Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #1

Will air bags help or not

Wife and I have looked for a couple years and when we saw the windjammer 3008 we knew it was the one. First trailer but I have many years with tractor trailers so having a trailer not an issue. It is a 2015 3008 and truck is a 2010 F150 supercrew 5.4 and 145" wheelbase.
Going in to this I knew truck was going to be under powered and on upper edge of weight and size limit for this trailer.
I have a blue ox 1000 hitch and can get it handling and riding pretty good but if we start loading up and have to start adjusting hitch tighter then it starts to ride very rough and harder to steer.
What I would like to know is if anyone else has this setup or one close to it and if putting the Firestone bag kit on helped or made no difference.
Truck has about 45,000 miles on it, paid for and a new one in 3/4 or one ton is just not in the equation for a year or so. We haven't gone more than an hour or so away and until we get it handling better no plans to go any further for now.

I know what I will be replacing it with so PLEASE I just want to know if the price of bags will be worth it.

Thanks
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Infractee

Everything I have heard and read about the Firestone airbags has been posotive, seem well worth the money and transform the towing experience like night and day.

Unfortunately they would not work for me as occasionally I have to go off-road and get into some serious rear articulation situations that would destroy an airbag so for this reason I use Super Springs and I am very happy with them. Price was good and install super easy plus they do not affect my unloaded ride.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
What I would like to know is if anyone else has this setup or one close to it and if putting the Firestone bag kit on helped or made no difference.
We pondered the Windjammer before driving away with our 8293RKSS. Too much dry weight and especially too much on the ball. However, we're still pushing the envelope for a half-ton. Air bags? Absolutely! Firestone? Have you checked out the Airlift offerings? We've run the Airlift bags for three years and they've survived three nasty winters. The Firestone equivalents reportedly have an aversion to the cold. And the Airlift bags were buckets cheaper. Your installation will be different (coil vs leaf) but it could pay to shop around.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Wife and I have looked for a couple years and when we saw the windjammer 3008 we knew it was the one. First trailer but I have many years with tractor trailers so having a trailer not an issue. It is a 2015 3008 and truck is a 2010 F150 supercrew 5.4 and 145" wheelbase.
Going in to this I knew truck was going to be under powered and on upper edge of weight and size limit for this trailer.
I have a blue ox 1000 hitch and can get it handling and riding pretty good but if we start loading up and have to start adjusting hitch tighter then it starts to ride very rough and harder to steer.
Truck has about 45,000 miles on it, paid for and a new one in 3/4 or one ton is just not in the equation for a year or so. We haven't gone more than an hour or so away and until we get it handling better no plans to go any further for now.

I know what I will be replacing it with so PLEASE I just want to know if the price of bags will be worth it.

Thanks
Yes the bags are worth putting on! We had the same set of F/Stone bags on two new trucks. Sold them to a FRF members who still calls me about how Great the Bags are! We have a V-Lite twin to your unit,but as you know also the (Proper) TV is a (3/4 or More)! Talk to someone else if you think they are (1/2 ton) towable! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

I run Firestone's on my Silverado and Air Lift on my Hummer and never had a problem with either set, and I have done some very serious off-roading around here in Moab and the Air Lifts have survived.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If your hitch is rated at 10000 lbs, the bars are probably 1000 lbs which would be marginal for your camper when it's loaded. I'd recommend going to a heavier spring bar. Air bags will help with a smoother ride but wouldn't fix the weight-distribution problems you indicate with light steering.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
WFD

Check with your installer because when I wanted to put Firestone Airbags on my 09 F150 they told me they couldn't do it since Ford re-designed the frame and box of the truck with the outside mounted shocks. The frame of the truck has a flare to it and when they mount the 5th wheel hitch they have to put a steel brace on the frame that interferes with the airbag mounts...not sure if the trailer you are talking about is a TT or 5th...if it's a TT then I guess this won't apply to your situation.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I should have been a little more clear on this. I don't have an issue with too much tongue weight nor is the steering light. When I tighten the bars up to level the truck then the steering gets very heavy due to the weight on it. I have to be careful with what we can carry which at this point is not an issue. When I have the bars tight to lift truck to level that is when the rough ride starts.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

I had a 1998 ford f150 with the 5.4 v8, we have a 30' bumper pull. Although the WDH helped level out the truck, the ride felt a lot more comfortable when I installed the firestone ride rites. I only ever inflated up to 50psi but it made a huge difference in ride quality.

For the money I highly recommend them, inflate under load and deflate when empty to maintain factory ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thekipkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #10

Carrier, I have a 2012 F150 Screw and the Firestone airbags really help my ride. Lot's of users inflate to 50PSI, mine seems to be happy at 40. I am pulling a 2014 Rockwood 8310SS. I have the E2 hitch. I also went to E rated tires.
Best,
WA
wellsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
Perma-Newb

Here’s my experience with the airbag/WDH combo, my set up is in my signature. It does improve ride quality in regard to bouncing. The trick for me was to find the sweet spot, I got my equalizer 4 way set up correctly first, and then I started working on the ride quality with the airbags. To little pressure and it was still bouncy, to much bag and it took weight off the equalizer bars causing the trailer to sway. I ended up running about 30 lbs and it works great. I prefer a firmer more compliant ride and this was tough to achieve with Fords yuppy friendly rear end. The bags helped tremendously, not to mention their uses when not towing (gravel etc. in the bed).

2014 V-Lite 30WIKSS, Diamond Package W/All the goodies

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50858_1.gif
EarlyRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #12

You'll be very happy with air bags. We just wrapped up 9500 mile trip from NJ to Glacier NP, Moab UT and a few other awesome places along the way. I also own a 2010 F150 Screw 5.4 3.55 4x4 6.5 bed.Trailer is a 29' Coachmen 6500# dry. With wife and kids and a full water tank generator strollers etc we weighed in @ 15500#. Just a hair over max GCVW. I thought I'd be 1000# under.

I was prepared to buy a new truck along the way if need be. We were absolutely amazed at how it handled the trailer. The 6 speed trans is amazing. No problem stopping or accelerating. We did climb several mountain passes, secondary highways, in second gear 4500 rpm @ 45mph. On the flats I had no problem maintaining highway speeds 65-75.

I'm using a traditional 1200lb Reese equalizing hitch. Dealer also threw in a friction sway bar and I added a second friction sway bar. Didn't experience any sway under normal conditions. In high winds there were some white knuckle moments but I never felt in control.

As for the airbags... You'll have to find your sweet spot. Started at 60psi. Found 35 psi ideal. I always wanted to make sure the bars were carrying the weight and not the truck. I have a bicycle pump w gauge on it. Usually about dozen pumps to fill. Always deflated when unhitched.

Best of luck to you
Forest Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

Just put Firestones on my F250 and I don't know how I got along without them.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #14

Air bags are worth every penny!! Running the Airlift Ultimate 5000s here, love them!!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRetirement View Post
Here’s my experience with the airbag/WDH combo, my set up is in my signature. It does improve ride quality in regard to bouncing. The trick for me was to find the sweet spot, I got my equalizer 4 way set up correctly first, and then I started working on the ride quality with the airbags. To little pressure and it was still bouncy, to much bag and it took weight off the equalizer bars causing the trailer to sway. I ended up running about 30 lbs and it works great. I prefer a firmer more compliant ride and this was tough to achieve with Fords yuppy friendly rear end. The bags helped tremendously, not to mention their uses when not towing (gravel etc. in the bed).
Curious to know how that 6.2 is working. The Ford dealer I use have some 350 trucks coming in with only a few thousand miles on them. Some have the 6.2 gas engines and others have 6.7 diesels.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
Camper Less Camping

You will not be disappointed with airbags...period! ,)

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #17

Air Bags

We enjoy the Firestone air bags. I use them at 60lbs. That puts my truck at the exact height it was before I loaded the trailer on it.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #18

I echo the sentiments of previous posts, they are good, but if they are worth it is still questionable from my perspective , as Timbrens provide a very similar function at a fraction of the cost. I had both and I liked the Timbrens, but I do like the Air Lifter 5000 better, only because they were a gift from my sons.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #19

JMO, too much weight transferred to the front axle

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I should have been a little more clear on this. I don't have an issue with too much tongue weight nor is the steering light. When I tighten the bars up to level the truck then the steering gets very heavy due to the weight on it. I have to be careful with what we can carry which at this point is not an issue. When I have the bars tight to lift truck to level that is when the rough ride starts.

My two cents...

A red flag went up in my mind due to your statement above.

The WDH is meant to distribute tongue weight equally between the front and rear axles of the TV. They are not meant to level the TV. That is one of the reasons airbags would be used for; leveling. Before hooking up, measure from the top of your front and rear wheel wells down to ground vertically through the center of the wheel/axle. Then hook up. Re-measure without the bars installed. Now install the bars and measure again. Adjust the bars until you have an EQUAL amount of drop over the front and rear axle. To me it sounds that you may have adjusted your bars to put too much weight on the front axle.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #20

I installed AirLift bags and compressor with the auto-leveling feature on my 2004 Chevy 2500HD to tow my Sanibel 6301. They are incredible and worth every penny. I chose the AirLift because of their joust bumper inside. Just liked that feature.
TMMason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags