Old 05-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Yes or no.............air bags now?

OK, I've talked to a lot of experienced folks on several forums, including this one. I know, the sole towing experience with this 5'er is 600 miles hauling it home! BUT.....

I have a small cache of coin right now that I might not have next year.

Since I've done everything I can think of in relation to towing (dually, TrailAir, B&W Companion).......and it still bounced.......I'm down to one binary question.....yes or no.

Is it advantageous to go ahead and install air bags NOW? (In other words, are there any negatives to them at all?)

Just wiggling around in the driveway to put it in final spot here at house, the front seemed 'light' a little.......though the whole thing was really pretty level.

If I do it, I need to do it this week........leaving June 11 for a long camping trip and (long story) time is not my friend for next few months.

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
OK, I've talked to a lot of experienced folks on several forums, including this one. I know, the sole towing experience with this 5'er is 600 miles hauling it home! BUT.....

I have a small cache of coin right now that I might not have next year.

Since I've done everything I can think of in relation to towing (dually, TrailAir, B&W Companion).......and it still bounced.......I'm down to one binary question.....yes or no.

Is it advantageous to go ahead and install air bags NOW? (In other words, are there any negatives to them at all?)

Just wiggling around in the driveway to put it in final spot here at house, the front seemed 'light' a little.......though the whole thing was really pretty level.

If I do it, I need to do it this week........leaving June 11 for a long camping trip and (long story) time is not my friend for next few months.

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance!!
[I] have them on mine and see no negative. I used them with the 5er (14K) but really don't need them on the Hemi (8K) but will keep them anyway. Having the adjustability of the air gives you a lot of flexibility. Never experienced the bouncing, so can't say they will eliminate that.

2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

Thanks!

So, do you notice any adverse condition while driving the truck around town, or on highway, without the camper????

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks!

So, do you notice any adverse condition while driving the truck around town, or on highway, without the camper????
Not really. I keep around 5lbs in bags unloaded, in fact with the Hemi, bumper pull, I don't ever add air. With the 5er I used to run 20PSI. It's hard to tell since I installed the bags when the ruck was new so really didn't use truck that much prior to installing bags. Of course we talking apples and oranges between trucks. You have the GMC duallly and I have a Dodge Ram single wheel. From what I understand the GMC/ Chev ride way better than the older 3rd gen Dodges. I can say i had the Trimberns on a prior truck and while they worked to keep the truck from squating, they were rough unloaded if you were on a rough road. I much perfer the bags.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks!

With recommended "No Load PSI" the TV will perform normal! Youroo!!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #6

Thanks guys!

Prolly gonna try this...............

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

I have had them on two of my trucks now. First was a manual fill second truck I did on board air compressor. Love em. Prob won't own another truck without them. My truck and 5th wheel rides like a Cadillac. There are no down sides I see to having them.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #8

If you do decide to go with air bags get a compressor kit as well. I have Firestone bags and an Airlift 72000 wireless compressor kit and no drilling, hoses or wires in the cab. Really easy install.
The manual fill that I originally had was a pain in the butt.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
If you do decide to go with air bags get a compressor kit as well. I have Firestone bags and an Airlift 72000 wireless compressor kit and no drilling, hoses or wires in the cab. Really easy install.
The manual fill that I originally had was a pain in the butt.
Yes, thanks. I've heard that from others too.

(I need a loan.......and haven't even camped yet except stopover on way home).....

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #10

Get the manual fill for now and upgrade to the wireless compressor as money allows. I've have them currently on mine and will continue using them in the future.

Tags
air bags