Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

Bent my rim and need some advice

While driving around a tight curve, my right rear wheel snagged the edge of a rock wall and bent the rim. It is about 1.5 inches of the rim that was affected. There is a slow air leak. I was able to make it to my destination about 5 miles up the road and set up camp for the weekend. I have the ability to add air as needed to get it to a repair shop to replace the wheel. Would it be a bad idea to drive it to a shop as long as I checked the air frequently and added as needed? I am a currently camped in a pretty remote location and would prefer to get it somewhere more accessible if possible, but I don't want to do anything to make matters worse.

It's a Class A diesel with a tag. The rim affected is the right rear dually. Any ideas to stop the slow leak between the tire and the rim on the way to the shop? There was no damage to the tire or the coach, amazingly enough. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
dano50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

Beat the rim with a big hammer.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 06-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Anyway you can snap a pic of the wheel? Is it steel or aluminum?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #4

I bent an aluminum rim on my TT 2 years ago and found an exact replacement (same design) for $65.00. I actually bought an extra for the spare tire.

I can't find the link or email showing the exact place I bought it from but I think it was this one:
Custom Trailer Wheels | Aluminum Trailer Rims | Boat Trailer Wheels
or this one:
Aluminum Trailer Wheels for Boat, Jetski and Enclosed Trailers.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Anyway you can snap a pic of the wheel? Is it steel or aluminum?
It's aluminum. Still figuring out how to add a photo correctly.
Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu0yzhnp6x..._3432.JPG?dl=0

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alwheel.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	112248  
Old 06-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano50 View Post
It's aluminun. Here's a link to a pic. Hoe I did it right.

Then don't hit it with the hammer.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 06-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
Site Team

I fixed your image link above.

You definitely don't want to hit an aluminum wheel with a hammer. It can crack as well as explode in your face.

I would call ahead to some tire shops that work on 18 wheelers/commercial vehicles since you have a commercial size tire (22.5).

They actually make a wheel straightener that basically is a hydraulic porta power with proper size wheel dies..that can press the wheel back. You have to do this slow and add heat to the wheel at the same time so the aluminum can bend back. Problem is, it may leave heat marks and/or take a clear coat off the wheel if applicable.

There may be other ways, but I got away from the commercial tire side years ago, and haven't kept up with it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

Try to find wheel repair center. The ones we use most are mobile. They can work miracles on a lot of different type wheels.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

Bent my rim and need some advice

I'd get a rubber sledge hammer and pound it back. 50/50 it will fix it We've done it many times in our trucking company.

To beat it back would be a short term fix if it were mine. I would replace the wheel at your earliest convenience

Russell.
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I fixed your image link above.

You definitely don't want to hit an aluminum wheel with a hammer. It can crack as well as explode in your face.

I would call ahead to some tire shops that work on 18 wheelers/commercial vehicles since you have a commercial size tire (22.5).

They actually make a wheel straightener that basically is a hydraulic porta power with proper size wheel dies..that can press the wheel back. You have to do this slow and add heat to the wheel at the same time so the aluminum can bend back. Problem is, it may leave heat marks and/or take a clear coat off the wheel if applicable.

There may be other ways, but I got away from the commercial tire side years ago, and haven't kept up with it.
Thanks for fixing the image.

I have been advised to replace rather than repair in this situation. I don't want to take a chance on being wrong here. Too much at stake. As advised, I am replacing the tire as well just in case. It appears fine, but that doesn't mean that it is.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

Only a good truck tire center will know what your rim and tire are salvageable or not
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #12

If it's aluminum, it's scrap.

Even asked about putting an inner tube in, as I also had just a slow leak, but that is now illegal.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Beat the rim with a BFH.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
That pictures is tough to see. Looks more like a stainless wheel cover over steel rim. If so take cover off and beat it back with a hammer. If it is aluminum,. I wouldn't try to bend it and at 100 psi plus, probably not much to plug it up. Find the nearest heavy truck TIRE SHOP. IF YOU are lucky they may offer a road service and come get the tire/rim and try to repair ...... Wonder if an inner tube is an option to get you home on it.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #14

That is an aluminum rim, dont mess with it until you get it and the tire inspected.
The photo showes a spot on the tire as well. You may have damaged the sidewall and could end up with a rupture. You may be safer with service truck visit than risk a crash or damage from a blow out.
Always safety first
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
That pictures is tough to see. Looks more like a stainless wheel cover over steel rim. If so take cover off and beat it back with a hammer. If it is aluminum,. I wouldn't try to bend it and at 100 psi plus, probably not much to plug it up. Find the nearest heavy truck TIRE SHOP. IF YOU are lucky they may offer a road service and come get the tire/rim and try to repair ...... Wonder if an inner tube is an option to get you home on it.

I would agree.
Hard to think, there would be aluminum wheels in that size, on an Rv..

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #16
Site Team

I have changed many an aluminum wheel in the 22.5 and 24.5 diameter sizes, in my younger years. This isn't anything new.

Aluminum Wheels - Accuride Wheel End Solutions

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/nor...t_225wheel.asp

Old 06-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #17

It is an aluminum wheel. It is for a Freightliner chassis and is made for Freightliner by Alcoa. Unfortunately it is not readily available. I can only find it through a Freightliner dealer and it had to be ordered.

A commercial tire company is ordering in the tire. I am not taking any chances with trying to repair or fix the wheel or the tire. I am calling it a loss and just replacing both. I will have to wait 3-5 days for them to arrive.

Thanks for all of the comments, suggestions, and advice.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano50 View Post
It is an aluminum wheel. It is for a Freightliner chassis and is made for Freightliner by Alcoa. Unfortunately it is not readily available. I can only find it through a Freightliner dealer and it had to be ordered.

A commercial tire company is ordering in the tire. I am not taking any chances with trying to repair or fix the wheel or the tire. I am calling it a loss and just replacing both. I will have to wait 3-5 days for them to arrive.

Thanks for all of the comments, suggestions, and advice.
Good call to replace both! Dano50,is this your "Charleston"? In your profile you list a "Rockwood TT"! Youroo!!
Old 06-26-2016, 07:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
If it's aluminum, it's scrap.

Even asked about putting an inner tube in, as I also had just a slow leak, but that is now illegal.
I would like to see the written law on that one. I know of a truck tire center near me that saw to fix a flat of a steer tire is illegal and that's bull
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Good call to replace both! Dano50,is this your "Charleston"? In your profile you list a "Rockwood TT"! Youroo!!
Well actually I don't have a FR product at all anymore. I sold the Rockwood and bought a new Monaco Diplomat. I also posted this in the Monaco forum. I was thinking the Charleston was the closest comparable FR product. That was the first one I saw that I thought fit my situation. I probably could have looked harder for somewhere else to post, but I was mostly wanting to get it up to see what y'all had to say. Great folks on these FR forums. It helped me make the right decision, as usual. Thank you!

Tags
bent

« Air horn | Radio »