Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #41

Ha, I'd love to see your source for that WAG. "Most owners of" any vehicle don't have a clue how to change the oil much less how to disable anything. I fell for the hype and was in the market for one prior to the first announcement.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #42
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Who cares about this issue. Most owners of diesels get tunes to disable the majority of that bogus emissions crap anyway. How many posting in this thread actually own diesels?
I would say the vast majority of diesel owners do NOT have "tunes" and many don't even know what a "Tune" is. Especially when you are talking about diesels in cars, SUVs, & CUVs....which is what VW sells.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #43

Absolutely love my Passat TDI.
I am pissed that the govt singled out VW. (actually they were "caught" by an independent study probably funded by the UAW since they did not make their Tennessee plant unioniized)
I bet all manufacturers do this.
You think a 725 HP Hellcat is within emissions limits at full throttle?
More heads will roll in the near future me thinks.
Until then, I am off on a 1000 mile comfortable road trip at 46 MPG.

If VW detunes my car, I will retune it back. Runs awesome.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Ha, I'd love to see your source for that WAG. "Most owners of" any vehicle don't have a clue how to change the oil much less how to disable anything. I fell for the hype and was in the market for one prior to the first announcement.

The day is coming when you won't be able to modify engine or emission control software. Vehicle manufacturers are already looking in to ways to keep anyone from modifying their software. If I owned a company that manufactured engine "tuners", I would be concerned about the future of my company.

I own a Jetta TDI
sportwagen. It is a great car. There are few, if any, 2.0 liter factory built 4-bangers that can match it's performance or fuel efficiency.

VW made a big mistake when they tried to circumvent emissions regulations. The fix for the 11 million TDI Clean Diesel vehicles may end up being a combination of both hardware and software and that will make it difficult, if not impossible, for anyone tamper with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Who cares about this issue. Most owners of diesels get tunes to disable the majority of that bogus emissions crap anyway. How many posting in this thread actually own diesels?
mchauvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchauvet View Post
I own a Jetta TDI
sportwagen. It is a great car. There are few, if any, 2.0 liter factory built 4-bangers that can match it's performance or fuel efficiency.

The fix for the 11 million TDI Clean Dirty Diesel vehicles may end up being a combination of both hardware and software...
After the emissions system is fixed and the TDI is operating under the same rules (i.e. without the miraculous breakthroughs that turned out not to be so miraculous), I think you'll find that there were other engines that had the same performance and fuel efficiency.

Just so you know I'm not a diesel-hater, I have a Duramax 6.6 diesel and am under no illusions about its cleanliness - especially when I put my foot in it and see that black cloud come out under the right rear corner. But then, The General didn't try to dazzle me with claims of its eco-friendliness to get me to buy theirs over someone elses.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #46

My Silverado 3500HD dmax is legal

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I would say the vast majority of diesel owners do NOT have "tunes" and many don't even know what a "Tune" is. Especially when you are talking about diesels in cars, SUVs, & CUVs....which is what VW sells.
Are you talking about a MALONE tune on the VW? Or a SMARTY for the Cummins or EFILIVE for the D-MAX and or Cummins ?
Old 11-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #48

[QUOTE=spock123;991244] I wonder about the trucks that are "rolling coal". That is a lot of smoke. I wonder what the smoke would look like pulling a fifth wheel

I have a tuner on my PSD that will roll coal when turned up,but I set it back to 60RWHP when I have the trailer on. That 160 available RWHP would blow soot all over the trailer and pulling that much wieght, would probably be death to my trans as well.My truck did not have any emission control devices on it in the first place and my tuner allows me to switch back to stock (with no foot print) with a turn of the dial.I dont know for sure but I doubt that the turbo mods would cause a spike in emmisions.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Are you talking about a MALONE tune on the VW? Or a SMARTY for the Cummins or EFILIVE for the D-MAX and or Cummins ?
Obviously, you are in the major minority . . .

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
If VW detunes my car, I will retune it back. Runs awesome.

It is going to be very difficult for VW or any manufacture to get vehicle owners to comply with the recall. You simply do not have to let the manufacture or dealer have any access to your car to do the recall work.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
After the emissions system is fixed and the TDI is operating under the same rules (i.e. without the miraculous breakthroughs that turned out not to be so miraculous), I think you'll find that there were other engines that had the same performance and fuel efficiency.
You are quite correct regarding VW's misleading advertising (miraculous breakthroughs) and emissions cheating. I live in a county that does not perform emissions testing on any type of diesel powered vehicle, so I'm not sure how the EPA's approved fix will impact me. I'm part of a large class in the class action suit against VW. I have been assured that VW will be compensating me and many thousands of other owners if the fuel efficiency and power are reduced by any changes made to bring the TDI engine into compliance with EPA.

I've owned 2 GMC Duramax powered trucks, a 2004 and a 2010. Yes, they were in compliance with EPA regulations, but both trucks were garage hounds due to engine issues. I ended up on a first name basis with the local GMC service manager. After 70k miles, the Jetta TDI has only needed 7 oil changes and nothing else. VW cheated on the emissions testing, but they still build a reliable diesel engine.
mchauvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #52

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #53

ya,but what if

Quote:
It is going to be very difficult for VW or any manufacture to get vehicle owners to comply with the recall. You simply do not have to let the manufacture or dealer have any access to your car to do the recall work.
you live in a county that requires inspections...inspection stations red flag the dmv if you dont come back with your car able to pass inspection.
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #54
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
No....I'm talking about how the overall number of Diesel engines without tunes probably far exceed the number with tunes. Just like gassers, there are more without than there are with.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #55

Quote:
I live in Kali where we have diesel smog checks.
They will look for the recall either in decal form or with the OBD port connection.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #56

its your VIN that speaks...maybe govt will allow reflash till volks calls you in for the fix.
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
you live in a county that requires inspections...inspection stations red flag the dmv if you dont come back with your car able to pass inspection.
No I do not! In fact the state of IL does not do diesel emission testing at all, only gas engine vehicles are tested.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #58

I am dreading the day that emission tests will be required......I know it is coming but hopefully for this area its long off

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel

« WDH Question | Mpg »