Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Yukon Denali and Coachmen 292 BHDS

So...we thought we did our homework. We started out looking for a trailer under 8,000 pounds since our 2019 Yukon Denali could tow 8,400. After months of shopping, we realize that this was way too much. We were super excited to find the Freedom Express 292 BHDS with a dry weight of just over 6,400. We loved the bunk house, the storage and the outdoor kitchen, all within what we thought our Denali could pull. We pulled out of the lot on Friday, excited to start our adventure. As soon as we got on the highway my husband said that it was way too big, and there was no way that we would be able to travel very far with the trailer. We bought a blue ox stabilizer hitch at the dealership which they installed and put on our truck. The Denali's 6.2 engine is fine pulling it, it was the swaying and pulling us all over the road as we left San Antonio to Austin which is the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions, other than buying a new tow vehicle?
__________________

rouk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 9,486
Towing capacity is a marketing number to sell vehicles. You usually exceed cargo capacity or hitch weight before you exceed towing capacity. Cargo capacity is on a sticker on the drivers door jamb. This is the max weight that can be added to the vehicle. it includes the hitch weight, about 100 lbs for the hitch itself and any other cargo and passengers in the TV. Dry weight for the TT is also a marketing number as no one travels with an empty RV. You are close to your limits ( not knowing exact model TV). It is very possible that the WDH is not set up properly. They are not hard to set up. If you are comfortable, you might go through the set up procedures again. If not I recommend a reputable hitch installer.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,324
I pulled my 32' Rockwood with my 2010 Escalade ESV AWD which is rated @7800lbs tow. It also has a 6.2. it would tow the camper just fine. Plenty of power.

The camper is 6600 dry but with everything loaded I was closer to 7400lbs. With a full tank of gas and 6 in the vehicle I was over weight capacity. Even with that, it still towed just fine using a Trunnion style Fastway E2.

I don't tow any longer with that vehicle because I was tired of replacing expensive parts (two pairs of air assist magnaride shocks, and numerous upgrades to handle the weight). The thing that really stopped it was the engine temps when hauling and replacing the transmission and motor mounts. I just couldn't justify doing it any longer.

Good luck.
007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19


https://share.icloud.com/photos/0TQj...JoCHFtHBcNE8oQ

Not sure if these pictures will show up, the door didn't have the max weight, only the maximum weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 1504 pounds. Our owners manual is axle ration 3.23, maximum trailer weight 8,400 and GCWR 14,000
rouk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Thank you! This seems to be pretty close...give or take about 800 pounds. I'm not sure in the grand scheme of things, if that's a big deal. I'm totally torn. I don't know how to find a hitch expert, but I'm crossing my fingers that this will help in someway.
rouk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,324
Your WDH should be dialed in with the air ride shocks disabled. I'm willing to bet that the person that set it up didn't do that.
007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Towing capacity is a marketing number to sell vehicles. You usually exceed cargo capacity or hitch weight before you exceed towing capacity. Cargo capacity is on a sticker on the drivers door jamb. This is the max weight that can be added to the vehicle. it includes the hitch weight, about 100 lbs for the hitch itself and any other cargo and passengers in the TV. Dry weight for the TT is also a marketing number as no one travels with an empty RV. You are close to your limits ( not knowing exact model TV). It is very possible that the WDH is not set up properly. They are not hard to set up. If you are comfortable, you might go through the set up procedures again. If not I recommend a reputable hitch installer.

My door jam says that the combined weight of cargo and occupants shouldn't exceed 1,504. We were carrying 2 adults and 2 children with a combined weight of about 400 pounds. We don't have much in the cargo area, so I'm guessing we are way, way under in that area. I don't know how to tell how much weight is on our tongue. I did read something about us possibly not having enough weight on it (it was completely empty). We've had 2 RV's before, our 2nd RV was a Holiday Rambler and we towed a 30 foot trailer behind it, that houses our jeep, drinks, tables and misc. things. I (the wife) was able to easily drive this from Texas to Ohio and other places with no problem. Feeling the sway (and the stress of husband) on the way home, I would never try it on this one.
rouk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Your WDH should be dialed in with the air ride shocks disabled. I'm willing to bet that the person that set it up didn't do that.
I read in our owners manual that it could interfere with it, so I'm seriously wondering the same thing. How do you do this?
rouk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ron045's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 400
I'm guessing with others it's the WDH.

Was it windy that day? Could that have added to your stress?
Three weights to consider...

Tow capacity... You are within limits.

Cargo capacity in TV. Your tounge weight will eat up nearly half of it. You really need a well balanced trailer.

Combined weight. No one can really tow max trailer load because they will most likely exceed combined weight first.
I'm towing about 6,100 lbs with a Navigator rated at 9,000 lbs. But I am right up against my cargo weight. We have to balance the trailer very well. One trip just the rear axle was 80 lbs over. The dog is 80 lbs and sits right over it. Hmmmm.

Load it up and take it to the CAT scales. You will learn a whole lot of information by doing so.

Good Luck.
Ron
__________________
Ron & Family
Junior Season (Max time with the kids before they graduate)
2017-23 Nights, 2018-30 Nights, 2019-19 Nights
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
2016 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, 4.10
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
I'm guessing with others it's the WDH.

Was it windy that day? Could that have added to your stress?
Three weights to consider...

Tow capacity... You are within limits.

Cargo capacity in TV. Your tounge weight will eat up nearly half of it. You really need a well balanced trailer.

Combined weight. No one can really tow max trailer load because they will most likely exceed combined weight first.
I'm towing about 6,100 lbs with a Navigator rated at 9,000 lbs. But I am right up against my cargo weight. We have to balance the trailer very well. One trip just the rear axle was 80 lbs over. The dog is 80 lbs and sits right over it. Hmmmm.

Load it up and take it to the CAT scales. You will learn a whole lot of information by doing so.

Good Luck.
Ron
Really wasn't that windy. I kept looking for flags and banners on the way, and they were not blowing like I was hoping. Just googled and the nearest CAT scale is about 1 1/2 hours from us. We will have to make a day of it. Thanks for your input, very much appreciated!
__________________

rouk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
292 bhds, coachmen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.