol I dont need to worry about this because the 2306 is only gonna be 4000lbs or 400-600lbs TW so I will be inline with either of our methods.
Cheers