Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #1

Yukon tow vehicle

So we just bought a 2010 rockwood 2501ss and we have a 2001 Yukon to tow it with. I would like to hear what you guys think about this set up. It has a 5.3L V8 the gears are 3.73's. The towing capacity is 7600#, the trailer is fully loaded with all options so probably around 6000# loaded. I have bought a reese wd hitch with dual cam sway control.

I won't get the trailer for another 4-6 weeks.

I live in Calgary Alberta Canada, in the foot hills next to the Rocky mountains, so not flat. Most spots are within 2 Hrs and once or twice a year might travel 5-7 hours.

Thanks for your comments.
Snivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums, there is an abundance of good information available, from very experienced RV'rs. Take heed to the comments you hear in regards to the questions you ask. Remember, the info you get may be different than what you are wanting to hear. Most people who post this question are hoping to hear "great set-up, you'll be just fine", when in reality, the trailer industry is pushing very heavy and long trailers under the catch phrase "1/2 ton towable's". There is much more to it that 1/2 ton towable.

1. Are you new to towing? This trailer is long and your wheelbase is short, assuming the Yukon is not an XL, the recommended wheelbase to trailer length posted in several other posts states your vehicle with 116" wheelbase is matched up to max length of 22' trailers. If you are not used to towing, there will be a huge culture shock when you encounter side winds and the turbulance created by semi trucks. Other issues include breaking and stopping distances, the distance between your TV rear axle and your TT axles also play an issue in what your tow vehicle will do when you have to swerve or stop suddenly. The longer wheelbase on your TV and the shorter span from your rear axle to the trailer axle, the better.

2. Your stated weights are probably ok, considering they are realistic, although it is a big load for the 5.3 engine. Again, more culture shock if not used to towing. At least your tow vehicle and the trailer are similar in overall weight, again very important that you have selected the WD hitch.

3. Expect any grades will increase the work load on the truck, don't be surprised when the tachometer is nearing 4500 rpm to maintiain 65 MPH,

4. Sounds that you have made the purchase and have committed yourself to the setup. Maybe the future will have a new tow vehicle in store for you, make sure the next vehicle is not driven by "getting by", rather by having enough muscle and stature to pull with ease.

By the way, love the Calgary area, hope to get up to several of the lakes near you sometime in my lifetime.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

We just recently sold our 2003 Coleman tent trailer. So I do have some towing experience, albiet it only weighed 2800# loaded.

We have thought of a new TV but if we don't need to it would be nice to save some money. My plan is to pick it up as soon as it is in and go for a good drive to the mountains. That still gives me at least a month to sell and find a decent 3/4 ton.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #4

You will notice that something is behind you. The tach will jump to 4500 alot in small hills, but should be able to pull this load, but your truck will tell you.
I started with a Chev 1500 then went with a Chev 2500 for the long haul and mountains what ever the name.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Flyrotor is on the money with his statements. I have a 5.4L Ford with 3.73 gears pulling 5500 lbs....and I won't let my tach get over 3500 rpms........I just slow down on the steep, curvy hills. Your 5.3L Chevy with those gears should be sufficient pulling 6000 lbs....the engine will grunt some, but that are what these engines are made for.

If you don't have the factory tow package, then some things are needed to be done to your Yukon to make it tow ready....like a tranny cooler, wiring harness and receiver hitch. You will need to add a brake controller, also.

You are pulling a long trailer with a fairly short wheelbase. Get a WDH with integrated sway control, and fine tune that puppy.

Be careful of the GVWR of your Yukon....you will be adding 500 lbs. or so right off the bat with the "adjusted" tongue weight of the trailer.

And BTW, welcome to the forum !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the Help guys. But when I got home I talked to my dad and he told me he was selling his 2002 or 2003 Dodge 3/4 ton extended cab diesel only 70,000km's. So i told him I would buy it. I don't think I should have any issue towing with this vehicle.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #7

Great snag... problems solved before any issues. Regardless, do not compromise, you will still find the weight distributing hitch and sway control a valid component for you and your family's safety.

Good Luck
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #8

I agree with mtnguy.No need to wind your motor that tight.I tow a surveror 291 with f-150 4wd supercrew 5.4.You may want more weelbase but I have no problems.A w/d a/s hitch and a trans. cooler are a must.
rsbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote