Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #21

I wouldn't advise towing during bad weather if you can avoid it. You're retired, so no rush, right. Hunker down until there's no possibility of snowy or icy roads. Traveling during heavy rains with lots of standing water can be risky even if you're ultra careful but somebody else is foolish.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspanky1 View Post
My husband and I live in Wisconsin. Now that we are retired, we are considering a trip to Florida for the 50th anniversary celebration of Disney in Orlando, Florida. Driving from Wisconsin to Florida in February while towing our Rockwood a214hw is going to be an interesting experience. Once we get south of Tennessee, things should improve. We plan to stay at the Best Western if things get rough. If any seasoned travelers have any advice, please share.
Best advice is to be aware of the weather you are going to be driving into. If Snow and Ice are expected I'd suggest finding a Best Western or Campground where you can wait for more favorable conditions.

If you find yourself in snowy or icy conditions forget any kind of speed. Even if the road appears to be OK if you carry any speed into a patch where it's NOT, you will wish you were more patient. Make sure you have the ability so stop safely. If you can do that the rest will fall into place. On that note, leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:06 PM   #23
D W

About 7 years ago we spent almost a week in Grants Pass, OR. There are two passes on the north side of Grants Pass on I-5. Although it was summer, I remarked to my bride that I'd hate to have to negotiate these passes in the winter with snow flying. Towing a trailer? Not me! Even the locals told us they are treacherous in the winter.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #24

Do it a lot with the snowmobile trailer. Just have to slow down sometimes no more than 30-35. Last year somebody blew by just in an SUV, must have been doing 60-65 on the snow packed roads. Came up on him 3-4 minutes later upside down rear tire still spinning. Called it in no point in stopping to risk myself knowing why he was upside down.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #25
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspanky1 View Post
If any seasoned travelers have any advice, please share.

Yes, wait until spring.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:53 PM   #26

When needed chains on 4x4 tow vehicle and cables on rear of trailer. Remember chains on your tow vehicle adds all kinds of dynamic vibrations into the camper. And steels on the trailer would really add to it. I’d limit the time and speed used. Also I’d do my best to plan around it.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:08 AM   #27

Towing in snow is not easy. Your trailer wants to pull your TV rear axle to the outside of turns. I have towed a light trailer in snow and didn't like it. I have towed boats a lot in snow for late season trout fishing.

For the shoulder season, the best thing to do is wait for roads to clear before you try any mountain passes. One day can make a big difference. I would not do any towing in the dead of winter.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #28

cspanky,We live in Waukesha WI. We drive to Florida and back every Feb pulling a 27ft TT behind our F150 Ecoboost. Just watch the weather forecast and if a storm is coming, wait until its passed and the roads are cleaned up. We screwed up one time and tried to head West of the storm on the drive down and the storm didn't cooperate. Ended up driving on black ice staying on the side rumble strip for traction doing about 15 mph for about 2 hours. We made it to Nashville, but I'll never try that again. Just watch the weather and don't take any chances.

Tags
snow, towing, winter