Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Remember the wdh "weight" is also considered "cargo"
If air bags are added they to are considered "cargo" as well.

Wdh and air bag system must be deducted from ccc number.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
We will probably follow the advice in this thread and get the Anderson at 60lbs...
canbyfam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #22

I have a '14 Silverado 1500 dbl cab with the 6.2 w/ max tow package and I'm towing a Tracer 3200BHT just fine. I have the wdh setup . I believe our TT are close in specs to each other. I don't even know its back there. We've been to NY and as far is VA Beach this past summer with no issues.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbyfam99 View Post
We will probably follow the advice in this thread and get the Anderson at 60lbs...
If all your research cuts you to using a 60# Hitch you NEED a bigger TV! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
I have a '14 Silverado 1500 dbl cab with the 6.2 w/ max tow package and I'm towing a Tracer 3200BHT just fine. I have the wdh setup . I believe our TT are close in specs to each other. I don't even know its back there. We've been to NY and as far is VA Beach this past summer with no issues.
Thank you so much, I was hoping another Chevy person with similar would weigh in( no pun intended). Your 6.2 is slightly different than our 5.3 but still close. We also have the max trailering pkg. we don't plan on hauling with tanks full and a ton of cargo either. This forum has definitely helped me learn more about our TV😊
Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Before you buy airbags try the WDH, I use the Equalizer and it works fine. I installed airbags on my Silverado 1500 to tow a 2702ss Rockwood (about 6000 lbs). I found them pretty much usless after the Equalizer install. If you decide you need them they will affect how the WDH is setup.
With a projected 1000 lb tongue weight, the OP will NEED a WDH. Even though she has a reciever hitch with a 12,000/1200 lb. rating, I seriously doubt that is the weight carrying capacity. I imagine the 1200 lb. maximum tongue weight is only when using a WDH.

IMHO, that is too much trailer for that truck.

Tow Capacity is 11,200 lbs. Even the trailer loaded to the max, that should be OK.

GVWR is 7200 lbs, with a listed payload of 1646 lbs. The listed payload is can be a bit deceptive. That is with a truck with no add-ons. My truck lists a 1632 lb payload, but in reality it is only about 1200 lbs. With me sitting in the truck, a bed liner, TracRac rails (no racks), and some personal gear in the cab, the weight adds up. Hang a 1000 lb tongue on the back end, load up the family (bunk house models indicate kids) and some camping gear and the 7200 lb GVWR is probably going to be exceeded.

GVWR is 16,7000 lbs......which is a pretty good number for a 1/2 ton truck. But, if the truck is loaded to the maximum of 7200 lbs, that only allows for 9500 lbs of trailer. That figure might be able to be kept in line if the trailer is lightly loaded.

Trailer length is 35' 8". That is 1 long trailer to be pulled by a tow vehicle with a 144" wheelbase. There are no hard and fast rules concerning trailer length vs. TV wheelbase, but a commonly used equation is the overall trailer leghth in feet should not exceed the TV wheelbase in inches divided by 5. so a 144" wheelbase dividee by 5 is a 29' trailer.

Quote:
If the canbyfam99 decides to get the Salem, then I don't think the Anderson is a good fit. It has never been proven on this forum that the Anderson can properly distribute the tongue weight like other WDHs.

Quote:
We will have the weight distribution, sway bars etc.
With a 35'8" trailer, sway bars are not the way to go. A better solution is a WHD with integrated sway control, like the Equal-i-zer 4 pt, Blue Ox Sway Pro, or Reese Straight Line Dual Cam. The best solution would be a Hensley or ProPride hitch for such a long trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #26

we never roll near the "max" weight of the TT, at most I put a few gallons in the black tank on the way to the CG, but other then that, the only tanks that are full are the propane. On our way to VA I scaled the TT around 8200 or so (I can't remember the exact but it was lower then I expected) with everything in it.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #27

All great information... You broke it down nicely and we also came up with some of the figures you did... We won't be loading up a lot and we have a 3 year old and an 18 year old( will be in college so most likely won't be with us much) we like the extra room especially since we have 2 dogs(80lbs combined). Fortunately we have put our deposit down but won't officially be ordering until end of November, ( picking up in March) so we have plenty of time to get it all figured out. Like the WDH suggestions and will research all of that thoroughly.

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #28

[QUOTE=bagged123;1008508]we never roll near the "max" weight of the TT, at most I put a few gallons in the black tank on the way to the CG, but other then that, the only tanks that are full are the propane. On our way to VA I scaled the TT around 8200 or so (I can't remember the exact but it was lower then I expected) with everything in it.[/

Sounds very similar to what our plan is... Doing the calculations it says we can handle about 1000lbs more than what you weighed in at( but you are only a few hundred heavier dry weight than we will be).
Old 10-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #29

Actually, my tow vehicle is Too Big (the way I prefer it).

I agree with what most have said. Your truck CAN tow it. It will be overweight. You probably will kill your brakes quickly. And it wouldn't be safe. The truck also is a bit lite to handle the sway.

I suggest you look at something like a Vibe 272BHS. It's about 1000lb lighter, which will help out quite a bit. I believe Salem has the equivalent model of that trailer.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #30

May I also suggest some 10 ply tires for the truck too?
Yours has passenger tires.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #31

I liked the vibe, my husband did not��

With the max trailering pkg we have there are a lot of things to help with all the usual issues one could expect. It has the stabilitrac and sway control and a lot of other blah blah blah stuff I can't pretend to know all about... Am going to take another peak at the vibe though��
Thanks!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #32

Remind your husband.. Happy wife happy life..

I believe the Vibe is a good step up from the Salem. In regards to technology as well as build. Plus the Vibe is Alum vs the Wood Salem. The Vibe also has an insultated and covered underbelly, unlike the Salem. Finally, because of the Vibes front cap it cuts through the wind better , making for a better and more fuel efficient tow. Oh, and it weighs less, so you can meet your trucks towing ratings easier.

Check out CouchRVNation.com they have the best prices on both hands down.

Remember that most of the safety towing features you mentioned only kick in during a loss of control. So you essentially need to be encoutering terrifying sway before you're trucks Sway control and stability control kick in.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
May I also suggest some 10 ply tires for the truck too?
Yours has passenger tires.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Ours actually have the really good beefy tires that most do not. We see all the other silverados and even the 2500 and 3500 have smaller tires, that look silly :-)

We got a very well equipped truck because we knew we wanted to start camping, I had no idea how many extras we got, until now.

I will certainly take a closer look and see exactly what we have but we don't have the standard tire for sure.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Remind your husband.. Happy wife happy life..

I believe the Vibe is a good step up from the Salem. In regards to technology as well as build. Plus the Vibe is Alum 's the Wood Salem. The Vibe also has an insultated and covered underbelly, unlike the Salem. Finally, because of the Vines front cap it cuts through the wind better , making for a better and more fuel efficient tow.

Check out CouchRVNation.com they have the best prices on both hands down.

That's who we are buying from... Awesome experience so far. My husband hated the front of the vibe... That was the only part he didn't like haha!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #35

We got ours from Couch 2 months ago and love it. I would highly suggest you opt for 2ac units. If you ever travel to areas that have a temp in the 90-100degree range your single unit will NEVER keep up with it. Believe me. We have the Vibe 308BHS (like the Salem you are looking at) and we've taken so many heat reduction steps from adding highly reflective tint, radiant barrier, blocked all sky lights, and modified the duct vents.. All helped a little bit not nearly enough. Definitely wish we opted for 2 ac units. Don't make that same mistake. Unless you only plan on camping in the late fall and winter that is.

Just remember that the Vibe will not rot if it gets wet.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Physical size of a tire does not mean it's "heavy duty" or not.
You need to see the tire size.
A P235 /75 /R15 is not even close in weight rating to a LT 235 /75 / R15

Your truck came factory with p rated tires which are not what your going to need to pull that trailer.
LT is what you will need.

Btw this is just an an example.

TURBS
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Physical size of a tire does not mean it's "heavy duty" or not.
You need to see the tire size.
A P235 /75 /R15 is not even close in weight rating to a LT 235 /75 / R15

Your truck came factory with p rated tires which are not what your going to need to pull that trailer.
LT is what you will need.

Btw this is just an an example.

TURBS
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "30 nights"

Okay totally makes sense... I guess I was confused because we have the LT pkg option and that only gives us a P255/R20 instead of the standard R17.

If my husband were doing the talking this wouldn't sound so ridiculous!

Grateful for everyone's patience. Again, it has helped me get a better understanding of things for sure.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
We got ours from Couch 2 months ago and love it. I would highly suggest you opt for 2ac units. If you ever travel to areas that have a temp in the 90-100degree range your single unit will NEVER keep up with it. Believe me. We have the Vibe 308BHS (like the Salem you are looking at) and we've taken so many heat reduction steps from adding highly reflective tint, radiant barrier, blocked all sky lights, and modified the duct vents.. All helped a little bit not nearly enough. Definitely wish we opted for 2 ac units. Don't make that same mistake. Unless you only plan on camping in the late fall and winter that is.

Just remember that the Vibe will not rot if it gets wet.

Do you have the ducted 15,000 or 13.5???
Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Okay totally makes sense... I guess I was confused because we have the LT pkg option and that only gives us a P255/R20 instead of the standard R17.

If my husband were doing the talking this wouldn't sound so ridiculous!

Grateful for everyone's patience. Again, it has helped me get a better understanding of things for sure.

I would have actually preferred the 17's over the 20's... But that's a whole nother argument.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Do you have the ducted 15,000 or 13.5???
We have a single 15k but upgrade.. Not enough by a long shot.

Tags
newbie, towing