Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #21

Makes you wonder how hard it would of been to put an air gauge on the dash for tag so we could actually see what's it doing. Big trucks have them.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #22

System 2 on the dash is the air bags. I actually wait for both system air gages to reach 125 psi. System 1 is the air brakes.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
System 2 on the dash is the air bags. I actually wait for both system air gages to reach 125 psi. System 1 is the air brakes.

That's not how I understand the system. I'm not saying you are wrong but would like more input. I understood that the two gage were for the two tanks. I also understood that the system was all tied together. I guess I better dig my info out and brush up on my air brakes.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #24

Air bags...

I bought my Charleston in Nov 2014.....

And I have had the same problems....here is what I have been told:

- the valve is not positioning or switching properly(however, when I took to Freightliner, they did not agree)
-it takes a while for the bags to "inflate"...although there may be a leak or a fitting not secure.

When I have this problem, I turn the engine on and off, recycle the leveling system.....and the turn the engine on. You can tell the difference in the height the tire is below the fender.....

Good luck, and let me know if you find out something else!!

Larry
Old 09-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #25

I could certainly be mistaken on what system 1 and 2 are and whether brakes and air bags are independent. I'm not having much luck producing the documentation that supports my understanding.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 09-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
I could certainly be mistaken on what system 1 and 2 are and whether brakes and air bags are independent. I'm not having much luck producing the documentation that supports my understanding.

I hope someone will chime in on this question. My understanding of the air system is that the front tank or tank one is feeding the front AB as well as the air bags. The rear controls or feeds the rear brakes. The two tanks are tied together and the air drier expels moisture from both tanks. I also thought that tank one is a two chamber tank but I'm not sure if that.
I am not certain of this info and post it more as a question than a statement.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #27

From the Freightliners Drivers Manual:

"Allow time for the air compressor to build up a minimum of 95 psi (655 kPa) pressure in both the primary and secondary systems. Monitor the air pressure system by observing the dual system air pressure gauges and the low-air-pressure warning light and buzzer."

It also says:

"A dual air brake system consists of two independent air brake systems which use a single set of brake controls. Each system has its own reservoir, plumbing,
and brake chambers. The primary system operates the service brakes on the rear axle; the secondary system operates the service brakes on the front axle."

So I was wrong....but when I hit the retract all button on the leveler system it more noticeably effects the secondary system so the air bags must be plumbed on the secondary system.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 09-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #28

Good info. Thanks.

Tags
suspension