Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #1

Wiring a 5er to tow a trailer

We have a 2013 FR Flagstaff 8528IKWS classic super light. My husband is determined to pull a trailer behind this 5er to haul our Harley tryke! Yikes. It has a GVWR of 9350 lbs. can anyone give him some advice as to where the wires are so he can wire this for lights? And any other advice will be helpful. We are new at this RV thing but he has been pulling a fifth wheel cattle all over the country for years.
arthmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #2

I am sure that others will post but the frame may not be up to the extra weight

Also keep in mind double towing is not legal in any of the states along the Atlantic coast.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #3

Double towing is a way of life in SD, I mostly pull a trailer BBQ pit that weighs about 2500# loaded. I've pulled with a golf cart on a small trailer which went fine. Most people here are towing boats back and forth to the river each weekend. I tapped into my rear light wiring right up behind the back of the camper. It runs in a flex loom and I checked it with a meter to get the wires right. I use a peak brand rear view camera to keep and eye non that I'm towing which is nice. Make sure that your rear hitch is properly mounted.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
Site Team

doing this will probably void the frame's warranty, since it's an ultralight frame.

you should check with the dealer or the frame manufacturer, because most ultralight trailers have a warning sticker not to do such a mod.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, trailer, wiring