Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
ov845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 315
Yes, another newbie towing question😳

GM and ASE certified for 15 yrs.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
__________________

__________________
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
RollingDownTheHighway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 624
after reading through the posts on this a few times, I get the assumption unless you have a 1 ton or bigger truck, you can't tow anything.

With that said, though I have a similar truck '14 1500 DBL cab w/ 6.2 max tow package, and it says it can to 11,300#, would I "NO", can it, most likely but not for long. I to have a 32' 3200BHT Tracer similar to the floor plan of the OP, however, I gross out around 9500 per specs, but never been close to that, I run between 8100 or so, depending on the trip. So if you like that floor plan the salem has to offer, I would look for a lighter version of it, They do exist out there, you'll have to look around at the dealers around you.

I didn't realize the salems were that heavy for a TT, that's close to the open range TT weights which I think is a tad heavy gvw for a TT
__________________

__________________
2013 Prime Time Tracer 3200BHT
2016 Chevy 3500 CC, DRW (aka: bigbootyjudy)
Ribs in the smoker and Whiskey in hand
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
deebarjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: central arizona
Posts: 191
these comments are most relevent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
I actually worked at GM and designed some of the electrical harnesses on your truck. I also towed with a 1500 5.3L pulling 8400 lbs on a 31 FT TT. Most of the time it was ok just a rough ride. Getting WDH to tongue weight/height setup is critical to the ride comfort. Your truck with the max tow pkg has the brake controller and hill accent/descent and sway control in tow haul mode that helps a lot. What I found is with that engine it is going to be working hard up hills and against head winds. It will probably want to run 4000 RPM's which is not enjoyable. I remember on mine going uphill against the wind and having my foot to the floor trying to go 55. Not fun.
a lot of people missed how well your truck is equipped, if you can convince your hubby on the VIBE, so much the better....you have done a great job researching and kept a great cool head with no negative responses to some posts that needed such. I think you have the WDH info and LT E rated tires requirements to do the job.

tow haul is a great extra...a lot of people don't have that and cant appreciate it...but into winds and climbing the rockies you'll be gritting your teeth ! looks like you are east coast located....you'll have fun.
__________________
2008 F250 6.4 diesel with 50 gal aux tank towing a 2015 Rockwood 2109s Minilite.
2015 Miles and nights
10040/31
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #74
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
after reading through the posts on this a few times, I get the assumption unless you have a 1 ton or bigger truck, you can't tow anything.

With that said, though I have a similar truck '14 1500 DBL cab w/ 6.2 max tow package, and it says it can to 11,300#, would I "NO", can it, most likely but not for long. I to have a 32' 3200BHT Tracer similar to the floor plan of the OP, however, I gross out around 9500 per specs, but never been close to that, I run between 8100 or so, depending on the trip. So if you like that floor plan the salem has to offer, I would look for a lighter version of it, They do exist out there, you'll have to look around at the dealers around you.

I didn't realize the salems were that heavy for a TT, that's close to the open range TT weights which I think is a tad heavy gvw for a TT

I found your replies to be most helpful as You understand the capabilities of the truck based on having similar equipment... We too will never max out, considering we won't be hauling full tanks and we don't need that much stuff for a few days of camping. Most of our camping will take place approx 2 hours from home and about 20 minutes from where we will store it. Possibly once a year we will take it on a longer trip but still won't be coming close to maxing out.

As far as all the other advice, I did take away a few very helpful tips and I learned a lot more about our TV because I had to go look for the information I didn't have originally. Ultimately listening to my in laws and my husband ( as well as watching GM towing tests with our TV) I am confident in our decision.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond
__________________
canbyfam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #75
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
I realize that everyone here is giving their best response and their best opinion, but with all the responses all over the spectrum, how does a newbie not get confused. I'm sure everyone on the forum is convinced in their mind, that they are correct, but how many of you are actually qualified to give this kind of advise. IMO I would like to hear from a qualified expert for a change. I mean this one went from "You are totally ok", to "No". COME ON REALLY.
just let me through this out there I am sure I will get some negative feedback on here but that's life

a pickup is a very tough and forgiving piece of equipment and will take abuse overloading very well. A good driver can "safely" tow a large trailer up to the point something fails. this normally comes in when a salesman says "yes your truck will tow that no problem"

I have saw (as I am sure we all have on our travels) some setups that I refuse to drive behind or near where I am sure the driver is steering with one finger as the front tires are almost off the ground and rear bumper of the TV can grade the entrance road to the park a

my FW is loaded #14065 is with a pin weight of #2557 (all scaled weights) I had a 2000 F250 V10 with #5000 firestone ride-rite setup GVWR of #8800 towing capacity #14000

now given the weights of the setup I had everything is at MAX while it was in "spec" it is still at MAX capability of the truck this I was not comfortable with even to the point the hitch was a #15000

one year later I was the owner of a 2008 F350 DRW 6.4 diesel stability and drivability are improved 100% now the GVWR is #13000 and towing capacity of #17700 my combined weight is #23324 also upgraded to a #20000 hitch

now I can go on about axle ratings also that is just as important but the bottom line is what may work for years at MAX limits also is running the risk of failure sooner then a setup that is under limit.



I have been a heavy equipment mechanic for 22 years so not saying I am an "expert" but I have saw a lot of things break and I guess the bottom line is in my opinion if you need to watch what you load into your RV or TV by counting every pound 1 by 1 then you may need to look at a bigger TV or smaller RV
__________________
2008 F350 DRW 6.4 diesel
2013 365SAQ
Faulk222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #76
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
a lot of people missed how well your truck is equipped, if you can convince your hubby on the VIBE, so much the better....you have done a great job researching and kept a great cool head with no negative responses to some posts that needed such. I think you have the WDH info and LT E rated tires requirements to do the job.

tow haul is a great extra...a lot of people don't have that and cant appreciate it...but into winds and climbing the rockies you'll be gritting your teeth ! looks like you are east coast located....you'll have fun.

Thanks for that response, that was the part I had a hard time getting through. The tow capacity with how well equipped our truck is...

We live in Chicago, and do plan at some point to head west to The Rockies, but since I lived out there for a time, I know to keep the trailer in the lower elevations and just take the truck or hike to the higher ones. I will still be gritting my teeth on some of those roads without the TT behind. Ha!

The vibe is out though... We want to stay on budget.

Thanks again!!!
__________________
canbyfam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #77
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
I realize that everyone here is giving their best response and their best opinion, but with all the responses all over the spectrum, how does a newbie not get confused. I'm sure everyone on the forum is convinced in their mind, that they are correct, but how many of you are actually qualified to give this kind of advise. IMO I would like to hear from a qualified expert for a change. I mean this one went from "You are totally ok", to "No". COME ON REALLY.

Thank you... Many times I felt even more confused and I wasn't even qualified to speak on our TV... I came here because I was too embarrassed to admit that I was being cautious with the information I had already received from the people that knew our TV and how we would be using everything... Thanks for " lookin out for me"
__________________
canbyfam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
I realize that everyone here is giving their best response and their best opinion, but with all the responses all over the spectrum, how does a newbie not get confused. I'm sure everyone on the forum is convinced in their mind, that they are correct, but how many of you are actually qualified to give this kind of advise. IMO I would like to hear from a qualified expert for a change. I mean this one went from "You are totally ok", to "No". COME ON REALLY.
You are Almost Correct about needing Expert to answer this! You will need Several Experts,1 for the MFG of the TV,1 for the MFG of the RV,1 for the MFG of the Hitch,and 1 for the Driving ability of the Driver! Now let us know how long it takes ALL of these EXPERTS to Agree! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #79
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You are Almost Correct about needing Expert to answer this! You will need Several Experts,1 for the MFG of the TV,1 for the MFG of the RV,1 for the MFG of the Hitch,and 1 for the Driving ability of the Driver! Now let us know how long it takes ALL of these EXPERTS to Agree! Youroo!!
that will never happen
__________________

__________________
2008 F350 DRW 6.4 diesel
2013 365SAQ
Faulk222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
newbie, towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.