Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Brand New 2014 Charleston

Last February we bought a new Charleston (2014) at LazyDays. This is the story of our experience(s).

First, I'd like to commend the River Forest Techs and warrantee folks. They were very helpful and did everything they could do to make everything right. They are good people.

Before we even got off of the RV lot, the rear bedroom slide motor went south. The folks at Lazydays fixed it and told me that there was evidence that the dining room slide had a cable replaced. I don't know how that could be since it was brand new. Anyway the tech told me that the wardrobe slide would fail too because the gear box was not heavy enough for the slide but RF would not allow him to change it until it failed. The FIRST time we took it out the bedroom slide snapped a cable. We took it in to get it fixed. The front door seemed to be leaking during rain storms. The dealership said "it needed a seal". But I looked and there wasn't any seal missing or damaged. It started leaking so bad that the fabric on the door shrank and started coming off. We went to FL from MD a few weeks ago. When we tried to bring the wardrobe slide in - the gearbox failed. Guess what, it's now out of warrantee and the repair would have been on us.

I lost two tanks of propane before we realized the propane regulator was defective. The tech admitted that they got a batch of bad regulators and they'd replace it. The real problem was how the regulator was installed at the factory. In the cargo areas the steel was rusting. I don't think they even used primer before they painted it. Very shoddy job indeed.

They made a biig deal about the endless hot water from the on demand hot water heater. It's a horrible system if you want my opinion. You waste a lot of water before the water gets hot and then it's not consistent. A RV that cost that much should have an Aquahot system.

I won't go into all the other issues, but that was the last straw for us.

I took a beating on the trade but I got rid of that RV. I know that those cables on the slides would be nothing but trouble for as long as I owned it. I replaced it with a Entegra Anthem. There is absolutely no comparison. It's like night and day. The Entegra is a magnificent coach. The Charleston is billed as a mid level luxury coach. Believe me - it isn't.

I am glad I got rid of that coach and I'll never look back. While we were at LazyDays looking at new coaches, we noticed the new Charlestons have those stupid cables on the slides - and they are the only RV's using cables. My advice, run from any RV with cables on the slides.
jberndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

Don't get overly "boastful" yet! I know nothing about Charleston and don't wanna know. BUT, about a year ago, a neighbor in an rv spot x from mine ( private resort) had a new Anthem from Lazydays. Had a hell of an electrical issue; 2 tv's, micro and other stuff. Because he was under warranty and here in central GA mountains, they shipped him all new STUFF for replacement. He still had to install them.
I was in that coach trying to assist him in finding the electrical fault. Obviously the local roving rv repair guy did!
Just saying, not justifying FR or their quality, had my share and then some of issues, BUT, I will say that in speaking with top mechanics at a HUGE privately owned dealership here in central GA, even those multi million dollar Prevost's quit!
Wish you the best and may the rv saints follow your coach wherever you guide it.
You made a hard, but wise, choice in trading. You would NEVER HAVE FELT AT EASE IN THAT CHARLESTON.
Safe travels........
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

I wasn't trying to be boastful and I hope it didn't come across that way. Personally I think if you pay as much as we did the coach should be better equipped. For example, independent front suspension, Aquahot, entrance door that doesn't rattle or leak. The list goes on. I wish the Charleston was as nice as we thought it was when we bought it. But it just wasn't. I probably would have stuck with it if it wasn't for those cable slides.
jberndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

After reading an thinking about it, as a owner of a 2015 RB Charleston
My thought sounds like end of year model. Or at least been sitting around for sometime, point is like mine everyone an there brother has been thru it, maybe even taken to some shows, played with by some that are not motor home aware, I got one slide, sofa slide with cable, I watch it closely, being aware of alignment, keep lube on cables , giving it every chance to live,I keep slide itself rollers etc lube an it comes an goes very easily , slides are inherently a problem no mater who made them.But like you cables bother me. Everyone on these forums always, it should have this an that an the other, you bought what you bought because of price point bottom line, pay more you get more, you now have an excellent motor home in the entegra . But it too will have problems. For me I think I got a lot of motor home for the $ I spent, an as far as motor homes go we have only had minor adjust problems. FR has been very attentive to our needs. Hope you have good luck with the new one
Motor Safe
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #5

Sorry you had such a rough time with the Charleston. We have the 2015RB, almost a full year to date. Yes we have had numerous issues that I wish had never happened....BUT overall we would do it again, without hesitation. Forest River customer service reps Mike B. and Randy H. have gone out of their way to correct any and all issues and to make us happy. Not sure there is any other pusher that beats the Charleston at this price point.
We have almost 9000 miles and 180 nights in ours. All things considered we are very happy. Best of luck to you.

2015 Forest River Charleston 430 RB
2017 GMC 1500 Denali

Harley2152 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, charleston