Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #1

With all the talk about sway and weight distribution

How is it that the guys that deliver these camper from the factory to dealers just hook up and go?

I must have seen 100 new trailers being delivered on my ride to pick mine up. From what I saw none of the "bumper pulls" had an anti sway or WD hitch. Almost all of the guys were driving 3500\F350 duallys, but how do they not worry about sway??

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #2

If you have the correct proportion of tongue weight then fish tailing shouldn't be a problem.
It's not all about the length. I had a 12 ft utility trailer almost get away from me from fish tailing when the load of deck lumber I had on it shifted towards the rear and took my tongue weight away.

I prefer the term fish tailing to sway. Sway seems to me to denote side to side movement from the top, like when a gust of wind hits the trailer. I know everyone calls fish tailing sway though, and sway bars are called sway bars, not anti fish tailing bars.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Well, your second paragraph pretty much hit it... they're all driving 1-ton, long-bed duallies.

A TV with such a long wheelbase and stiff rear-end is almost immune from contributing to the oscillation that can contribute to sway building up to dangerous levels. Also, these trailers are completely empty so, besides being at minimum weight on tires that have just been checked, they are going to have a good tongue weight proportion with no need to consider the proper distribution of the many hundreds of pounds of stuff that us civilians add. Also, being a pro, they would be aware of how to use their TV and trailer brakes to dampen out any sway that does occur.

Also, a WD hitch and/or sway control is going to involve attaching something to the a-frame and that's going to leave marks that the destination dealer and/or customer may not be happy with.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #4

I've known a few of the guys that pull these to the dealership, usually as a side job. As stated, most have a lot of truck but, primarily, it's not their trailer and they have insurance.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post

Also, a WD hitch and/or sway control is going to involve attaching something to the a-frame and that's going to leave marks that the destination dealer and/or customer may not be happy with.
Yeah I figured neither the driver nor dealer want to worry about setting up a hitch, that's why I was curious how they get away without using one. You're first paragraph helped explain that, thanks!!

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

The trailers are empty(no pay load) yes ? no ?
CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Yes as stated one ton trucks with long whelel base. I did sell a WD setup a few year ago and sold it to a fellow that does deliveries. He stated he had never used one but it some cases could use it.

I don't use our WD system either when I bring it away to storage and I can feel the difference empty or loaded.

The other thing I noted is that some of the deliveries the trailers are not riding level because they just hook up and go. I just have to wonder if this is causing some of the tire and axle issues on some of the new trailers. As discussed in other topics the axle ratings and tires are so close to capacity pulling out of level means an overloaded axle as well as two of the tires.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
The other thing I noted is that some of the deliveries the trailers are not riding level because they just hook up and go. I just have to wonder if this is causing some of the tire and axle issues on some of the new trailers. As discussed in other topics the axle ratings and tires are so close to capacity pulling out of level means an overloaded axle as well as two of the tires.
I've also seen the speeds some of these guys roll at on ST rated tires. Makes you wonder if it's really the tires failing or the fact they've been run at 80 mph for 1000 miles.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT View Post
The trailers are empty(no pay load) yes ? no ?
The trailers are empty but there's still tongue weight.
Should be close to the brochure/website "dry" hitch weight amount.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #10

If the issue is whether or not you should use an anti-sway feature on your travel trailer hitch, the answer is emphatically "YES"! We have been towing travel trailers with a variety of vans and pickups since 1993, and would not be without an Equalizer hitch system. We now have a Silverado 2500 HD Diesel and a fifth-wheel, and the towing experience is absolutely blissful.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #11

4 rear wheels equal less sway............ 4500 plus cargo capacity equals no problem with tongue weight.......a truck that out weighs a 1/2 ton by 2000lbs............. equal WDH not needed.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

I believe that the vast majority of towing problems are directly related to improper camper loading and " not enough truck "! My inlaws get po'd because I won't let them borrow our TT. Tough cookies, I've spent too much time on hitches and cat scales, making sure i'm safe to be on the road to let some yahoo just hook up and " borrow it for a weekend".
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
I believe that the vast majority of towing problems are directly related to improper camper loading and " not enough truck "! My inlaws get po'd because I won't let them borrow our TT. Tough cookies, I've spent too much time on hitches and cat scales, making sure i'm safe to be on the road to let some yahoo just hook up and " borrow it for a weekend".

Sounds like you are calling your inlaws yahoos. Here that could be a compliment......... (It really Wahoo before I get in trouble)

Why don't you tow it for them? Maybe they will like camping & get their own. Our son is using ours this weekend (No he did not tow it his Fit is a little too small)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #14

Agree with Oaklevel, while I would not loan my rig to a person who has never pulled a 30 foot plus rig, I do pull and set up the TT for the kids so the grands can campout. Takes a couple of hours each way, small investment of time to get kids/grands involved with camping other than the little bit they get from girl and Boy Scouts. They love it. I have friend that does the same, they set up camp a few days, move out for the kids for a week or so, they love it and it insures the safety of the rig us retires have worked so hard for.
A great feeling to be in a position to share Gods gift of nature with others!!!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
I agree , loaned out my trailer many years ago. When they brought it back it had 3 wheels . I asked where the hell is the 4th wheel . The reply was somewhere back on the four lane. So no more being mr nice guy.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, weight