Old 03-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Air bags don't re-inflate

Need advice:
After auto level my front air bags don't deflate but after 1 day the air does seep out of the bags leaving coach low to ground.
When I get ready to leave I raise the jacks but bags don't re-inflate.
In time they do inflate as I drive down the road. But I end up scraping my step, not good.
Anyone have similar experience.

pidoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #2

Are you saying that your rear bags inflate but the front do not?

rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

Cycle the jacks. Our process is start engine, wait until we hear the air fill release, raise jacks and wait until air bags fill. We check the wheel wells to make sure ther is about 4" gap between the top of tire and wheel well.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

I think every Charleston & Berkshire owner has done this at least once

As you are getting ready to depart, take a moment to fire up the engine & just let it idle. This will start filling the air tanks. Within 5 minutes you will hear a "pop" This is the pressure release valve - your air tanks are now full.

Turn off the engine, pull in the slides, dump the auto-levelers and restart the engine. Go outside and pull your sewer hose or whatever else you have to do. While doing those tasks, you will notice your air bags inflating. When completely inflated you should be able to easily pass your fist between your front tire and the wheel well; your Forest River 'sweeper' should be several inches off the ground.

Time to go
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #5

We do almost the same thing . After getting everything inside ready I put my key to on and retract slides then retract all jacks. Now I start the engine and as BamaBob said I go outside and secure sewer/ water/ electric ect... all this time the air is building up and air dryer pops off. You can see the coach lifting up to travel height. As said sweeper off ground and clearance between tire and wheel well. I did have one time after this procedure that the coach did not air up the bags so I went inside and turned on my leveling pad and it showed jacks down and wait. I pushed retract all and the lights went out in about 5 sec and coach aired up to travel height and was good to go. I really don't think any thing good will happen if you drive down the road with bag deflated, probably screw up the wheel wells the first good turn and damage the tires as well.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkey2 View Post
Are you saying that your rear bags inflate but the front do not?
Rear inflate but front do not
pidoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #7

Pidoma sorry I don't have the answer to why the rear bag inflate and the fronts do not. As I responded to your post about air bags not dumping I had the same problem and calibration of the leveling system is very important. My 2007 Charleston would not dump and after calibrating it worked perfect. Also sometimes it takes longer than others for the bags to get to travel height, hence do outside preparations while air builds up and engine warms up. I use my cruse control in the off position to raise my idle to 1000 rpm during warm up. I am going to try to paste instructions. At least you will know that the system is calibrated. Please respond with any results you get to this forum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pg-82-L0317-T.pdf (81.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #8

One more important note is the last step in the calibration process is after you push retract all 3x to set zero is to push retract all again 3x to let the system know that the coach has the 4 pin dump harness plugged into the controller . The controller is not the touch pad in the coach but is on the basement ceiling .
Good Luck
Old 03-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #9

While not familiar with this particular system, there is a process that is important to follow with air bags on a coach with air brakes.

Never, ever, move your coach until the pressure has come up to full max. The low pressure horn and light should go off at about 65PSI, but it is not yet OK to move your bus. The air bags do not begin to inflate until pressure is near 100PSI and should be fully inflated by the time the air dryer blows off. With uninflated bags, moving your bus may cause the suspension to cut or tear the bags, resulting in a very expensive repair bill. This information came direct from Freightliner.

So, as mentioned earlier, always start your machine early and let the pressure come up to full max PSI before moving. Your air bags should then be fully inflated. If not, there is another problem in your system that must be resolved.

Charlie

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

I just finished chasing this issue with my 2015 Charleston.

After talking with Freightliner Custom Chassis, and Equalizer Systems, it appears that there is an incompatibility between the auto-levelers, and the airbag suspension. Basically, each company wants to blame the other for the problem.

The solution is pretty easy. Just run up your engine and get the air pressure all the way up before you retract your levelers. The dump valve on the suspension needs at least 100psi pilot pressure to operate, and the Equalizer controller only puts out the command to move the valve for two minutes before it goes away. If the pressure doesn't rise fast enough, the control signal disappears before the valve moves - leaving your airbags dumped.

According to Equalizer, you don't have to put the jacks down first (if you're storing your unit). Just be sure to press the "All Retract" button after you air has come up to pressure.

I just wish there was a warning light or something that would tell us that the suspension hasn't inflated. It's no fun driving with no suspension!

--Carl

ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags