Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #21
Incheon, S. Korea

If it wasn't built for towing you CAN fix that. It just costs money.
Find out exactly what you have, look very carefully at all of your purchase documents, and go and talk to the dealer. They (maybe just the salesman) duped you.
Find out exactly what is different about the max tow package. I see a 3.73 ratio, a bigger radiator and oil cooler, the select shift transmission, a class IV hitch, powered lights and mirrors, a brake controller, and a 7-pin harness.

The selectshift transmission has manual shift paddles so you can control shifts if you want to.
ehow.com selectshift-transmission
It MAY have different construction as mentioned in this new vehicle orientation page of Bill Brown Ford.http://billbrownford.net/Vehicle-Ori...-Transmission/

You may have to talk with one of the service techs to get the straight scoop on the differences.
There are a couple of VERY experienced Ford techs here on the forum. Hopefully they'll chime in.

An aux oil cooler, the bigger radiator, and a rear-end gear change should get you even with the max tow. The rest of the stuff is normal trailer stuff. The transmission is the big variable that I can't speak to. I'm a Porsche guy...
I was just curious as to the differences on the F150 because I found out the ONLY differences between the F250 and F350 is an axle spacer block and an additional leaf spring in the rear.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
Incheon, S. Korea

I also found this. towing guide for 2014 F150 trucks.
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...F150_Sep11.pdf
I feel like I'm shopping for a truck again! This is fun!
Oh, wait. Gas is $8+ a gallon in Korea. Never mind...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #23

From a fellow EB owner, you'll be fine. You'll want to lock out 5th and 6th and pull in 4th. It will NOT be a dog accelerating, either. You'll have power to spare. Too many people are stuck in the days of 3 and 4 speed autos when gear ratio was a HUGE deal. I have 3.55 gears and pull a 9500lb TT in 5th. A traditional V8 engine would need the steeper gears as well to keep RPM up where the power band is. An EB begins producing power much lower, again diminishing the returns from lower gears. Also, you will get a TON of misinformation concerning tow packages. I think the majority of the confusion is because you can get different tow packages and different engines. The Ecoboost trucks ALL come with the upgraded radiator and tranny cooling, whereas the NA engines don't unless you get the max tow package. I would recommend that you get load range E tires and consider upgrading your rear shocks. Air bags make a huge difference also, as the suspension on the half tons is setup for comfort.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #24

After he does all the upgrades everyone is suggesting he may as well trade in and get a 3/4 ton. You can't do all these upgrades without jeopardizing the warranty. Ford won't be your friend when you're in there fighting an issue.
Like I posted earlier, if he doesn't have a tow package then he's stuck. 45 sqft of max frontal area for the TT. It's real easy to sit here and tell him that he won't have any trouble cause it's an EB and they're made to tow anything. Well Ford doesn't think so or all F150's would have a 11,300lb tow rating. Are you guys going to help him fix it when it breaks?
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
After he does all the upgrades everyone is suggesting he may as well trade in and get a 3/4 ton. You can't do all these upgrades without jeopardizing the warranty. Ford won't be your friend when you're in there fighting an issue.
Like I posted earlier, if he doesn't have a tow package then he's stuck. 45 sqft of max frontal area for the TT. It's real easy to sit here and tell him that he won't have any trouble cause it's an EB and they're made to tow anything. Well Ford doesn't think so or all F150's would have a 11,300lb tow rating. Are you guys going to help him fix it when it breaks?

that's why he should get the vin# and take to a ford dealer to get the true specs on his truck. I agree, changing this, changing that, won't make any difference in the trucks towing capability. If its not rated for #11000, you can't add anything to make it rated for #11000 towing.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor4570 View Post
2014 F 150 EcoBoost purchased new from local Ford dealer who assured me that it would tow 11,000 lbs. My trailer is 7200 lbs so I was not concerned. Also, at the time of purchase, the trailer would only be towed short distances for service etc. Now, I am able to travel over this upcoming winter and am getting ready but.......my TV has a 3:15 rear end (news to me) and is rated to 8400 lbs not 11000lbs. Surprised, but I am ok with load capacity. My question is this....will I have problems because of the high rear end gearing?? Anyone else pulling with this combination?? Thanks!
Do you have the integrated brake controller or tranny cooler? To me, a F150 with a 3:15 ratio isn't really made for towing.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Adding air bags and replacing shocks will NOT void the warranty. I did go to Ford and find that the tow package is in fact still an option on the Ecoboost base model. My research in the past indicates that ALL EB trucks have the upgraded radiator and aux tranny cooler, though. Also, he's not towing 11,300, he's towing 7200. Why not hook up and see how it does? Your only other options are to waste a bunch of time trying to get the dealer to make it right, which they won't. Well, if you paid MSRP they might considering the thousands they already made off of you. Or you can trade it in and take the hit.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #28

Where are you traveling? I just drove a 2010 F150 5.4 crew 3.55 all through the rockies and back to NJ. TT is a 29' Coachmen loaded we were just over gcvw. Never had a problem. Not sure what the ecoboost comes with. I know the 6 speed trans is the same in all F150s. If your stuck with the truck just regear it.

Try towing first! Worse that'll happen is you burn some extra gas.
Forest Road is offline   Reply With Quote