Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Air suspension not filling?

Hello! Question from brand new Charleston owners. We have never had a diesel pusher before - just upgraded from a Class C and brought home our new baby 2016 Charleston on Saturday. Here's the problem. Our ride home from SC to VA was wonderful. 85 down the interstate and never felt a bump. However. Last night we drove it to dinner and it seemed like the air bags never filled. It was the worst ride ever. WAY worse than any ride in the Class C! What are we missing or doing wrong? None of the air gauges alarmed or even looked "off" so we have no idea what the problem was. Any ideas??
JillH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

To check the. Air bags, put the feet down which will dump the air bags. Then check where the tire height is compared to the body. Then retract the feet and start the engine, which will inflate the air bags. Check the tire height and see if it is at least 2 inches higher. I just picked up my new one a week ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Ok. Don't own a Charleston (wish I did!) but I own a Berkshire. Occasionally my air bags do not fill?? I turn my leveling jacks back on an hit the retract button again. Let the jacks go thru the raise cycle again.

After I do that mine will start to air up. I can tell when mine is aired up by where my full width mud flap is. Mud flap will be laying on the ground when air is down.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Mine has done that on occasion. I figured it out after pulling out of a campground, making a turn onto the highway and having the tires rub on the fender. They rubbed enough to take a chunk out of it.

After I start the engine, I turn the power on the jack system, hit retract all, let it cycle, then turn the power off. Then I check to make sure they air bag system is engaged. I check this before driving off every time now.

I'm not sure that is the correct procedure with the chassis, or why it works that way, but that is how I make sure they are working.
goscubadive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #5

Air Bags

Same thing with us. I learn the hard way drove down the road and it bounced so bad we caught air. Had to pull over and figure it out. Make sure that the jack are up all the way, and or dump the system and start over. It takes a while to air up the airbags in RV.it has 2 air tanks to fill (1. For Brakes 2. For suspension) It does take a while to air up. Cold mornings does the same thing.
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

Been there and done that. I was resorting to hitting the retract button 3-4 times to make sure the jacks were up. Finally got around to checking the fluid level and discovered I was a quart low with jacks and slides in. I'm back to one push of the retract button now. Should have caught this much sooner.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies!! Next time we put down the jacks and put them back up we gave it plenty of time to fill and we didn't have a problem. Didn't realize that the jacks going up initiated that process. Our next ride was much smoother. This is a big learning curve! Thanks again
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

Hey JillH24, here is a link to the manuals, it will show you all the information and recommended procedures for the hydraulics plus all the trouble shooting procedures.
A Equalizer manual come with the unit, but the print is too small for me to read....

Service & Support | Equalizer Systems | A Days Company | Official Site

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #9

Air suspension not filling?

Our ride home from SC to VA was wonderful. 85 down the interstate and never felt a bump.

Not to be a jerk but as you have seen with the air bags every thing on these MH's doesn't always work as expected especially with a new rig. If you had a blowout at 85 you and your family would be a news item for one night. Please rethink your driving. Driving a 40000 lb.motor home that fast is not safe.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

I have to agree with Phil57. The governor on the MH is set to max out at 85 for a reason. I find the best things for me in our Legacy with the toad is to just stay in the right lane and set the cruise on 63-65. I'd rather there in one piece than not at all.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #11

I learned about the air bags on my Berkshire the same as you. My procedure which has yet to fail me is 1) start engine 2) allow both air systems to reach 125 psi 3) hit power button on jacks 4) hit retract all 5) wait for system to indicate all jacks have stowed 6) visually verify all jacks are up 7) drive away.

I agree driving 85 mph is very dangerous. As conceptumator stated 64 mph and 1700 rpm is optimum for fuel economy not to mention a much safer speed.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #12

My speed is governed by my toad. 65 maximum speed for no more than 6 hours with running the engine in forward and reverse for 5 minutes to circulate tranny oil.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Our ride home from SC to VA was wonderful. 85 down the interstate and never felt a bump.

Not to be a jerk but as you have seen with the air bags every thing on these MH's doesn't always work as expected especially with a new rig. If you had a blowout at 85 you and your family would be a news item for one night. Please rethink your driving. Driving a 40000 lb.motor home that fast is not safe.
Sorry I was typing on my phone and didn't catch my mistake. We were on INTERSTATE 85...not going 85. A notoriously bumpy interstate. Thanks for the concern but we kept it at 65 mph
Old 07-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillH24 View Post
Sorry I was typing on my phone and didn't catch my mistake. We were on INTERSTATE 85...not going 85. A notoriously bumpy interstate. Thanks for the concern but we kept it at 65 mph

That really makes me feel better. It's not really my business but it was a concern.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
That really makes me feel better. It's not really my business but it was a concern.
No worries I would have said the same thing!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #16

Ok. Sort of on topic speaking of jacks. In what order was everyone with a charleston told to set up?
Level first an put out slides or slides first?
Thanks
New owners
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #17

Always level first. Slide out and door is closed and no body is moving or walking in the motorhome. When the motorhome is leveled, we open the slide out.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #18

How do you know the airbags are at 125?
Dogs: Vinny & Griz
RVMikeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #19

Mike I check visual the top of the tire space to the fenders.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #20

I check my rock guard --it drags the ground when air bags are down. Can also tell by your step.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension