Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #1

Would you tow with a Hybrid?

Hybrid f-150 looks to be in the offing in a year or two...

It will be interesting to see what the actual tow specs are.

The 2019 Ford F-150 H will be the company’s first pickup truck with Hybrid system - AutoSpies Auto News
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Failure is my business

Why not? The CCC comparison to the normal truck will be interesting. Batteries can be pretty heavy.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

"Ford promises that the new model will come with enormous payload and towing abilities. This is a bold statement by Ford since hybrid power-trains are known to be deficient in towing capacity. However, based on the automaker’s reputation for innovation, we will have to wait and see what they are capable of."
With the heavy batteries, I would expect towing ability to be somewhat less than the 2.7L EB range, but better than the base V6. But who knows. Electric motors put out a lot of torque. So maybe on-par with 2.7L EB. But don't expect 3.5L EB towing performance.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
"Ford promises that the new model will come with enormous payload and towing abilities. This is a bold statement by Ford since hybrid power-trains are known to be deficient in towing capacity. However, based on the automaker’s reputation for innovation, we will have to wait and see what they are capable of."
With the heavy batteries, I would expect towing ability to be somewhat less than the 2.7L EB range, but better than the base V6. But who knows. Electric motors put out a lot of torque. So maybe on-par with 2.7L EB. But don't expect 3.5L EB towing performance.
That is not quite true, just look at the power diesel-electric locomotives have. They have a diesel engine turning a alternator which powers traction motors on the wheels. Also, the largest open pit mining equipment are set up the same way.

Several years ago I had read about a fellow who converted a F-250 to the same setup as a locomotive. He said that the ccc was 100# less than stock and it pulled the same gross weight. Sadly, I lost the link in a hdd crash and can not find the guys site now.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #5

Tesla is introducing a prototype electric 18 wheeler so i guess the future holds many possibilities. I will go as far as the wallet will let it.!
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #6

The hybrid Tahoes have been around 10+ years, there was a hybrid Durango/Aspen the last year of body on frame construction. They all shared the same electric motor built into the transmission and many hybrid city busses use that same transmission. That setup did sacrifice a few thousand on the tow rating, maybe 30-40%. I would think with 10+ years more experience they should be able to make it a little less of a penalty. The best thing about those hybrids compared to say a Prius, is they could run 100% electric especially if just running around town unloaded. That potentially give you a great dual purpose vehicle for towing. Great mpg with a reasonable distance commute, and the ability to tow a full size camper on vacation or the weekend
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #7

You could sure tow with this F150.
If you could make it between gas stations.:roflbla ck:
Heavens to Betsy, Hennessey Is Making a 600-HP Raptor 6x6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	-velociraptor-6x6-side-black.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	157455  
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #8

Hybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post

Diesel trains have always been "Hybrids". Tows OK

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #9

Diesel over electric definitely has pull. Electric motors can put out full torque right from the get go. A friend of mine recently bought a 48 ft trawler that had one six cylinder diesel powering two electric drive motors. It was quite a conversion, and it worked!
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
Insert witty title here

If it's got the torque and payload I need in a reasonable price range, sure.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Take The Road Less Travld

with technology today, I’m sure they can make a truck that has hybrid mode for day to day driving and towing mode where the gas engine does all the work. I’m surprised they aren’t out yet.

The Ford F-150 Eb has been doing really well. Better gas mislaid day to day with still a really good tow capacity.
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #12

Hybrid towing

Just look at what they get out of an F1 car!
Why not tow with a hybrid?
JustMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
You could sure tow with this F150.
If you could make it between gas stations.:roflbla ck:
Heavens to Betsy, Hennessey Is Making a 600-HP Raptor 6x6
That looks like a half ton that could handle a big 5er! Need to keep a pic of that for posts where the weight police chime in!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #14

Cool

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/16/...c-self-driving

No room for the Lot Lizards in the Tesla!
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid