Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #61

Also agreed. Motion passed

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #62
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

You will have a wonderful time. Check out the Jellystone campground in Burleson. It has a large waterpark and plenty of kid activities.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbyfam99 View Post
Hello everyone,

Please bear with me as I am in panic mode...my husband and I are having an issue with differing opinions on what we can actually tow. ( I have been reading a lot and am just overwhelmed). My question is the usual(can ourbTV handle this).. We have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 short bed with 5.3L V8 eco tech, with max towing package, a tow capacity of 12,000lbs and payload of 1,200... We are planning on getting the Salem 32BHDS with a dry weight of 7,955 (GVWR 11,019). Our TV will range from 600-800lbs with passengers and dogs. Seems to me we will be overloaded, am I not seeing it right???
No.
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
You will have a wonderful time. Check out the Jellystone campground in Burleson. It has a large waterpark and plenty of kid activities.
Thanks for the suggestion!!!! Will definitely look into it.
canbyfam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Remind your husband.. Happy wife happy life..

Check out CouchRVNation.com they have the best prices on both hands down.

You REALLY need to check out RVWholesalers if you think Couch's is the best place to go. I've yet to see anyone beat RVW's price, plus I don't think Couch's has the nationwide service network like RVW does. I've never met the guys at Couch's, but I have met many of the good folks at RVW and there is NO way Couch's has better people working for them. If you'll search the forums you'll see many instances where David Durnell, the owner of RVW, has stepped in and worked with customers to make sure they are always taken care of. Don't' think you can say that for Couch's.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You REALLY need to check out RVWholesalers if you think Couch's is the best place to go. I've yet to see anyone beat RVW's price, plus I don't think Couch's has the nationwide service network like RVW does. I've never met the guys at Couch's, but I have met many of the good folks at RVW and there is NO way Couch's has better people working for them. If you'll search the forums you'll see many instances where David Durnell, the owner of RVW, has stepped in and worked with customers to make sure they are always taken care of. Don't' think you can say that for Couch's.
Actually, from what you're describing it sounds JUST like Couch. The two people on the Ford Truck forum who referred me to Couch said that Jeff Couch actually greeted them at the dealership just to make sure they were having a great experience and to shake their hand to thank them for their purchase. Couch does in deed have a Nationwide warranty network as well as faciliates the warranty and claim portion for their customers. So you call them first, they will set everything up for you. It's actually also outlined on their website.

When I contacted Couch, my sales person (Brian Combs) was EXTREMELY friendly, helpful, and listened VERY well to all my concerns and questions. he provided outstanding support during and well after my sale. This is a testamony to their customer service as he was not the person my fellow Ford-Truck members had told me to ask for. That, to me, indicates a high level of customer service throughout the dealership.

There was NO pressure for me to buy anything. It was purely information that was given to me IF I chose to buy from them.

So here was our deal.
MSRP for our 308BHS Vibe was $37,900
Local Dealers (within 300 miles of me):$31,000 (Including Freight and liftime warranty) + $2000 Tax
Total if purchased locally: $33,000

Couch Price: $22,200 + $1220 Delivery + $399 Hitch + $1600 Tax
Total from Couch: $25,419

Savings of $7581.00

Yeah, that's a good deal!

I highly recommend Couch RV Nation (Though I have also heard great things about RVWholesalers, I just didn't buy from them)

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #67

I had contacted RVW as well as Couch's but RVW couldn't beat the price I got from Couch's. They do have a similar network as RVW... Brian Combs has been extremely helpful and patient(as we started looking and asking questions since Feb '15).
We tried to buy locally but no one really seemed all that interested in returning phone calls and emails after we had gone in to the dealerships. The service we have received from Brian and the business managers has been superb. All in all, it is just nice to know people have had good experiences at both places...we just feel Couch's really deserves our business because of the awesome service Brian has provided.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:07 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbyfam99 View Post
I had contacted RVW as well as Couch's but RVW couldn't beat the price I got from Couch's. They do have a similar network as RVW... Brian Combs has been extremely helpful and patient(as we started looking and asking questions since Feb '15).
We tried to buy locally but no one really seemed all that interested in returning phone calls and emails after we had gone in to the dealerships. The service we have received from Brian and the business managers has been superb. All in all, it is just nice to know people have had good experiences at both places...we just feel Couch's really deserves our business because of the awesome service Brian has provided.

A job well done!

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #69

I realize that everyone here is giving their best response and their best opinion, but with all the responses all over the spectrum, how does a newbie not get confused. I'm sure everyone on the forum is convinced in their mind, that they are correct, but how many of you are actually qualified to give this kind of advise. IMO I would like to hear from a qualified expert for a change. I mean this one went from "You are totally ok", to "No". COME ON REALLY.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
I realize that everyone here is giving their best response and their best opinion, but with all the responses all over the spectrum, how does a newbie not get confused. I'm sure everyone on the forum is convinced in their mind, that they are correct, but how many of you are actually qualified to give this kind of advise. IMO I would like to hear from a qualified expert for a change. I mean this one went from "You are totally ok", to "No". COME ON REALLY.

It's really up to each person the decide what they feel comfortable doing.
Would I tow 11k with a 1/2 ton?
Never.
Would I exceed my gvwr.
Nope.

It's up to you.

If you want " expert" I was a Ford tech, and am now an automotive instructor at a local college.
Take that how you wish.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #71

Yes, another newbie towing question😳

GM and ASE certified for 15 yrs.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #72

after reading through the posts on this a few times, I get the assumption unless you have a 1 ton or bigger truck, you can't tow anything.

With that said, though I have a similar truck '14 1500 DBL cab w/ 6.2 max tow package, and it says it can to 11,300#, would I "NO", can it, most likely but not for long. I to have a 32' 3200BHT Tracer similar to the floor plan of the OP, however, I gross out around 9500 per specs, but never been close to that, I run between 8100 or so, depending on the trip. So if you like that floor plan the salem has to offer, I would look for a lighter version of it, They do exist out there, you'll have to look around at the dealers around you.

I didn't realize the salems were that heavy for a TT, that's close to the open range TT weights which I think is a tad heavy gvw for a TT
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #73

these comments are most relevent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
I actually worked at GM and designed some of the electrical harnesses on your truck. I also towed with a 1500 5.3L pulling 8400 lbs on a 31 FT TT. Most of the time it was ok just a rough ride. Getting WDH to tongue weight/height setup is critical to the ride comfort. Your truck with the max tow pkg has the brake controller and hill accent/descent and sway control in tow haul mode that helps a lot. What I found is with that engine it is going to be working hard up hills and against head winds. It will probably want to run 4000 RPM's which is not enjoyable. I remember on mine going uphill against the wind and having my foot to the floor trying to go 55. Not fun.
a lot of people missed how well your truck is equipped, if you can convince your hubby on the VIBE, so much the better....you have done a great job researching and kept a great cool head with no negative responses to some posts that needed such. I think you have the WDH info and LT E rated tires requirements to do the job.

tow haul is a great extra...a lot of people don't have that and cant appreciate it...but into winds and climbing the rockies you'll be gritting your teeth ! looks like you are east coast located....you'll have fun.
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
after reading through the posts on this a few times, I get the assumption unless you have a 1 ton or bigger truck, you can't tow anything.

With that said, though I have a similar truck '14 1500 DBL cab w/ 6.2 max tow package, and it says it can to 11,300#, would I "NO", can it, most likely but not for long. I to have a 32' 3200BHT Tracer similar to the floor plan of the OP, however, I gross out around 9500 per specs, but never been close to that, I run between 8100 or so, depending on the trip. So if you like that floor plan the salem has to offer, I would look for a lighter version of it, They do exist out there, you'll have to look around at the dealers around you.

I didn't realize the salems were that heavy for a TT, that's close to the open range TT weights which I think is a tad heavy gvw for a TT

I found your replies to be most helpful as You understand the capabilities of the truck based on having similar equipment... We too will never max out, considering we won't be hauling full tanks and we don't need that much stuff for a few days of camping. Most of our camping will take place approx 2 hours from home and about 20 minutes from where we will store it. Possibly once a year we will take it on a longer trip but still won't be coming close to maxing out.

As far as all the other advice, I did take away a few very helpful tips and I learned a lot more about our TV because I had to go look for the information I didn't have originally. Ultimately listening to my in laws and my husband ( as well as watching GM towing tests with our TV) I am confident in our decision.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond
Old 10-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #75

Quote:
just let me through this out there I am sure I will get some negative feedback on here but that's life

a pickup is a very tough and forgiving piece of equipment and will take abuse overloading very well. A good driver can "safely" tow a large trailer up to the point something fails. this normally comes in when a salesman says "yes your truck will tow that no problem"

I have saw (as I am sure we all have on our travels) some setups that I refuse to drive behind or near where I am sure the driver is steering with one finger as the front tires are almost off the ground and rear bumper of the TV can grade the entrance road to the park a

my FW is loaded #14065 is with a pin weight of #2557 (all scaled weights) I had a 2000 F250 V10 with #5000 firestone ride-rite setup GVWR of #8800 towing capacity #14000

now given the weights of the setup I had everything is at MAX while it was in "spec" it is still at MAX capability of the truck this I was not comfortable with even to the point the hitch was a #15000

one year later I was the owner of a 2008 F350 DRW 6.4 diesel stability and drivability are improved 100% now the GVWR is #13000 and towing capacity of #17700 my combined weight is #23324 also upgraded to a #20000 hitch

now I can go on about axle ratings also that is just as important but the bottom line is what may work for years at MAX limits also is running the risk of failure sooner then a setup that is under limit.

I have been a heavy equipment mechanic for 22 years so not saying I am an "expert" but I have saw a lot of things break and I guess the bottom line is in my opinion if you need to watch what you load into your RV or TV by counting every pound 1 by 1 then you may need to look at a bigger TV or smaller RV
Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
a lot of people missed how well your truck is equipped, if you can convince your hubby on the VIBE, so much the better....you have done a great job researching and kept a great cool head with no negative responses to some posts that needed such. I think you have the WDH info and LT E rated tires requirements to do the job.

tow haul is a great extra...a lot of people don't have that and cant appreciate it...but into winds and climbing the rockies you'll be gritting your teeth ! looks like you are east coast located....you'll have fun.

Thanks for that response, that was the part I had a hard time getting through. The tow capacity with how well equipped our truck is...

We live in Chicago, and do plan at some point to head west to The Rockies, but since I lived out there for a time, I know to keep the trailer in the lower elevations and just take the truck or hike to the higher ones. I will still be gritting my teeth on some of those roads without the TT behind. Ha!

The vibe is out though... We want to stay on budget.

Thanks again!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #77

Quote:

Thank you... Many times I felt even more confused and I wasn't even qualified to speak on our TV... I came here because I was too embarrassed to admit that I was being cautious with the information I had already received from the people that knew our TV and how we would be using everything... Thanks for " lookin out for me"
Old 10-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #78

Quote:
You are Almost Correct about needing Expert to answer this! You will need Several Experts,1 for the MFG of the TV,1 for the MFG of the RV,1 for the MFG of the Hitch,and 1 for the Driving ability of the Driver! Now let us know how long it takes ALL of these EXPERTS to Agree! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You are Almost Correct about needing Expert to answer this! You will need Several Experts,1 for the MFG of the TV,1 for the MFG of the RV,1 for the MFG of the Hitch,and 1 for the Driving ability of the Driver! Now let us know how long it takes ALL of these EXPERTS to Agree! Youroo!!
that will never happen

Tags
newbie, towing