Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Bad House Batteries?

On my 2012 Charleston, after leaving it plugged in all winter, the dealer tells me I've overcharged my batteries and should replace them with new gel ones which can withstand overcharging better. Anyone have any thoughts on if these batteries are the way to go? In the meantime I've topped them off and let them recharge.

Related (?), my Equalizer System jacks don't seem to want to work. I'm wondering if the batteries are the issue or if there is something else wrong. When I turn it on the power light plus all four jack lights are on. If I hit auto-level, I get one beep, no action. If I hit All Retract, the Operating light comes on for a second, beeps once then 5-6 quick beeps and then powers itself off. I've also tried running it with the generator on to ensure it wasn't a battery issue, but no luck.

Help!

2012 Charleston BHQS
6 people & a dog!
Towing 2013 Ram or 2014 Durango
chabbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #2

Actually, when I set the panel to charge from the generator, the leveler works. Seems the generator can charge but not plugged in. Hmmm. Thoughts?

2012 Charleston BHQS
6 people & a dog!
Towing 2013 Ram or 2014 Durango
Old 05-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #3

I don't know about your equalizer system, but your dealer is full of shinola.

You don't need to replace them with expensive gel's. If you're an occasional camper I would probably suggest you replace them with 6v golf cart batteries (x2 to make 12 volts or x4 to increase available amp hours). I don't know what type or capacity you have on there now, but odds are, if it was dealer supplied when you bought your rig, you'll be getting more bang for your buck over what you currently have installed.

At a box store they can usually be had for around $85-90 each.

What you DO need to do however, is to disconnect your battery/ies negative cable when your rig is unused for any length of time and learn some basic battery maintenance techniques. You can leave it plugged in to shore power, but as you found out, you can cook your batteries off with continuous charging with a stock converter/charger.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Gel Cell battery wouldn't be the choice battery they will get over charged at 14.4 volts and destroy them very quickly. A better choice would be AGM batteries which want to be charged at 14.4 to 14.7 and float charged at 13.8. Also equalization of an AGM battery isn't required. AGM absorbed Glass Mat
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Once you solve the good/bad battery problem, get a battery tender ( TM) and disconnect battery from Convertor and connect to battery tender. I have had motorcycles and RV on Battery Tenders continually when not being used for up to 7 years.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

What's the best way to determine if the batteries need to be replaced. Are there some general guidelines or tests?
Old 05-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabbey View Post
What's the best way to determine if the batteries need to be replaced. Are there some general guidelines or tests?
Auto parts stores can load test......If there's a Harbor Freight or cheapo tool dealer around, the load checker's aren't costly..If you have a volt meter, take a pos. to neg. reading, then pull one cable off, wait a bit, then read the meter again....if it's the same reading, then re-connect cable, apply a load( lights), let sit a little and pull the cable again and see what voltage you have... if it changes after the lights, shopping time. Also, wouldn't hurt to wire brush the terminals and cable ends first.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #8

Ok, tested and they are bad. Getting some AGM batteries. Is there anything that has to be changed on the control panel to properly handle and charge the AGM's?

Tags
battery