Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #41

Not sure what the difference is. The B&W Companion leaves the entire bed free when it's removed.

??

PM Me if you need. I sure would like to know full scoop, cause I haven't bought the hitch yet!

I have to be able to lift it and get it out of truck bed..............
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #42

I love my b&w companion in my long bed GMC. One 3-4" socket it all that is needed. Guess tool-less would be nice, but I always have a tool box in my truck anyways. After my fiver rollover last year, I was sold on the quality and safety of the companion.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #43

Guess its all preference but look into the Resse I've had both and B&W paid me to send there hitch back it just wasn't correct at the time i bought my truck, that was 2010 my truck is a '11 , the hitch didn't sit rite it damaged the bed, heck they had a rep look at the truck and had no answer they even paid to have a spray in liner installed, they are a GREAT company no dought it was just the hitch that didn't work out, in 2011 GM changed the frame and it could've just been a glich with engineering on B&W side but like i said that were good to me, however the Reese hitch is a better hitch imo much easier to remove and install and yea I have my full bed there are 4 pods in the floor, google it the hitch is nice, just my 2 cents
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #44

Pods?
Old 02-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #45

I have a B&W and love it besides it made in my home state. I have heard that some Chevy trucks had problems with the B&W hitch because the bed wasn't flat from front to rear and had like a 3/8 dip in the middle. When you install the hitch it would put dents in the bed. Check you bed with straight edge before ordering one.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #46

Yes it has 4 pods in the floor of bed, like twist cams , think bout the only thing Ford is doing right is using this hitch from factory, ha! If you google the hitch you'll see what I'm talking about
Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #47

I see, but I don't have a Ford, so it makes no difference.......can't use 'pods'.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #48

I don't know what else to tell ya, you have to look it up online google Reese Signature Series 5th wheel hitch, then determine what's best , just saying there's no way I'd put that B&W in my truck but that's me ,good luck !!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #49

Around here allot of the folks have converted to goosenecks on their 5th wheel trailers and use the turn over ball so the bed is flat and clear without any tools they tell me it is easier on the trailer and truck. These same trucks pull heavy stock trailers. This is only an observation and not personal experience on my part.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #50

I have a Silverado 2012 3500 SRW and I like the B&W. When I get ready to lift mine out I just loosen the bolts and leave the hitch attached to the pin box and use my level-up to lift the hitch out of the truck bed. The B&W is a great hitch, one time I didn't tighten the last bolt up and I pulled the camper 10,000 miles like that and never a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #51

I appreciate ALL the input. I don't want to make a mistake.

I have googled the Reese Signature 24K. I see it on the Reese site, but I can't find any site that sells it to find a price. I'm sure I could call around. However, it doesn't appear that I have the setup to install this one. Seems a Ford truck with some kind of pre-installed something or other is needed....(??).... I also can't find out how heavy it is to lift it out of bed.

I realize the B&W is two pieces, and the head is light enough to lift out by myself, and the base is probably too heavy. I just want something I can remove at a campsite (Or if I use the truck to go fishing locally, or go hunting and pull my ATV, instead of pulling the 5er) to keep it from walking off.

B&W for Chevy is 18K.........which is not much more than the loaded trailer....which makes me think.

This is just one more thing that I need to educate myself on. I do not want to use a Gooseneck..........lots of reasons. But the B&W convertible with Companion would work fine. I like the idea of leaving bed 'clean' if needed, or leaving base only in if needed. I just wish it were higher capacity.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #52

Congrats on your new truck. It seems just by looks that you made the right choice!
fastwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #53

The Reese comes apart in 2 pieces as well ,you can remove it yourself with no tools and bolts. Don't forget you always can leave it connected to the pin and use the Jacks on trailer to lift hitch outta bed, but that's tricky to re connect. I could try and send some pics of my hitch but not sure how just yet, but like i said before i had both and I'm sold on the Reese imo just alot more solid hitch if your towing heavy , my pin is 3350 trailer was 19k and i know I've been heavier at times that's another reason why i went with the 24k hitch, imo that hitch in the event of an accident could hold my entire trailer if needed, if some fancy lawyer tried to sue me all of my equipment is with in or over the weight im towing, hitch ,truck, ratchet straps, everthing is up to spec. Just a thing to consider when going down the road
Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #54

Congratulations on the truck. By the way, the new B&W hitches are 20k and have redesigned the base. I just got a new base and love it! Check it out. I believe the new one is RVK3500 IIRC.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote