Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #41

There are 3/4 ton suburbans out there but they are Fleet vehicles and you have to buy them used. Big price tags too.
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #42

If the self leveling shocks can be turned off, it's probably a fuse. Check the owners manual towing section as noted above, you might also call a dealer and ask about shutting the self leveling function off. I agree with the general consensus that the WDH probably needs adjusting. Double check the whole setup in a flat parking lot somewhere, including the ball height vs the trailer coupler height with trailer level to ground (front and rear of frame same distance from ground). Not as bad as yours, but went through something similar 1-1/2 years ago when we bought our first TT. I'm towing w/ a Durango w/ self leveling rear shocks that can't be turned off. The trailer never felt planted behind the TV, and I finally called Fastway (I'm using an E2 hitch made by Fastway) and they basically told me when setting up the hitch in those circumstances, to bring the front fender measurement back to or slightly past unhitched height. General setup instructions say to bring front fender measurements at least half way back to unhitched height. I've adjusted the hitch twice (caveat-the E2 needs a 250# torque wrench to adjust), and the difference in towing now is night and day. I don't notice semi's blowing by either direction anymore, and winds need to pick up pretty good before I can feel it.
I also need to mention that our circumstances are very different from yours, it's just my wife and I, which gives us a lot of flexibility managing weight. I tow with the Durango almost empty, less than 100# of stuff in back and basically everything in the trailer. Per CAT scales, the trailer came in at 5660 (vs tow max of 7200), and I was about 400# under the Durango GVW of 7100# (both axles were under max), and 20# over my max tongue of 720#.
I plan to upgrade TV's at some point in time, but for now all our camping is state parks within 4 hours, so we can make it work. If upgrading TV's is an option, I doubt you'll regret it. If not, I would double check the hitch setup.
Good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #43
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
6 people and a dog? That has got to be more than the 400 lbs you quoted earlier. That will eat up a bunch of you passenger/cargo weight, not leaving a lot of room for tounge weight.
People are heavy. Too often, people estimate their weights based on their unclothed, doctor-office weights. After adding clothes and shoes, that number gets higher for every occupant. So, it's always important to make sure that you're (doh!) using fully clothed weights for the occupants ... and don't make the mistake of omitting the driver.

300 - 350 lbs is a good estimate for a man and woman couple. Some folks are larger and some are smaller. Kids vary quite a bit based on age, build, etc. It adds up quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
[...] went from Georgia to the Grand Canyon last spring in my '07 F350 Crew Cab LWB Dually. You'd be surprised how roomy they are.
Agreed. Just test drove an F350. It was cavernous inside. Made my F150 Crew Cab feel small and cramped ... and that's not a small truck. The GMC 3500 wasn't as roomy as the F350, but still nice and big. Just couldn't get over how large the F350 cabin was.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
People are heavy. Too often, people estimate their weights based on their unclothed, doctor-office weights. After adding clothes and shoes, that number gets higher for every occupant. So, it's always important to make sure that your using fully clothed weights for the occupants ... and don't make the mistake of omitting the driver.

300 - 350 lbs is a good estimate for a man and woman couple. Some folks are larger and some are smaller. Kids vary quite a bit based on age, build, etc. It adds up quick.

Agreed. Just test drove an F350. It was cavernous inside. Made my F150 Crew Cab feel small and cramped ... and that's not a small truck. The GMC 3500 wasn't as roomy as the F350, but still nice and big. Just couldn't get over how large the F350 cabin was.
Yes, the original weight was what we came home with from the dealership. Adding my dad and grandson would be close to another 200 pounds.

It looks like he’s looking at the Dodge Ram 3/4 ton. Anyone know, the inside of it compared to the others. I also want WiFi like my Denali. Fingers crossed.
rouk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #45

The Dodge and Chevy isn't as readily available with a bench seat front and rear. Ford would have more availability.

Also, the Ford has a wider cab and I think generally more comfortable for travel with 6. I'd test drive them all and go from there.

The Dodge mega cab has quite a bit of legroom but probably more comfortable for 4-5 than 6
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #46

We found the bench seats in the dodge yesterday. They left one of the trucks unlocked so we were able to sit in it. My biggest concern is that we will have one car seat and 2 boosters. I really don’t want to be sitting between my dad and husband all the way to Yellowstone. We looked at Fords and Chevys but couldn’t get a good feel without sitting in it.
rouk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #47
Grammar Pedant

Technically, Dodge stopped making trucks about a decade ago. The Ram has, from what I can tell, a class exclusive Mega Cab. This is a more spacious crew cab, 4-door configuration. I haven't been lucky with Chrysler products, so tend not to consider Ram in my shopping list. But, that's not a knock against the brand, just a reason that I'm not as familiar with the offerings.

I liked the Ford interior better than GMC. It was more refined and larger. (Ford F350 Lariat vs GMC 3500 Denali).

But, definitely do some web searching on the Mega Cab, watch some YouTube videos, and see if that's a good option for you.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #48

Take one of those boosters with you when you shop. It'll help.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #49
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

The Dodge and Chevy isn't as readily available with a bench seat front and rear. Ford would have more availability.
Not sure where you got that...

The center console in my Chevy 2500HD flips up for a third person in the front.

My previous Dodge Ram did the same thing...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

I guess it could be the area..when I was shopping last spring that was my experience.. yours may differ. Most of the Rams and Chevy's had a center console that wrapped up into the dash. The Ford's that I was looking at (most of which were used) didn't have the console that wrapped up into the dash. Therefore, even if the truck had a console it could be removed and a jump seat installed instead (that's what I did with my King Ranch).

I do stand firmly behind the cab room comment though.

I cannot afford a new vehicle so I didn't even look at them. Having 2 in college will do that to ya!

If the OP is only looking at New then I'd still encourage them to shop around for what's best.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #51
Site Team

A little FYI about the Mega-Cab. I had one and while I liked it, it doesn't give you any more leg room. There's more storage behind the back seat, but even that's negated if you want to recline those seats. I'm not knocking the Ram's because I would have bought one this time, but they can't be easily lowered so our 5er could sit level.

The Sierra I have now has plenty of leg room for 5 people and 6 if one of them isn't really tall (the middle front has a 4" hump).
Old 02-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #52

As long as you are spending money. If you really want an SUV, you could call the Duraburb people in FL. They upgrade Suburbans (assuming Yukon too) with Duramax engines and matching transmissions and turn an ordinary 1500 into a 3500.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roa...ap-conversion/
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #53

You could always buy one of these...

http://stretchmytruck.com/services/s...r-conversions/

Or, talk to both Duraburb and these guys and have a stretched 1-ton GMC Denali! That would be cool! You'd have to make it A Dually though..
Old 02-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

My 3500 Silverado doesn't, my previous 2500 Silverado didn't, and my buddies' don't either. Center consoles are fixed in place. I think those that flip up are probably on the rare side.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:46 AM   #55
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedster View Post
My 3500 Silverado doesn't, my previous 2500 Silverado didn't, and my buddies' don't either. Center consoles are fixed in place. I think those that flip up are probably on the rare side.
Funny...

I live in an RV park...and I see them ALL THE TIME!

I bought mine off the lot...and saw several that were just like mine inside.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #56

My 2009 Silverado 2500hd has the flipup console into seat.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:20 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouk10 View Post
I read in our owners manual that it could interfere with it, so I'm seriously wondering the same thing. How do you do this?
This is an interesting question. I tow with a 2011 Denali equiped with factory air assist and in the process of setting up a new weight distribution hitch. As far as I can determine there is no way to disable the assist system. The GMC manual does in fact instruct you to first allow the system to level the TV after hitching the trailer, then continue with the hitch adjustment instructions. By the way, the Denali with it's 6.2 is a great tv, but I wouldn't go beyond the 23 footer 5000 pounder I'm towing.
John
flyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy700 View Post
This is an interesting question. I tow with a 2011 Denali equiped with factory air assist and in the process of setting up a new weight distribution hitch. As far as I can determine there is no way to disable the assist system. The GMC manual does in fact instruct you to first allow the system to level the TV after hitching the trailer, then continue with the hitch adjustment instructions. By the way, the Denali with it's 6.2 is a great tv, but I wouldn't go beyond the 23 footer 5000 pounder I'm towing.
John
You have to pull the fuses which disables the compressor.

In an earlier post I gave directions for an earlier model GM full size truck/SUV. More than likely it's similar if not the same exact fuses.

You do this in order to measure the proper "squat" for the suspension both front and rear. If you don't disable it the system will automatically compensate for the load and your measurements will be off meaning you won't have proper weight distribution.

Most hitch manufacturers recommend setting up your hitch in this manner if you have Autoride.

If you're getting along just fine without doing this then maybe just leave it alone.

With my '10 Escalade ESV AWD and the Fastway E2 hitch we pulled our 32.5' 7400lb Rockwood up to South Dakota from Georgia 2 yrs ago. No issues with sway at all. However, I did spend a lot of money in drivetrain repairs. Never again... No sway though...LOL
Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #59

Quote:
You have to pull the fuses which disables the compressor.

In an earlier post I gave directions for an earlier model GM full size truck/SUV. More than likely it's similar if not the same exact fuses.

You do this in order to measure the proper "squat" for the suspension both front and rear. If you don't disable it the system will automatically compensate for the load and your measurements will be off meaning you won't have proper weight distribution.

Most hitch manufacturers recommend setting up your hitch in this manner if you have Autoride.

If you're getting along just fine without doing this then maybe just leave it alone.

With my '10 Escalade ESV AWD and the Fastway E2 hitch we pulled our 32.5' 7400lb Rockwood up to South Dakota from Georgia 2 yrs ago. No issues with sway at all. However, I did spend a lot of money in drivetrain repairs. Never again... No sway though...LOL
Thanks matman, good info, I'll try that. We'd like to go a little larger on the trailer but we travel mostly in the mountains of the northwest, and given the cost of a new TV I'd like to keep it happy as long as possible [emoji57]
flyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #60

I personally think you got robbed on the hitch. You could always take it back to the dealer and demand they set it up right. Read the instructions and watch them. Not sure even then they would do it right. They may have a single axle scale there (rarely but some do).

Which bars did they give you the 1000lb or 1500lb? Should be stamped on them (I think it may just be the amount of dots). My dealer totally jacked the hitch install up so I took it to a shop and saw a significant improvement and learned how to do it myself. In the end I still had sway still so I got a Propride P3 and it resolved my sway issues.

Before spending any big money it would be worth the 1.5hr drive to the scale to check your setup and see how heavy things really are. It could be you need more weight distributed to the front and you are good. Maybe find a campground nearby and make a quick weekend out of it. I did this and quickly unloaded half of the stuff I packed (mostly tools) because I was over weight and totally unbalanced. Then I balanced the trailer load better. Then I started with the upgrades. The propride will remove sway but will not help your weight problem.

Know that eventually you will need an upgraded TV. A 40lb kid this year is 80-100 the next season. They double about every season and you won't have the payload to play with in a large SUV or likely even a 1/2ton after the kids have grown.

I would investigate some of the HD Vans over time. If you like bling get one converted if not just get the seats and drive it. We have 3 passengers with 5 on some trips where we end up taking two cars because I would be over weight with the truck until I upgrade.

Wish you the best and many happy years of camping.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
292 bhds, coachmen