Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #41
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Hope the police checked his cell phone to make sure he wasn't playing with it and made the excuse he fell asleep!
Wouldn't matter. Unless he voluntarily allowed his phone to be checked, the police would not be allowed to check it. And they won't get a warrant for the data unless somebody is dead. I know this because I was nearly killed by a guy who I strongly believe was texting, no other reason. AND I was a cop at the time, coming home from my shift.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #42

Glad everyone is ok!! Might be a good idea to stop communicating with the other driver until everything is settled?
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Wouldn't matter. Unless he voluntarily allowed his phone to be checked, the police would not be allowed to check it. And they won't get a warrant for the data unless somebody is dead. I know this because I was nearly killed by a guy who I strongly believe was texting, no other reason. AND I was a cop at the time, coming home from my shift.
It always amazes me that police can't force people to give up the data on their phones but border agents (customs) can demand your phone and force you to unlock it.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
It always amazes me that police can't force people to give up the data on their phones but border agents (customs) can demand your phone and force you to unlock it.
I am guessing there is different Department of Homeland Security legislation that allows federal agents to search and seize within a border zone. The BP checkpoints north of the border are an example of that.
These laws don't apply when outside of the border zone. Legislation in Nevada is currently being considered that will allow leo's to search your phone after any crash.
As someone pointed out, a fatal crash will result in a search warrant for your cell phone activity.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Dash cams in both my vehicles to document stupid driving!
What kind are you using?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #46
Trailer Park Supervisor

I use this Vantruehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Amazon had a lightning deal for like 135 bucks a year or two ago. I also bought an extra dock that inserts GPS data in the video, like speed, to prove I wasn't going stupid fast too.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #47

If I were to look at the pictures with no explanation I'd swear that there was a fatality.

Glad everyone was OK in the end.

As for your actions, think of it like a pilot would. "Any landing you can walk away from is a perfect landing".

Instincts are quicker than thinking about what to do and then acting. The longer one drives and has to deal with hazards on the road the more those "instincts" are developed.

Luck helps too.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I use this Vantruehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Amazon had a lightning deal for like 135 bucks a year or two ago. I also bought an extra dock that inserts GPS data in the video, like speed, to prove I wasn't going stupid fast too.
Money well spent, dash cams could pay for themselves many times over in the event of a crash.
I bought a cheap one at Walmart but I can't get it to work properly. Time for an upgrade.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Money well spent, dash cams could pay for themselves many times over in the event of a crash.
I bought a cheap one at Walmart but I can't get it to work properly. Time for an upgrade.
I learned my lesson about "cheap". If they work well for any length of time it's a bonus. Often it's just money wasted as you (the generic "you") end up spending more for a decent product later.

I've considered a dash cam for some time but one that doesn't just record what's ahead but what's happening behind as well. I've seen several that have a remote camera that mounts in the rear window and feeds data to the main camera facing forward. Also have seen some that mount on rear view mirror and watch both ways.

For anyone that has an old smart phone that isn't activated anymore, you can buy a dash mount for it and just set camera for record. If set to store data on a memory card just put the largest card in that the phone will accept. You can record about 10 hours of HD video on a 32 Gb card. If no "events" you want to save, just erase the card before the next day. Keep a spare card of two in case you want to save any video for later. I have used old phones for various things long after their batteries go bad. One I used as a driving monitor for my insurance companies discount program. Just plugged it in to a USB outlet. It communicated with the "beacon" the company provided and then sent data to the company via WiFi when I parked the vehicle in the garage. Since I always had to have the phone in the car with me to make the system work, and I often like to be without the distraction of a phone, I just re-purposed an old phone and left it on a charge cord in the console.

Side note:
In the end I found their program only saved me $17 per year so I dumped it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #50

Glad you guys are all okay. How is the insurance? Is it being easy to deal with or is it like pulling teeth? Is it replacing belongings lost or damaged in the TT too? Just curious.
dangrega33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #51

After dealing with insurance companies for 3 year after an accident very much like yours I can only say one thing. Get a Lawyer!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #52

That's why I now have a front and rear dashcam. The camera doesn't lie.
2018 Silverado LTZ 2500HD CC Duramax
B.P.O.E. #2248
RamblinFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
After dealing with insurance companies for 3 year after an accident very much like yours I can only say one thing. Get a Lawyer!
It's sad that is the case. It should be cut and dry, but it's sad that nothing is like that these days with society trying to take the blame from the wrong and putting the blame on the innocent.
dangrega33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #54

I am so glad everyone walked away. Sorry for your loss of TV & TT. We've only had ours for not quite a year and we love it. We have made some mods and added stuff to make it our own and would both be brokenhearted if something happened to it. But in the end, it's just stuff. The life of my wife and companion of the last 49 years is worth more than anything we own. So glad you are safe and the young man didn't suffer anything major.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #55
CZG

This is exactly why I have a Garmin dash cam in my truck. It also logs speed by GPS. Helps if you encounter a dishonest person...... I'd be like. Here you are officer while handing him the memory card. So there is no chance of accusing me of altering the footage.
CZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #56

Just wondering why they totaled your truck. Other than the bumper, it looks OK.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:54 PM   #57

Scary stuff. That thing didn’t have airbags. You saved HIS life. Why was your truck totaled ? Frame ?
Jjmcgowan036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #58

Wow.... that scene is just sickening but so thankful you guys are all ok.
What park was that you were coming from? We just got back from Charleston County Park and the roads going to it are just like you described. Small two lane with hardly any shoulder that doesn’t have trees right up against the road almost. And very heavily traveled with trucks of all sizes. I was very nervous when we pulled out until I got past that area.
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #59

You as well as the other driver had an angel as your co-pilot, just as my wife and I had with us in our accident with an 18 wheeler on a narrow bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Normans accident.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	199843  
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 PM   #60

Glad to hear that everyone is ok. After reading all of these posts, and having just returned from a trip to Florida and back (no TT this time, just the Sierra) I will be buying a dash cam. (Kris, thanks for the link) I'm still amazed at how recklessly some people drive at 75+ mph. We had one guy pulling a utility trailer three or four cars ahead of us blow a tire on the trailer. Now this was a small trailer with what looked like a garden tractor on it, with (I'm pretty sure) 10" tires. I saw the car in front of us throw what I thought was a piece of an 18 wheeler's retread up in the air. It turned out to be the whole tire. Somehow the guy managed to stay on the road and get across three lanes into the breakdown lane on that little steel rim. Lucky he didn't kill someone at that speed. Makes you wonder though, What the h*** was he thinking????? 75 mph! All this not to mention the idiots that cut across in front of, and behind you, with a couple of feet between vehicles well over the posted speed limit.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote