Old 10-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

Yet another towing question.

Folks,
I just picked up by MicroLite 21fbrs today and towed it home. I drive a 2007 Tundra 4wd with tow package so the 3800 lb trailer is not an issue in that respect. I had 18 wheelers pass me on interstate and absolutely NO sway whatsoever so I am good there, My question for you tow experts is what the best way to stiffen the rear springs, the tongue weight is around 200 to 400 lbs depending on who you believe but I have yet to measure it. The Tundra handles it well but seems a little soft and I don't really want to go with a redistributing hitch but would prefer a modification of the rear suspension if possible, any suggestions would be great and I thank you in advance.

JW

Old 10-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Don't know if this will help but I put a set of supersprings on my truck to help with squat and don't even know they are on when not towing, but almost could go without wdh when hooked up. I'm sure more will chime in but that helped me.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #3

the firestone or riderite airbags will take care of the bounce. Probably inflate to 10-20PSI for towing and you can deflate when not towing for a smooth ride. Looks like you can be anywhere from $150-500 depending on if you opt for the onboard air compressor. I know you said no WDH but harbor freight has one for $200 and it'll only take you about 20-30min to put together and you won't have to worry about adding air or the potential leaks that come with airbags.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies thus far,
I am not DEAD SET against a WDH, it its needed I will get one. I am completely new to this TT stuff, I have hauled horse trailers and large hay trailers for years but this is all new. I bought a small and very light trailer for the simplicity of it but I do want to be as safe as possible and am open to any and all opinion of those more experienced. I think the tongue weight surprised me for a 3800 lb trailer. It doesn't make the truck squat much but it does feel a little bouncy on the road. Like I posted with the 5.7 and tow package the weight is not an issue and sway is not a problem, I would just like a more "stable" feel at speed if that makes sense.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonClark View Post
Don't know if this will help but I put a set of supersprings on my truck to help with squat and don't even know they are on when not towing, but almost could go without wdh when hooked up. I'm sure more will chime in but that helped me.

X2. I use as set of super springs as well but I set mine on the upper most setting so they are "active" all the time. I am pretty much constantly hooked to some trailer or have plenty of weight in the bed. I installed them to be active all the time to help my oem leafs keep there arc. They helped sway and stability as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #6

Well the WDH will make everything more stable as far as bounce and reducing sway even more, although you don't have any thus far, but you never know. I have still had a little bounce even with a WDH but It wasn't dialed in correctly and it was felt on a concrete freeway which are notorious for producing bounce no matter what. Really though the best things I believe you could do would be either the hitch or airbags or both. Also, are you running LT tires? I actually felt they gave me more of a stable feel as well.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #7

Go with a WDH.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #8

Don't know what LT tires are so I cannot answer sorry.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #9

My tires are goodyear wrangler 275 55 20s
Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #10

LT=Light truck tires. They're stiffer than P rate (passenger) tires. I don't why all trucks don't come with LT tires but the half ton trucks do not. I suppose they believe people who buy trucks won't ever use them as trucks and just grocery getters. If you look on the side wall of your tire it'll say something like P275/55/20 or LT275/55/20. Load carrying capacity of the P tires will be somewhere around 2500lbs and the LTs about 3000lbs. The LTs help stabalize the load. If you're in need of tires you may as well look at the LTs

Tags
towing