Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkey2 View Post
Now I see the delay in the posts as I an in the Florida keys and you are three hours behind, it's 7:20pm here and happy hour is just starting there.
Rick - can I officially hate you for being a Parrot Head?

WOW FL Keys - do you live there or is it just a Snowbird thing?

We will be on Sunshine Key next JAN for a week - can't wait!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #22

We live here in Marathon around mile marker 51.5 Sunshine key cc is about 11 miles to the south on the other side of the 7 mile bridge. We will be up in Maine this summer and will be out in AZ in the fall after coming home for the month of September. Will be back home in January when you will be in the Keys. I know you really don't hate me
rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #23

I'm going to be there in 2 weeks,. Coming from California.
pidoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkey2 View Post
We live here in Marathon around mile marker 51.5 Sunshine key cc is about 11 miles to the south on the other side of the 7 mile bridge. We will be up in Maine this summer and will be out in AZ in the fall after coming home for the month of September. Will be back home in January when you will be in the Keys. I know you really don't hate me
Hate? I think I miss-typed - I meant Envy

And...you are doing it right Rick! Maine in the summer (Wow, talk about from one extreme to another!!) I could not imagine what Jun-Aug is like in the Keys!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #25

Actually the weather here in June - August is not as hot as you would think. We never get over about the 90,s but the humidity is high but there is also a breeze as you know we are on an island. We do get a hot spell every now and then but it wont last long. But remember we are only 90 miles from Cuba and close to the equator and the sun is much hotter than up north. Yes it is nice to live here and in the summer the winds lay down and the seas are flat with visibility to about 40 feet, great for diving or snorkeling . As you know ( the grass is always greener on the other side ) We don't do ether anymore as we sold our boat due to, believe it or not lack of use as we now do more RVing. As far as snowbirds go I guess we are reverse snowbirds as we invade the people up north in the summer and people out west in the fall. One drawback about living down here is if you travel in a RV it takes a day and a half just to get out of the state. I try to keep my driving down to around 5 to 6 hours, no more 12hour days for me. Anyway you will have a great time when you come down in January. I see you are from AL, we were at Isaac Creek C.O.E park in Franklin AL last year, very nice CG. Are you aware of the America The Beautiful Senior Pass ? 50% off at C.O.E / U.S. Forestry ect...
Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #26

Having never been to the Keys Rick, thanks for the info on summers - I guess the prevailing winds is what makes it tolerable there in July

Going to the keys is a bucket list item; DW has been but not me so it will be one of our first stops after we retire this DEC -- what's it like driving the bridges to the keys in a MoHo? Bet the view out the windshield is fantastic! Keep your eyes on the road Bob!!

Funny about your reverse snowbird comment - it sorta tracks along our when we retire "85/45 Rule:" If the temperature is hotter than 85°, get in the MoHo and leave; If the temperature is colder than 45°, get in the MoHo and leave!

I'm like you - no more 12 hour driving days! The journey is the destination! Even now, 300 miles is about the max I want to drive!

Senior Pass. A-YEP! We were up at the Freightliner Ringgold Oasis center right after my 62nd birthday last year and the first stop after dropping off the coach was Chickamauga Battlefield NP so we could purchase one! What a DEAL!

Hey, thanks for the tip about Isaac Creek! I am slowly compiling a list of big rig friendly parks. In a lot of cases, COE parks are not - I was pleasantly surprised to see that this place can accommodate us!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #27

Yes you will love the view driving the overseas hwy ( US 1) but like you said pay attention because nobody is. If you see a convertible watch out they are tourist and it is a rental car from the airport and they are not necessarily even from this country. People who live down here don't drive convertibles, we gravitate toward AC and shade. It's funny that you see people coming down with the tops down and starting to glow bright pink but all those convertibles heading back north have the tops up, I guess there fried. But what the heck i'm sure they had a great time. As far as the C.O.E goes I have found no problem with the size of our coach with toad. Now I have been to a few that 40 ft is the max and I see you are 43 ft. Go to recreation .gov pick a state and put in your info and it will give you places that can take a coach such as yours. Just remember that driving down here nobody is paying attention and it's not uncommon for the car in front of you going the speed limit to slow down to 15mph and a hand with a camera pop up to take a picture, the convertible again
Old 03-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #28

Thanks for the info Rick! Also for the link for COE - I did not know about that!

The tip about idiots in convertibles is good to know - thanks!

Nice thing about our rigs Rick, is the air suspension, and the wonderful by-product of that suspension: air - which can be re-routed to the AIR HORN to let idiot drivers know they are doing dumb things

Which, speaking of Air Suspension gets us back on the thread we hijacked
Old 03-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #29

Good talking to you Bob and I also hope pidoma responds with any info about the air bag problem and if the calibration made any difference with the air bag situation.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #30

As soon as I get a resolve I will post,. Thanks
pidoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags