Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #1

Would it be a good idea to haul extra diesel fuel when traveling from WI to Glacier?

I have a new tow vehicle and I have never been to Glacier in Montana before, so I am a little concerned about the lack of fuel along the way. My truck has a 34 gallon tank and I got 10.5 mpg on our maidan voyage towing my 8000 lb. Wolf Pack in Wisconsin a couple weeks ago. I should have a 300 mile range with those numbers and probably won't have any problems along I94. What I am worried about is after I leave the interstate highway and head into the park area. Are there a lot of services in and around Glacier park area? Thanks in advance for any advice given.
2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - SOLD
WingHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #2

I installed a RDS transfer tank with tool box combo in rear of my truck. It adds an extra 60 gallons. I also installed a gravity feed with a manual shut off valve. Not sure when your trip is planned but at 10-15 mpg towing or not, I don't have to fill up for at least 1000 miles. They make plenty of different brands with varying amounts of fuel that can be held.
Cacooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
outdoor addict

I have spent a lot of time with my 5er and diesel truck all over Montana. No problem finding fuel.
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #4

You should have no problem. I did just fine in Glacier, Tetons, ams Yellowstone getiing 8-10 mpg and my 26 gallon tank.

Just fill up before heading into Yellowstone as their prices can be quite a bit higher.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #5

Agree that you should not have any issues in Montana. Suggest using the Gas Buddy app if you have a smart phone. I also have the Pilot/Flying J app (I use the Pilot RV Plus from Good Sam for discounts).
Old 07-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

I agree you shouldn't have any issues... If I venture off the interstate I try to keep the truck above a half tank... works pretty well as I like to stop and check things along the way as well as have a pee break for the DW about every hour

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
gonecampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingHauler View Post
I have a new tow vehicle and I have never been to Glacier in Montana before, so I am a little concerned about the lack of fuel along the way. My truck has a 34 gallon tank and I got 10.5 mpg on our maidan voyage towing my 8000 lb. Wolf Pack in Wisconsin a couple weeks ago. I should have a 300 mile range with those numbers and probably won't have any problems along I94. What I am worried about is after I leave the interstate highway and head into the park area. Are there a lot of services in and around Glacier park area? Thanks in advance for any advice given.
We live in Kalispell just 30 miles from Glacier and no problems with fuel here.
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #8

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. Those were just the kind of answers I was looking for. So far our trip has gone very well, even if we did get a late start this morning. ( I had to work 15 hours yesterday. ) This is our first big trip with the new diesel and I would recommend it to anyone pulling a camper over 5000-6000 lbs. for long distances. Our camper weighs close to 8000 lbs. and I don't hardly even notice it behind the TV. We really bought the 1 ton for a 5er that we are looking at.
My wife and I are staying at a campground near Jamestown, ND this evening and would like to make Red Lodge, MT tomorrow night. We are looking forward to riding the Beartooth Highway on the bike. I have heard it is quite a ride.
Thanks again, everyone and safe travels!
2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - SOLD
WingHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #9

We were just in Red Lodge a month ago. Wife has a cousin there. That truck will really enjoy those mountains in Montana. Make sure your bike brakes are in good shape for the Beartooth! Send PICS!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #10

We have diesel here!

When we travel I use google and google maps to find stations with diesel pumps that are easy to access and don't have any overhead clearance issues or turning issues. With google maps, you can get a street view and plan all your stops from the comfort of your home. My stock tank is 37 gallons and I plan on 10 miles per gallon. With a reserve I usually look for a place to get fuel every 200-275 miles along our route. I have never had an issue finding a suitable place for getting diesel other than in Metro Areas where all the cars look like Diesel pusher dingys. Good luck! - there is a good place to get diesel with an RV just about 10 miles out of the west entrance to Glacier toward Kalispell. Also, I highly recommend the KOA in West Glacier - Not much of a KOA fan, but that one has their act together.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #11

Hey, like we say in aviation, the only time you can too much fuel is when your on fire!!!