Old 09-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #11

If I owned one I wouldn't be too worried about it If they are like the ignition switches on the Cobalts which all haven't been fixed yet, or the air bag actuator replacements .......... we have two vehicles waiting on those...... The diesel vehicles will be wore out before the they are all recalled ....... If you want to dump one real cheap I'll take it .

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
If I owned one I wouldn't be too worried about it If they are like the ignition switches on the Cobalts which all haven't been fixed yet, or the air bag actuator replacements .......... we have two vehicles waiting on those...... The diesel vehicles will be wore out before the they are all recalled ....... If you want to dump one real cheap I'll take it .

My switch was fixed last year.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"

Old 09-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #13

We are still waiting on one at work .............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
A member here just traded his in for a truck! Good thing he did!
The Touareg is not included in this because it has the DEF system, it is the smaller ones that "don't need that emission " that are in the $h!# as it were.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
Steelhorzz

I don't think they will all be "fixed". The notifications only go out to the original owner. Once a vehicle has been sold, somehow they lose track of it. I still get notices for a recall on a car I haven't owned for 3 years!!
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
Once a vehicle has been sold, somehow they lose track of it. I still get notices for a recall on a car I haven't owned for 3 years!!
Not strictly true... I called GM about a used car I bought and I've gotten two recall notices about it automatically now. I took the trouble because it still had some factory warranty but they'll probably change the database if you call and ask.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Not strictly true... I called GM about a used car I bought and I've gotten two recall notices about it automatically now. I took the trouble because it still had some factory warranty but they'll probably change the database if you call and ask.
I guess it depends whose on the other end of the phone. I was concerned about the recall as it was a safety issue, (steering / handling). I too called GM gave them the info on when it was sold and to whom, (traded it into a dealer). And my vehicle was out of warranty. But I still get recall notices. Oh well.....
Old 09-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #18

I own a 2013 VW Jetta TDI and I'm not worried at all. VW made big mistake and it will end up costing them 1 or 2 billion dollars to fix it, but it will be fixed. If not, there could be another historic "buy back" (like Dodge Ram trucks) of all the VW TDI vehicles in question.

The Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board are now going to inspect all other diesel powered vehicles sold in this country to see if their highway emissions are correct. Diesel-powered light truck owners may also have emissions problems.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #19

Back to the original topic...

Surfing around, it looks like this was a software cheat with no mechanical way (don't know how you'd do that... a switch to detect a probe up the tailpipe?... too obvious) used of detecting when emissions testing was happening. In that case the ECC must have been programmed to go to clean-mode when a scantool was plugged into the OBDII port. Since it was stationary in the shop when this would happen, the engine probably lost considerable performance but the owner wouldn't have noticed because the engine wasn't being pushed in any way. They probably couldn't find any other way to a) have it get out of its own way, b) get 1000 miles per tank and c) pass regulations.

Not so high and mighty now for the pundits who said the Americans couldn't figure out how to meet small diesel emissions while VW could.

The recall fix should be pretty easy in the ECC code but customers are going to lose out in a) and b) - thus the class-action suits are already flying.

Some heads are going to roll in engineering over this one. If I were the CEO I'd put out a broadcast email that said they'd try to advocate for no prison time for the first person (and only the first) to name names. Once you have two links in the chain, the witch hunt should be pretty easy.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchauvet View Post
The Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board are now going to inspect all other diesel powered vehicles sold in this country to see if their highway emissions are correct. Diesel-powered light truck owners may also have emissions problems.
VW is already said to have set aside over 9 billion dollars to deal with fixing the cars and that doesn't include the up to $18 billion in penalties they could be subject to just in the U.S.

Probably not the owners so much as the manufacturers. That's why Mercedes, Audi and Renault stocks have taken a hit too.

Tags
diesel

« WDH Question | Mpg »